PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Ay-up from the sunny peak district!

beado4ever
01-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Hello to everyone.:wave:

I've got a good background in carpentry and general practical hands-on type work.

Needlesss to say I have next to no idea how to go about taking my interest to the next level, i.e. running a cnc.

I've seen lots of homebuilt cnc machines and I am sure i could build the hardware but thats where my confidence runs out.

I don't even know what I don't know!!!:confused:

So, and i'm sure this will be the first of many, many questions, where should i start?

Any clues would be great......

HiltonSteve
01-10-2009, 07:58 PM

I've got a good background in carpentry and general practical hands-on type work.

Needlesss to say I have next to no idea how to go about taking my interest to the next level, i.e. running a cnc.

I've seen lots of homebuilt cnc machines and I am sure i could build the hardware but thats where my confidence runs out.

So, and i'm sure this will be the first of many, many questions, where should i start?

You could start by driving 20mins down the A50 to my house and have a look at what your about to get into if you like!

Oh yeah, and get ready to spend some of your hard earned!

irving2008
01-10-2009, 10:24 PM

Well taking Steve up on his offer would be a good way to get an appreciation of what your about to let yourself in for, but to start, you need to decide what your eventual goal is (gives clues about size & accuracy), what materials you plan to cut (gives clues as to rigidity, power, accuracy), whether this is for doing one-offs or productions runs (speed here being the critical factor), and last of all budget (never enough!).

None of this is difficult, it just seems that way because of the wide range of disciplines needed - engineering and/or woodworking, electronics, software setup, and overall systems integration. But taken step by step and with help from the friendly bunch here its very do-able.