PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: lots of questions

jsa2001
29-09-2009, 02:15 AM
Hi i'm a total noob and have been trying to get infor on buying a mini milling machine and turning it into cnc.

Im looking at buying a Shirline milling machine, it's size is right for what i need it for. Has anyone used these?

I would like to convert it to cnc with a ready to go or plug and play kits as it were, I believe these are available for this machine, roughly how much would these kits cost? I know these use NEMA #23 motors.

I dont want to write code initially or do i have to, to make cnc parts? Can the software generate the programming code for me?

I have Rhino2 from years ago, i have no problem with making 3D images with graphics software or computers.

Sorry for the questions i have so many.

Thanks

irving2008
29-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi i'm a total noob and have been trying to get infor on buying a mini milling machine and turning it into cnc.

Im looking at buying a Shirline milling machine, it's size is right for what i need it for. Has anyone used these?

I would like to convert it to cnc with a ready to go or plug and play kits as it were, I believe these are available for this machine, roughly how much would these kits cost? I know these use NEMA #23 motors.

I dont want to write code initially or do i have to, to make cnc parts? Can the software generate the programming code for me?

I have Rhino2 from years ago, i have no problem with making 3D images with graphics software or computers.

Sorry for the questions i have so many.

Thanks

Hi jsa2001

Google is your friend... or see this thread

Basically a CNC Kit for a CNC-ready Sherline Mill is around $250 or about the same in GBP once shipped into UK. You might be better off buying the thing ready-converted as it may be cheaper (unless you are buying a secondhand mill)

There are various software routes, programming is not required (but worth learning). Have a browse through the pages of this forum to get some ideas, there are several threads on the subject.

jsa2001
29-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi jsa2001

Google is your friend... or see this thread (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349)

Basically a CNC Kit for a CNC-ready Sherline Mill is around $250 or about the same in GBP once shipped into UK. You might be better off buying the thing ready-converted as it may be cheaper (unless you are buying a secondhand mill)

There are various software routes, programming is not required (but worth learning). Have a browse through the pages of this forum to get some ideas, there are several threads on the subject.

Thanks i've had a quote from a UK supplier for a retrofitting sherline cnc kit it comes to more 3 times the cost of the same kit sold in the USA. JUST SHORT OF £800, does that seem correct?

HiltonSteve
29-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Is that £800 for just the mechanical parts or does that include the motors, drivers etc??

jsa2001
29-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Is that £800 for just the mechanical parts or does that include the motors, drivers etc??

Hi here's a breakdown 3 stepper motors at £75.25 each, control box £576
£220 for the motor adapters or £835 with the adaptors already on the mill ready to receive the cnc kit.

HiltonSteve
29-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi here's a breakdown 3 stepper motors at £75.25 each, control box £576
£220 for the motor adapters or £835 with the adaptors already on the mill ready to receive the cnc kit.

That seems mighty expensive for 3 steppers and a control box, check this out - http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/cnc_systems.html

I used 5A Driver50's for my machine (Router) with 3 x 3.1Nm (5A) 23 size steppers, got the whole electronic kit from Roy (DIYCNC) which also included a 36V PSU and breakout board for just over £300. The only thing you will need is a box to put them all in, I made my own but one or two people use PC cases, wiring them up is a piece of cake. Check out my build log which may give you a few ideas. My Build - I blame you lot for this....! - MYCNCUK

What power are the steppers that they are offering?

jsa2001
29-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Think they might be these.http://www.sherline.com/67127pg.htm
The quote i got is from a Sherline dealer over here. MillHill supplies.
Im usless at electrics but can build pc's and problem solve them.

jsa2001
29-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Your system looks really neat and well set out as i said not to sure how to wire the whole thing up.

HiltonSteve
29-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Check this out, may be right up your street. Don't know anyone that has got one but Roy would not be selling crap. http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/system4.html. Very little wiring to do on this one.

2.5A drivers
3.1Nm steppers
Modular design - much less wiring

With Power supply - £250

All you will need is a box to put it in, not a very big one either by the looks of it!

But if you do go for something that needs more wires then don't worry about it, wiring drivers, steppers breakout boards is a lot easier than you think. Wiring by numbers most of the time, took me an hour to get mine up and running on the bench and that was my first attempt!

jsa2001
29-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Thats with stepper motors correct? I might give him a bell.
I might by the sherline mill with mounts and stepper motors and just use it manually for a while then fit a kit like the one you posted.

HiltonSteve
29-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Thats with stepper motors correct? I might give him a bell.
I might by the sherline mill with mounts and stepper motors and just use it manually for a while then fit a kit like the one you posted.

Yep, that price includes steppers.

Roy deals by email only, don't be put off by it as it will be worth it. I have been and met him when I collected my stuff as he is only about half an hour down the road from me and he is a top bloke. Very helpful and certainly knows what he is talking about.

jsa2001
30-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Ok thanks for your time and patience, really appreciate it. I'll do some more thinking which way to go and probably be back with more questions....lol.

Thanks again.

jsa2001
01-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Hi again. I contacted Roy at cnc systems, he said he could sort me out with a ready made kit So thats another thing sorted. Just need to sort out the mach 3 software which i just downloaded. Looks complicated. I do 3D graphics and have Cinema 4d and Rhino 2 which output DXF files. Is that what the cnc software uses?

HiltonSteve
01-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Glad to hear that Roy has sorted you out.

OK, Mach3 is just a stepper motor control program and a very good one. It needs to be programmed using G codes which is a industry standard that is used worldwide, so you have 2 options -

1 - Teach yourself how to write G code and write the programs by hand. I still use this method for simple jobs.

2 - Get yourself a CAD/CAM program which you can import your DXF's and certain format of 3D designs into, the CAM software will then write you the G Code program. Have a look at http://www.artcam.com/ for starters, should give you an idea.

I have been using CNC's for quite a few years now and up until recently i used to write all my own programs by hand, now times have changed and using the correct software makes writing G code much easier. Now I do all my modelling in Solid Edge and then load the model into either FeatureCam or ArtCam depending on the type of job I am doing, you then tell it what tools to use and the how you want to machine the job then the software will create the G Code.

I suggest you teach yourself the G Code basics first and get to understand how it works, google is your friend!