PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what Lathe to buy

NWB
30-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Hi there,

i am currently in the process of researching what CNC lathe to buy, the criteria for the lathe is that it:
-must be able to machine cylindrical parts of a length up to 300mm. and work for diameters up to 65mm diameter.
-be able to grip and turn a part from both ends (this isn't necessary but would be ideal)
-must have a cooling system (will be used to cut hardened steel)
-Must be as cheap as possible, i'm aware that what i'm asking for is quite specific, however we are working to a budget.

Finally what would be your purchasing recommendations? are there any locations in the UK where i would be able to browse these machines in a form of shop?

it can be desktop or a unit, however minimum space would be ideal.

m_c
30-07-2018, 11:18 PM
Anything that meets those criteria, is going to be quite substantial in size.

If you want 65mm through bore, you're looking at a pretty large lathe.
Twin spindle lathes/machining centres are going to increase cost significantly.
Hardened steel requires lots of rigidity and power.
Define cheap.

magicniner
31-07-2018, 05:50 PM
I think you should start by researching what is actually available, at what cost and with what physical size.
Your wish list doesn't bring anything available to mind that isn't at least the size of a Smart Car ;-)

tjm229
19-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Hi

If your looking for a 65mm dia CNC production lathe at a good price with flexibility, you can’t go wrong with a Traub TNM 65 or TNC65. These are robust machines with good capability.

Have a look at some of the <a href=“ https://www.mmturnedparts.co.uk”>turned components</a> we do on ours.

Regards

Tim