PDA

View Full Version : Help with .stl file

johnsattuk
08-06-2019, 07:29 PM
I want to cnc a scaloped guitar fretboard, similar to the pics.

I can draw what I need in my ancient Acad but not generate a model or an stl file.

I wondered if anyone would be willing to generate a model and a file

EddyCurrent
08-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Try this, Yngwie :cocksure:

Edit: this file was incorrect, the correct ones are attached to a more recent post below

johnsattuk
08-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Many thanks, opens perfectly in Estlcam :eagerness::eagerness::eagerness:

Yngwie ? I wish, don't have a musical bone in my body, but do enjoy listening and watching him.

I belong to a men's shed and run a cnc router I built for them, there are several guitar makers there and they keep discovering the joys of CNCing

cropwell
09-06-2019, 11:32 AM
Hi John,

Here's a guitar maker and player from Barrow-on-Soar who makes excellent guitars (without CNC) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzPD1ZQca0

Cheers,

Rob

Ger21
09-06-2019, 11:52 AM
30 years ago, I built a guitar with a scalloped freetboard. I did it with files and sandpaper. :)

johnsattuk
09-06-2019, 11:53 AM
Hi Eddy

Sorry to impose on your good nature, if possible could you do the same to these files, it has a different neck radius.

Funny lot these guitar makers :apologetic:

Hi Rob, won't open in my firefox browser

johnsattuk
09-06-2019, 11:58 AM
30 years ago, I built a guitar with a scalloped freetboard. I did it with files and sandpaper. :)

I bet you used to cut up your plywood sheets with a handsaw :adoration:

John

EddyCurrent
09-06-2019, 02:28 PM
John,

It's a good job you came back with more files because it made me realise I did not put a radius on the first stl model. :apologetic:
I will do them now.

Just to check, looking at the drawings (properly this time) the fretboards appear to have a compound radius, i.e. a different radius at the nut than at the last fret, is that correct ?

johnsattuk
09-06-2019, 03:21 PM
Hi Eddy

Yes they do have a compound radius, and each guitar maker seems to have his own preferences, had not noticed the lack of radii since only looked at them in Esltcam

John

EddyCurrent
09-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Sorry about the oversight earlier, these two files are correct and as per drawings.

Images show the stl files opened in CamBam

In the CAD (Rhino6) I used a "Two Rail Sweep" with the end profiles being the two rails and the scalloped profile being the cross section.

johnsattuk
09-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Hi Eddy

Thanks once again, I consider that a fortunate escape for me, they get a bit precious over their bits of wood :friendly_wink:

I bet one of them will want a flat one anyway

John

EddyCurrent
09-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Some people also CNC cut the fret slots but I use these;

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Fretting/StewMac_Fret_Scale_Templates.html
https://crimsonguitars.com/store/circular-fret-saw-blade/

johnsattuk
09-06-2019, 05:17 PM
I have been CNC cutting the slots, allows cutting on the radius and also somebody wanted blind slots, a bit cross your fingers with .5 mm cutters in hard wood

cropwell
09-06-2019, 07:20 PM
I have been CNC cutting the slots, allows cutting on the radius and also somebody wanted blind slots, a bit cross your fingers with .5 mm cutters in hard wood

So what have you been using so far for the open slots ?

johnsattuk
09-06-2019, 11:33 PM
Ive been using 0.5 mm slot drills, I generate the code using Fretboard.exe which is in imperial, so generate the code and scale it in Discriminator to suit the Estlcam controller.

johnsattuk
10-06-2019, 08:04 PM
Cut a test one in a bit of pine, :triumphant:

EddyCurrent
10-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Looks okay, did you check both ends with radius gauges ?

I'm not a fan of marker dots these days, I just use side dots and one at the 12th fret as a logo.

What's the difference between a scalloped board and just using tall frets ? of course with the cnc it's no more difficult to make.

Also don't be worried about asking me to process more dxf files, if it's to do with guitars I'm on board.

johnsattuk
11-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Never had any experience with guitar making until now, have got dragged into it and actually finding it very interesting :biggrin:

The guitar lads soon get out their guages etc whenever I cut something for them. as a non player I also wondered about tall frets.

Thanks for the offer of help with files, I may well be asked for something different.

johnsattuk
14-06-2019, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=EddyCurrent;109021]Looks okay, did you check both ends with radius gauges ? [QUOTE]

Man with guages says "perfect" :adoration: