PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: G-code failure help needed please

Farranwilliam
25-07-2018, 04:11 PM
I purchased a 50 X 40 router engraver in the hope that I could start a hobby for my old age ( I am only 80 yet) I have failed and I hope some kind person will come to my rescue I will be happy to pay a fee to some one who will write G-code for a house name sign (SAN JOSE) about 16"X 6" with a groove on the perimeter also G-code for the attached image about 12" X 6"
I will be really pleased if these can be done for me

magicniner
25-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Someone will recommend free CAD/CAM shortly, I can't as I spent money for commercial use, a perpetual license and no one changing anything without telling me (Fusion360).
I'm afraid I can't do this for you as I have too much paid work queued to take time out and do stuff for less than shop rate for several months,
Regards,
Nick

Farranwilliam
26-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Someone will recommend free CAD/CAM shortly, I can't as I spent money for commercial use, a perpetual license and no one changing anything without telling me (Fusion360).
I'm afraid I can't do this for you as I have too much paid work queued to take time out and do stuff for less than shop rate for several months,
Regards,
Nick

Farranwilliam
26-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Thank you for your reply, If you can devote the time soon please let me know the cost of writing the G-code so that I will know how much to send you Farranwilliam.

cropwell
26-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Hi,

Inkscape is free, but I find it shit for creating dxf files. There is Draftsight for nowt, Libre Office have a CAD program. To get to Gcode you will need something like CAMBAM or G-Simple, but I have never used these, I use Estlcam, which is fairly cheap.

With your image, you will need to trace it with Inkscape to get to vectors so you can create a file for further processing. If I were not unwell (hot weather and whisky :witless:) I would be happier to help you.

The Sign you want doing is the easiest, but what font and what DOC's. I'll PM you soon.

Cheers,

Rob

Wal
29-07-2018, 08:25 PM
Hmm,

I'd hesitate to send you any code as what my software generates is very unlikely to work on your engraver (without me knowing exactly what post processor you use, where you're zeroing off etc. etc. - it's a bit of a minefield, best not go there!)

What I will say, though - is that the image you uploaded is far from ideal in terms of getting enough information from it in order to generate an engraving that's going to look any good...

This is likely to be a hiding to nothing, but I've poked it around a bit and improved the contrast for you so now it looks like this:

It's still not great, but the attached .pdf (look for it at the bottom of this post) now contains the vector (or line) information that your software should recognise and be able to use to tell the machine what it is that needs to be cut...

Wal.

cropwell
29-07-2018, 09:07 PM
I'd hesitate to send you any code as what my software generates is very unlikely to work on your engraver (without me knowing exactly what post processor you use, where you're zeroing off etc. etc. - it's a bit of a minefield, best not go there!)

Hi Wal, OP seems to use Mach3 set up in metric. I have sent him some code to play with, just to prompt up the problems. So far it looks as though he has hit the 500 lines demo limit, so if he wants to continue, he will need a licence. At least now he has some code to carve a sign for his house, and if it doesn't work we will have a chat by phone or email to get him pointed in the right direction. That way we can get the dross of the problems sorted before reporting back to the forum.

When we have the machine set up, I can send him the face on Gcode. Thanks for doing that, it look great and it saved me a bit of trouble farting about with Inkscape Trace.

Cheers, Rob

Wal
30-07-2018, 12:21 AM
No probs, Rob - glad to help.

I do a fair bit of tracing in Photoshop/Illustrator and have a couple of approaches that save me from too much farting about..!

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Farranwilliam
30-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Thank you Wal, The improved image looks great and I hope to use it asap Joe

Farranwilliam
30-07-2018, 12:41 PM
HI Wal and Rob,
I understand that the soulution to my problem is to purchase software such as Mach3 .
Or would you suggest a different package ? and if so which one ? Joe

cropwell
30-07-2018, 12:56 PM
What have you got so far ? When you mentioned a 500 line limit, my guess was you had an unlicensed copy of Mach3.

Farranwilliam
30-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Yes the copy which I have came with the machine and is obviously un licenced and is therefore no use to me.
What do you suggest that I should purchase ----- I expect that there is no free suitable package available ?

cropwell
30-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Hi Joe,

It depends what you mean by 'Free' and 'Suitable'. LinuxCNC is free, but I wouldn't like to take it on at my age. For a start I am settled with Mach3 and on this forum there is a wealth of experience with it. That is not to say there are not experts on LinuxCNC here - there are and lots of other controllers are discussed, but they all cost money.

My solution, if I were you, would be ask your machine supplier why no licence included, or purchase a licence from Artsoft directly (especially if your supplier is in China). If you can run a cut in Demo mode, then you are well on they way with Mach3.

I am saying this with no knowledge of your machine, give us the details please !

That is my two pennies worth - no doubt others will step in with more and better advice.

Cheers,

Rob

Farranwilliam
31-07-2018, 11:01 AM
THANKS Rob,
I have decided to purchase the Mach 3 from Artsoft and hope that I will succeed with it Joe.

Farranwilliam
01-08-2018, 03:22 PM
I have the machine setup and working OK now, Will you be able to send me the g-code so as I can produce the image Joe

cropwell
01-08-2018, 03:38 PM
That's great Joe, how are you getting on with the house sign gcode ? When I know that that works, I can do the picture of Eamon, otherwise there will be some tweaking to do.

Also, do you want the picture the same size as supplied or scaled to a particular size ?