PDA

View Full Version : CNC conversion possibilities for a newbie

DaveC
05-08-2019, 03:31 PM
As previously mentioned I am pretty new to CNC but have the bug pretty bad.
I would really like to do a lathe conversion myself as a learning process but not sure where to begin learning.
How did everybody else get started and where is the best place to begin without constantly hassling people for help with daft questions.
For instance can anybody recommend any books, magazines clubs, courses etc to get me started as a beginner.
I have a wabeco mill and very small Denford lathe running mach3 but these were already converted before I bought them.
I am more than happy with the mill and it does all that I require however the lathe was bought mearly as a learning tool to get me started.
My project EVENTUALLY !! would be a conversion on a harrison m250 with the intension of keeping the machine indefinitely. Is this idea completely un realistic. I obviously don't expect to start next week and have it done by christmas but more of a looong term learning and build project.
I have suitable equipment for the manufacture of certain parts but not the electrical and CNC knowledge. With the range of parts processors, controllers, doodads and whatnots etc etc it seems a mountain to climb but everybody has to start somewhere.
I know its a big idea but it is one I really want to get into.
Any help greatly appreciated

Dave

Chaz
05-08-2019, 05:02 PM
As someone who has done a few machines now (both retrofit and new machines), start with Budget and expectation. That will drive most of your decisions.

Do you want cheap and cheerful (can be crap) or something more reliable (but costs more)?

Standalone controller (or not)?

Steppers, hybrid steppers or servos?

Good place to start.

routercnc
05-08-2019, 07:11 PM
You are in good hands with Chaz as he made a nice job of the last one (see his recent post on the Harrison 300)

If you want to watch one being converted here is a series I followed a while back when I got keen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaROPhy5UZM&app=desktop

It’s a much smaller lathe but some of the basics still apply.

Clive S
05-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Dave You are not to far from me if you want to pop over. I am in the middle of building a cnc plasma at the moment.

DaveC
05-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Hi Chaz
Thanks for taking the time to reply.Without wanting to sound obnoxious I am lucky enough at present to have a pretty good and open budget. My aim is to produce an accurate quality machine that will last me a very good while with perhaps the option of upgrading items as time goes by and things change if required.
My main concern is where to begin learning as a total newbie.
As for controllers etc I am completely open to advise from those a lot more knowledgable than myself.

Best regards
Dave

DaveC
05-08-2019, 08:59 PM
Thanks. I have replied to chaz and I will certainly have a look at the link you have posted.

Many thanks

Dave

DaveC
05-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Thanks Clive that would be superb if you don't mind. I am currently working away from home but will be home for a week from this friday.
Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Regards

Dave

Clive S
06-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Thanks Clive that would be superb if you don't mind. I am currently working away from home but will be home for a week from this friday.
Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Regards

Dave

PM me if you want to pop over.