PDA

View Full Version : Technician required

Tony B
21-01-2020, 11:06 PM
Hi
I have a Gerber Dimension that has been running in its original format. I bought this machine to learn on and use for low volume work. However, the operating system is incredibly slow and now is on the blink.

Rather than throw money at the archaic omega system, I would like to update it to take mach3. I’m aware that steppers and ‘stuff’ will need to be replaced but I’m really not the person to do this, hence my cry for help

Does anyone know of any techies based in the Surrey area that might be able to assist?

TIA.
Tony

joss01
15-03-2020, 10:03 PM
Tony did you find a techie as I am looking for one let me know if you find one

Joss

Tony B
16-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Hi Joss

No, not one response

joss01
16-03-2020, 01:45 PM
I think I am going to look in to a career change

magicniner
16-03-2020, 01:48 PM
It's DIY or a lot of money, I think it's also a job for which you would need to deliver your machine to the workshop of the "technician" doing the job, it's not something I'd consider away from my own workshop.
Converting for money is only really worth the time for yourself or if you buy or build the machine to be converted and sell it finished, I learned enough to do this from zero CNC experience when almost 50, it's not rocket surgery, it just takes commitment and motivation ;-)

joss01
16-03-2020, 02:10 PM
No not a model engineer this is a 3 phase stone engraving machine that in daily use this is not a hobby it my profession that why I need a tech at the workshop

magicniner
16-03-2020, 07:10 PM
You have mistaken my signature for part of my post, my signature refers to the long pockets and short arms usually associated with model engineers in the UK! :D

Unless you stick your fingers into live components 3 phase is no scarier to deal with than single phase, (even with single phase it's still unwise to stick your fingers into live components) provided you work to the correct standards, which are freely available.
3 phase isn't magic or complicated but for anyone not wanting to learn my point is that for the competence you require you should expect to pay close to the price of a working machine or more, to get your machine working if someone is to come to you.

magicniner
16-03-2020, 07:14 PM
No not a model engineer this is a 3 phase stone engraving machine that in daily use this is not a hobby it my profession that why I need a tech at the workshop

This is not your thread, have you adopted it? ;-)

joss01
16-03-2020, 07:15 PM
You have mistaken my signature for part of my post, my signature refers to the long pockets and short arms usually associated with model engineers in the UK! :D

Unless you stick your fingers into live components 3 phase is no scarier to deal with than single phase, (even with single phase it's still unwise to stick your fingers into live components) provided you work to the correct standards, which are freely available.
3 phase isn't magic or complicated but for anyone not wanting to learn my point is that for the competence you require you should expect to pay close to the price of a working machine or more, to get your machine working if someone is to come to you.

Thank you for your poetic response are you capable of carrying out the work I require? yes or no will suffice

AndyUK
16-03-2020, 09:17 PM
Thank you for your poetic response are you capable of carrying out the work I require? yes or no will suffice

Rude.

JAZZCNC
16-03-2020, 11:34 PM

To be honest you'll be very lucky to find someone who is willing to take on a full conversion on-site because it's a time-consuming job. Unless the person doing the Job as done the same type of machine before and knows exactly what's required with a full understanding of the wiring etc.

The other problem you have is that many full-time CNC technicians only know Commercial brands they are trained on or will work on machines that have full wiring schematics for.
Not many will work on machines like yours because of the unknown and will run a mile if asked to do so because they know it's most likely going to turn into a cluster fuck.! . . . If they do they will want and need to charge big money because it's very time-consuming re-engineering a machine's control and tracing wires etc when there is no schematic to work from.

It can be done, I've done several on-site, but I've got lot of experience of different machines and all those I did on-site I'd previously done same machines and learned in the workshop so wasn't going in blind.!

This is why your struggling to find a Tech.!

cropwell
17-03-2020, 12:55 AM

My mother used to say in response to that 'You'd cut off your nose to spite your face'. There are a number of people on this forum capable of helping and some even do it for a living, but if you cannot accept that there is no-one here would want to travel to you, then you would be best served by looking elsewhere for a CNC Service and Repair Company. I found one such with 30 seconds of googling. (They are in Hertfordshire).

joss01
17-03-2020, 08:43 AM
thanks for your reply