PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 60W PSU in the UK????

Davek0974
17-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Hi all

i have just moved my China Red/Black laser form work to home and its now blowing the RCDs at home, we only had MCB's at work and they were fine.

The PSU must be leaky so need a new one.

Anyone know where to get a 60w PSU from in the UK??

Its a model MYJG-60W

Thanks

Dave

Lee Roberts
17-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Hi Dave,

These laser PSU's look to be made originally by a company called Cloudray cloudraylaser.com/60-80w-power-supply (https://www.cloudraylaser.com/collections/60-80w-power-supply).

I managed to find them on Amazon, eBay and Aliexpress for you if you can wait and get it cheaper?

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloudray-Laser-Supply-AC110V-MYJG-60W/dp/B07C2X6B4B

eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V-PSU-CO2-Laser-Power-Supply-for-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine/123201396714

Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/60W-CO2-Laser-Power-Supply-for-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-MYJG-60W/32819644048.html

Hope this help's !

P.S Can you not open the power supply to see if there is anything obvious gone wrong, maybe do some test's ?

Davek0974
17-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Lee,

I'll order a cloudray unit, its the same code but different mounting so holes to drill etc :(

I have opened it up, no visible signs of any fault, its just leaky i think, just enough to trip the RCD, the only other option is to run a special circuit from the panel on a standard MCB but thats not easy as the laser is in the spare bedroom on the opposite side of the house to the panel :(

Davek0974
17-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Ordered a unit on AliExpress from Cloudray, paid extra for DHL shipping, still cheaper than eBay ;)

Lee Roberts
17-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Cool glad to of been a help, let me know when it comes :cool:

Wondering if you could just swap what looks to be the lids over, the top and sides look to be one sheet folded and then folded on the ends to form the mounting point...could equal no drilling of new holes.

Davek0974
18-03-2019, 08:08 AM
Nah, i looked inside the one i have and it has semiconductors bolted to the back case panel.

I could make an adaptor mount panel easily if the sizes work out, if not i'll have to drill some holes.

Lee Roberts
18-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Ahh fair enough, new holes sound less involved then!

Voicecoil
18-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Incidentally, if it is simply a leakage matter (sometimes caused by a slightly wonky interference filter on the PSU input), adding an isolation transformer will often cure it.

Davek0974
19-03-2019, 08:05 AM
Thats what i thought, i'll keep that idea as a final option. I think i am right that in this instance I would continue the earth connection through to the machine as well, for static and safety reasons - its a complex matter when using isolating transformers.

Voicecoil
19-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Yes, certainly keep the earth running through, it still has some safety value and will likely help with interference supression as well. And you'd only need a very basic 230V: 230V (or 230V : 2 x 115V) transformer, not the typical industrial types that have 380V inputs and auxiliary 24V windings.

Davek0974
20-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Well, there's salutary lesson in checking things again and again....

Fitting the new PSU, drilled holes, mounted, went to check the connections and.......found what was the original fault !

Have a look at the picture below of the mains power connector in place, those with eagle-eyes will spot the error, an error that means the machine will run fine on a supply with only MCB's but will fail on a supply with RCD's.....

Spotted it yet?

Our wonderful Chinese machine builders have wired the Neutral and Earth connections in the wrong order so the supply was across the earth and live not the live and neutral. Passing the current to earth (although electrically connected at the main supply) is enough to trip the RCD every time.

So £120 and three days later (good speed from China) I now have a new PSU plus the old one as a spare :(

Oh well, lesson learned but in my defence, the old PSU did not have markings for the supply terminals so without the new one as reference it probably would not have been spotted.

Voicecoil
20-03-2019, 09:07 PM
The oriental numpty farm is obviously still going strong.... just be thankful that live and neutral weren't swapped at your workplace.....

Davek0974
20-03-2019, 10:27 PM
The oriental numpty farm is obviously still going strong.... just be thankful that live and neutral weren't swapped at your workplace.....

Could have been entertaining ;)