PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hello everyone

ken@accujet
13-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi guys,
Just stumbled across your site, extremely interesting. I have been using CNC machines professionally for the last 25 years, mostly turning and milling but a few other weird ones like cnc gear grinding and hobbing. Now I am heavily into waterjet profiling and have a small precision waterjet engineering company in Dorset.
I have particular respect for everyone building there own machines, something that takes a very rounded knowledge of the subject to achieve.
I look forward to meeting you all and following your builds.

Cheers,

Ken

audioandy
13-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Ken Welcome to the forum :beer:

Andy

Kn8
13-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Hello ken, welcome. :wave:

ken@accujet
14-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks very much for the warm welcome.

Lee Roberts
14-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi Ken, what a nice introduction...pleased to meet you to mate!

I'm new to cnc really Ken and i have my first question for you, what is hobbing ?

I think you maybe our first waterjet guy to!, welcome to the site !

lateAtNight
14-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Ken,

Welcome, its good to see this place has got another long timer. More people to tell us newbies what to do :beer:.

I'm new to CNC myself... I've managed to put together a little mill / router with the help of some people I met here, and I'm just putting the finishing touches to it.

Lee, hobbing is a cool way of making gears. Youtube it. I once asked HPC Gears to quote me the price of a hob and it was going to be something like £850 without VAT! Aahahahah. I think it was so expensive because they were going to make it especially... you do get them cheaper though... where from I don't know though.

m.marino
14-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the site and have fun watching the learning curve. I am on it and it is steep at times. But hey the more you want out of life the steeper it is.

ken@accujet
15-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks again guys, you seem like a very friendly bunch. Hobbing is really a method of producing gears in a production environment, due to the cost of the hobs, as lateatnight quite rightly points out. Some of the aluminium gears HPC sells are cut in less than 8 seconds. The hob is essentially a worm gear with flutes in it to give gutting edges and it comes in to mesh with the gear wheel (the blank) and cuts the gear. From a CNC point of view it is quite simple, the cnc contorols the rotation ratio between the cutter and blank (formerly done by gearing), the angle of the hob (pressure angle) and where the cutter feeds and stops.
Although I have been working cnc machines for years I still find it amazing that you guys build working machines in your sheds from bits you buy on the internet, respect to you all.
Ken