PDA

View Full Version : Wood swap

Fivetide
27-08-2018, 04:28 PM
I have struggled like mad over the last year or so trying to connect with people who have spare wood blanks and felled lumber that they want to swap or sell. So I have started a little free forum to try and put people like me in touch with others.
I'm sorry if I'm a breaking a rule by posting this link but there seems to be this lack of communication for turners like myself trying to obtain uk hardwoods without paying through the nose. :grumpy:

Link http://woodswap.boards.net/

m_c
27-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Have you tried local firewood/log suppliers?

My brother does firewood, and he has a couple guys who occasionally call in for a look at what he's got, and he keeps any good burrs for them.

Fivetide
28-08-2018, 01:23 AM
Have you tried local firewood/log suppliers?

My brother does firewood, and he has a couple guys who occasionally call in for a look at what he's got, and he keeps any good burrs for them.

Unfortunately although firewood is plentiful in my area, its been left out to dry for burning and 90% of it is so split from shrinkage that its useless for turning. You have to turn it to blanks and seal the end grain ASAP to let it dry slowly to avoid all the shakes and splits.