PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: Looking for a CNC company

ricey3
20-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi All

I looking for a company or person who would be able to mill me some motorbike parts, places in Derby that i've tried just dont seem interested. If anyone can recomend somewhere or some I'd be gratefull, i can supply the designs and material and CAD files in various formats (IGS etc) to help with programming.

Cheers
Brendan

bikepete
20-10-2009, 05:46 PM
You may get a better response if you provide full tolerances on the drawing - nothing says 'run a mile' to a company looking for a straightforward job like an untoleranced drawing.

Also you need to specify what material they are to be made in, and give an indication of quantity reqd...

BTW most machinists would find "Please ensure all dimensions are correct' on the drawing either insulting or exceedingly amusing :-)

(Edit - sorry, that sounded a bit smartarse. Just that making things to the dimensions given (within tolerance) is what machinists do if they want to get paid...)

Gary
20-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I know someone who may b able to help?
I will email him tonight.

Hi All

I looking for a company or person who would be able to mill me some motorbike parts, places in Derby that i've tried just dont seem interested. If anyone can recomend somewhere or some I'd be gratefull, i can supply the designs and material and CAD files in various formats (IGS etc) to help with programming.

Cheers
Brendan

ricey3
20-10-2009, 05:56 PM
You may get a better response if you provide full tolerances on the drawing - nothing says 'run a mile' to a company looking for a straightforward job like an untoleranced drawing.

Also you need to specify what material they are to be made in, and give an indication of quantity reqd...

BTW most machinists would find "Please ensure all dimensions are correct' on the drawing either insulting or exceedingly amusing :-)

Ok the drawings were just to give an indication of what i was talking about.

When i talked to companies about it they have been a bit aprehensive because its just a one off job, as i just want one of each. They are to be produced in 6082 T6.

The please ensure all dimensions are correct bit was just my mate, asking me to check the drawings before he went any further with them, not me issuing an instruction to an interested party lol.

In terms of tollerances, i'm new to this game the major dimensions can be +/- 0.5mm and i specified the bearing fit.

Cheers

ricey3
20-10-2009, 05:56 PM
I know someone who may b able to help?
I will email him tonight.

Thanks Gary

HiltonSteve
20-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I can see why people are a bit aprehensive after looking at the drawings, for 1 offs they could look a bit of a nightmare to someone who runs cnc's for a living and prefers large qty jobs instead of 1 off's.

They could turn out expensive but it may be worth while having a chat to see what I can do to help. I live just outside Derby and know a few company's that may be able to help. May need to change your design's slightly though to save you a lot of money! But I can help with that if needed.

I will drop you a pm with my number.