PDA

View Full Version : 2M2280N High Voltage Stepper Driver

Robin Hewitt
20-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi Gary

Just found the 2M2280N High Voltage Stepper Driver on your website.

Looks like God's gift to his chosen few at a very reasonable price :yahoo:

Can I really plug them in to the mains without transformers, get big speeds and not worry about a mains surge toasting them?
Standing by for your reply, dosh in hand, pencil me in for 3 :beer:

One more question. What to do with the error output? It's open collector so presume link all 3 together and use it to kill all the En inputs so if one stops they all stop.

Robin

Gary
20-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Its a brand new product, that replaces the old PM2278.
It is a lot better than to old driver with better anti resonance circuitry and it auto tunes to the motor as well.
Also you get very smooth motion as well.
Also has over voltage protection as well.
Will have to look into the error outputs, this is a feature ive not looked into yet.
Also sold out so you are looking at about 7-10 days i think.

Hi Gary

Can I really plug them in to the mains without transformers, get big speeds and not worry about a mains surge toasting them?

One more question. What to do with the error output? It's open collector so presume link all 3 together and use it to kill all the En inputs so if one stops they all stop.

Robin

Gary
20-10-2009, 11:11 AM
The Error output changes state if the driver goes into error, and if the driver is in error the motion stops so no need to put them into the enable, just feed them back to your bob to tell the cnc controller that the axis has stopped.

Hi Gary

Robin

Robin Hewitt
20-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Also sold out so you are looking at about 7-10 days i think.

I've ordered them on your website. Is there much of a queue? :whistling:

Didn't get on with that transformer malarky so I passed on your last offering. This time you didn't start ranting about surges so presume it's okay for direct connetion :naughty:

Robin

Gary
20-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the order.
For some reason, this driver has become very popular, but as soon as stock arrives, i will dispatch your order.
The driver is protected, and has error indicator LEDS, so if you get a voltage spike, it will just trip out and it will tell you what the cause is, by looking at the led's.

I think the over voltage protection kicks in at 253V, so if you are living in an area that is prone to high voltage spikes, then you may need to get some surge protection, or you may get the driver going into error, half way through a job, but at least you have the error output to tell mach that motion has stopped.

Robin Hewitt
03-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Hi Gary

Do I fit the braking resistors? If so what Ohms and what Watts?

Is it okay to daisy chain the mains on to them?

Much ta

Robin

Gary
03-11-2009, 04:07 PM
No need for the breaking resistor.

no use a star configuration for the AC.

Hi Gary

Do I fit the braking resistors? If so what Ohms and what Watts?

Is it okay to daisy chain the mains on to them?

Much ta

Robin

Robin Hewitt
05-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Me again

Parallel or series? Would it make any noticeable difference to the top speed or just generate unnecessary heat?

Robin

Gary
05-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Parallel will give you more speed / mechanical power, but will also run a lot hotter.
My suggestion is to try it in series and if it works for you leave it there.
If you find you need more speed, connect it in parallel.
Dont forget to set the correct currents.
If it is the FL86STH156 or SY85STH156 it is 3A in series and 6A in parallel.

Me again

Parallel or series? Would it make any noticeable difference to the top speed or just generate unnecessary heat?

Robin

audioandy
05-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Robin

Gary has supplied us with some of these drives today and we have had one running. Very impressive :smile:

I think you will be very pleased with your purchase

Andy

ptjw7uk
05-11-2009, 09:59 PM
I read on the info sheet on these drivers that the normal temperature of a stepper is 80 -90C so quite hot and definately not warm to the touch as others have said.

peter

Gary
05-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Stepper motors run very hot and normal operation would be about 60 deg, but with high voltage this temp will go up.

I read on the info sheet on these drivers that the normal temperature of a stepper is 80 -90C so quite hot and definately not warm to the touch as others have said.

peter

Robin Hewitt
05-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Stepper motors run very hot and normal operation would be about 60 deg, but with high voltage this temp will go up.

I have a strange notion that they get hotter as the load increases. I could be wrong but I seem to remember mine get hot when I put in a fat ripper and cut uphill through steel. Usually I'm an 8mm dowhill in aluminium sort bloke and my motors run lukewarm.

You'd think it would be the same regardless of loading but I'm starting to wonder if stepper motors might be a black art :naughty:

Whatever, I have the motors, I have the drives, I have fat wires and trunking. If the shrinkwrap arrives tomorrow I will wire them up over the weekend then report back :beer:

Robin Hewitt
08-11-2009, 03:30 PM
I suppose a sane person would have tried one motor and driver for the smoke test, but not me, all three on one turn of the switch :joker:

Aren't I lucky it passed :beer:

Bad luck, I've found out how to add movies :joker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwBdG939eKk&layer_token=319592963445a052"]YouTube- Smoke Test

Had to take a movie in case it went horribly wrong :naughty:

Lee Roberts
11-11-2009, 02:39 AM
:yahoo: ITS A PASS :clap: LMAO !

Bring on the Robin Hewitt movies, i had popcorn ready and everything for this one...if only i had seen the 0:00/0:42 run time !!

slunks back outside....to the shed... :cool:

Robin Hewitt
11-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Tcha! Everyone's a critic :rolleyes:

You wanted an epic? :thumbdown:

Okay it would have made a better movie if it had exploded like the bridge of the starship Enterprise when those nasty Klingons have a pop at them, but I'm rather glad it didn't :beer:

Robin

cncezee
13-11-2009, 11:34 PM
how do you wire a stepper motor into parallel?????

Gary
14-11-2009, 12:05 AM
An eight wire stepper motor is actually a four phase stepper motor rather than two phase, so you get the four phases and iether connect them in series or parallel.
If you have a look at the SY60 datasheet it will show you how this is done.

http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/pdf/steppermotors/SY60STH86-3008BF.pdf

how do you wire a stepper motor into parallel?????

Robin Hewitt
14-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Parallel will give you more speed / mechanical power, but will also run a lot hotter.
My suggestion is to try it in series and if it works for you leave it there.
If you find you need more speed, connect it in parallel.
Dont forget to set the correct currents.
If it is the FL86STH156 or SY85STH156 it is 3A in series and 6A in parallel.

Hi Gary

It goes fine and dandy but it's running the motors hotter than I feel comfortable with. If I put a drop of suds on the motor, it boils.

I can't reduce the currrent because 3.18A is as low as it goes.

I can switch to paralell and, effectively, run less current. When you say, "A lot hotter" do you mean the motor or the driver?

Much ta

Robin

Gary
14-11-2009, 08:43 AM
You can try in in parallel and monitor the temps.
With this driver the motors will run hot, but they shoud be ok.

Hi Gary

It goes fine and dandy but it's running the motors hotter than I feel comfortable with. If I put a drop of suds on the motor, it boils.

I can't reduce the currrent because 3.18A is as low as it goes.

I can switch to paralell and, effectively, run less current. When you say, "A lot hotter" do you mean the motor or the driver?

Much ta

Robin