PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Custom sized aluminium enclosure required

benbenrf
13-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Guys - looking for someone who can machine an ally enclosure between the following min/max dimensions:

....... contacted 32 companies in the UK who advertise steel and alloy die cast enclosures for sale - not one could offer an enclosure between these sizes :whistling:.......... (yer, what's become of UK manufacturing? - that new steam engine that's just been built in the UK - we had to get the Germans - the Germans!!! - to make the boiler - this country, used to be the world leaders in steam engine design/construction)

Length (internal): 300mm – 310mm (min – max)
Width (internal): 100mm – 110mm (min – max)
Depth (internal): 32mm - 36mm (min – max)

Wall thickness: 3.5mm - 4.5mm (min -max)

Lid to go on top required - same thickness as enclosure wall thickness.

Aolly type: 6061, 7075 ... whatever, makes little difference.

If anyone out there is willing to take this on, drop me a note please. No such thing as a free lunch ... yes, thats understood.

Quite happy for someone to take this on on a "hobby" basis - theres no IP or DIN spec, or any other spec that has to be satisfied.

Thanx guys

irving2008
14-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Guys - looking for someone who can machine an ally enclosure between the following min/max dimensions:

....... contacted 32 companies in the UK who advertise steel and alloy die cast enclosures for sale - not one could offer an enclosure between these sizes :whistling:.......... (yer, what's become of UK manufacturing? - that new steam engine that's just been built in the UK - we had to get the Germans - the Germans!!! - to make the boiler - this country, used to be the world leaders in steam engine design/construction)

Length (internal): 300mm – 310mm (min – max)
Width (internal): 100mm – 110mm (min – max)
Depth (internal): 32mm - 36mm (min – max)

Wall thickness: 3.5mm - 4.5mm (min -max)

Lid to go on top required - same thickness as enclosure wall thickness.

Aolly type: 6061, 7075 ... whatever, makes little difference.

If anyone out there is willing to take this on, drop me a note please. No such thing as a free lunch ... yes, thats understood.

Quite happy for someone to take this on on a "hobby" basis - theres no IP or DIN spec, or any other spec that has to be satisfied.

Thanx guys
Would it be acceptable for the base to be removable as well as the lid? Is there any special requirements for the corners - must they be square (internal and external), or could they be radiussed (essential if machined)?

benbenrf
16-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Irving2008

Nope - no probs if the base is removable, and there is no issue regards edge radius - square, rounded .. whatever - use whatever tool you have. I'd say from true square to as much as 2mm - 3mm will be fine.....

What do
What do you have in mind regards fixture for top/bottom lids (?)- so long as the wall thickness is sufficient for small self-tapping type screws, that will be fine as I intend to cut a gasket in any case.

BillTodd
16-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Have a look at Penn Fabrication's (http://www.penn-elcom.com/Default.asp?MC=1400000&GC=Group) Module stage box system

A couple of lengths of their corner extrusion and a few plates of aluminium and bob's yer uncle...

http://www.penn-elcom.com/CatImages/CDimages150x150/MSB/FrameExtrusions/10300-20-dwg.jpg

Retail quantities can be bought from CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/_/10345-20/corner-extrusion-45-module/dp/EN55970

irving2008
16-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I was trying to find 300 x 100 x 3.2mm ali box section but no one does it that size in ali only in steel.

machining it out of 1.75" ally plate is a possible, but its £25 worth of ali. However if you plunge cut it all the way through with a 10mm cutter at least you'd end up with an approx 280 x 80 remnant which is useful; then make top n bottom out of 4mm plate.

Another option is to make it up from 4mm plate and weld up the corners... then machine clean

Robin Hewitt
17-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Another option is to make it up from 4mm plate and weld up the corners... then machine clean

Gosh that's brave, how are you going to hold it down and stop it bending away from the tool/galling once the temper has gone :naughty:

32mm deep doesn't exactly lend itself to small internal corner radii and the spec is too loose. Sounds like an invitation either to do a lot of drawing and not get the job, or chop up £25 worth of stock and then get told it's all wrong. I can see why he's having problems finding a volunteer :whistling:

irving2008
17-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Gosh that's brave, how are you going to hold it down and stop it bending away from the tool/galling once the temper has gone :naughty:

32mm deep doesn't exactly lend itself to small internal corner radii and the spec is too loose. Sounds like an invitation either to do a lot of drawing and not get the job, or chop up £25 worth of stock and then get told it's all wrong. I can see why he's having problems finding a volunteer :whistling:
Well, strangely enough, I was looking into ali welding for another problem and i came across Durafix (http://www.durafix.co.uk/)which might do the job. Anyone used it?

Robin Hewitt
17-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Well, strangely enough, I was looking into ali welding for another problem and i came across Durafix (http://www.durafix.co.uk/)which might do the job. Anyone used it?

I bought some but haven't tried it yet. May be one of those you buy which look useful but never actually use :naughty:

ken@accujet
26-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Your local waterjet shop should be able to sort that, probably for cash if you supply your own material. Base would need to be removable as said before, internal radius 0.5mm min and width of cut 0.8mm so you get back a nice lump to make something else out of. Our customers often get us to rough pockets in 50mm stainless just so they can use the 'pocket' for another job. Better than turning it into swarf!
All the best.
Ken