PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: New here, first CNC build project.

Voxmagna
19-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Hi, I'm new here and will be needing some help! I still do through hole printed circuit work and a bit of engraving so I'm looking to build my first CNC machine. Electronics isn't a problem for me, but getting the right parts that all work together may be?

I've decided to build a good quality 3-4 axis 3040 machine with 1000 kHz spindle as I'm using 0.3-0.9mm drills and pcb milling needs fine track separation if achievable? I looked carefully at the many Chinese ready builds circa £1k and most came with unacceptable compromises. Many are using 12mm ball screws and bump up the price with large spindle motors and bed size. Pulling apart their specs to see what they are is a minefield of caveat emptor!

I have a bare 3040 gantry frame with decent slides and 16mm ball screws on all axis on the way. It's a lot heavier than the hundreds of machines on Fleabay and can take up to an 80mm spindle motor so I'm optimistic for a starter build?

Thanks in advance as I will be asking about spindles, stepper motors and controllers to start my build.

Fivetide
19-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Hi Voxmagna welcome to the forums - I had exactly the same problem were to start how to build it what do I need I'm no engineer either so I went with openbuild cnc (https://openbuilds.com/builds/openbuilds-ox-cnc-machine.341/) kit - I've bought some parts from china some off ebay some bits from my local engineers, goes together like a mechano set and there's loads of good YouTube videos and a great forum about how to wire and put it together. Personally I like the idea that I can make it bigger later just by buying bigger C beams - Its just a thought mate. Unfortunately its a minefield - a lot of folks hate the thought of any Chinese cnc's others only recommend industrial grade equipment some will advise buying and restoring which takes years - it goes on and on lol. For me its the path of least resistance -what do I know what do I want - what can I do myself + i want to learn for future builds. That's why I chose the path of open-builds - no drilling no cutting - good instructional videos lots and lots of parts add-on's and help, hope this helps

Voxmagna
19-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Thanks, that's very much where I'm going. I don't have a lathe/mill so I'm tied to getting the bed parts already made (accurately I hope?). The rest as you say is like Meccano. What amazes me (because I'm green) is most of the Chinese stuff is pushing Mach3 ripoffs, parallel port PC control and Windows 32 bit. Support for XP is pretty much dead now, PC Motherboards don't come with parallel ports, usb port emulators don't always work and 32 bit is just about still around for now ( I use 32/64 Win7).

My PCB CAD can output G-code files, so I'll be looking for a simple interface, I may even consider open source Linux or Arduino - it's always the usb drivers or lack of them that frustrate platform compatibility. E.g I have a good A3 printer but no 64 bit usb driver. I saw a Chinese machine with a simple controller display that read CNC files direct from an SD card which would make it pretty future proof. I assume the spindle motor and drive have their own manual controller and it's XYZ(A) that needs the thought and software interfaces?

Now I've introduced myself and and set the scene, I'll start posting in the main sections.

Fivetide
19-01-2019, 10:13 PM
I use GRBL Panel + arduino its not rocket science believe me if I can work it out anyone can and it totally free. If u just want to g-code sender it works on Raspi. all I have is 3 TB6560's connected to an uno power supply and shitty old dell laptop - works fine - took me about an hour to configure it all and set the steps etc using YouTube video's