PDA

View Full Version : Oxycon advice wanted

cropwell
16-07-2018, 07:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a small oxy/acetylene kit that uses disposable cylinders of oxygen, which last 10-20 mins each and cost £20 - £23 a pop. I have been thinking about a 5L/min concentrator which I can get for £235. The are normally used to power an oxy propane burner for lampworking glass.

I am told they pressurise to 89 psi.

Has anybody any experience of using a small torch like mine, made by Walkover (now I think they brand as Oxygas) with an oxygen concentrator ?

Neale
17-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Don't know anything about the concentrator approach, but that kind of price could get you something like this (https://www.wellyweld.com/products/Hobbyweld-Oxygen-Gas-Fill-Charge-72667.aspx), with enough left over for a regulator if what you have already doesn't fit. I use these people for my mig welding gas - no rental makes it attractive for home use. Fraction of the price of the little disposable bottles.

cropwell
17-07-2018, 01:05 PM
I use these people for my mig welding gas So do I, and I have considered them. When you add a regulator and the fill charge, you are not far off the concentrator setup cost, and to me it is a bit of a meh decision (not a lot in it). I can only find one reference on t'Interweb about using a concentrator for brazing, and that is oxy-propane used by bike frame builders.

Really, I was looking for anyone who could say they had done it and it works (or doesn't).