PDA

View Full Version : Fixture advice

Voicecoil
07-04-2020, 06:03 PM
I've a number (10...20) of similar sized (120 x 95mm by 6....15mm thick) aluminium parts to machine up, and it seems to me some kind of fixture is in order as I don't have a decent vice that goes that big. Just wondering what the more experienced machinists on here would recommend as the most expedient way forward please?. I have a pretty decent vacuum pump if that's a good way to go.

magicniner
09-04-2020, 06:44 PM
Mitee-Bite make some excellent clamps which could augment a well designed fixture plate, I'm using the eccentric screw hexagonal clamps on several fixtures.

ngwagwa
09-04-2020, 07:35 PM
The majority ofmy parts are machined from 3 1/2" X 1/2" aluminium bar so I made my own
Basically Ali tooling plate base - 10 X 20 BDMS bar at back and adjustable clamps (actual clamp is 6 X 20 MS bar and the stops/adjusters from the 10 X 20 BDMS)
Works a treat but I don't know if it will hold 6mm thick stock.

Voicecoil
09-04-2020, 09:25 PM
Mitee-Bite make some excellent clamps which could augment a well designed fixture plate, I'm using the eccentric screw hexagonal clamps on several fixtures.

Thanks for the info, those hexagonal clamps look like an excellent solution, nice low profile too. BTW, may I ask where you got them from in the UK? The only people I can see quoting prices are Raptorsupplies and the metric versions are pretty fancy money compared to the American thread parts :sour:

JAZZCNC
09-04-2020, 09:39 PM

+1 they work a treat for fixture plates and low profile.

ngwagwa
09-04-2020, 09:46 PM
Wixroyd.com have prices but they are only shown when you put them in the basket, as they are b2b sellers you'll also get VAT added

m_c
09-04-2020, 11:12 PM
WDS sell MiteeBite stuff - https://www.wdscomponents.com/en-gb/jig-fixture/mitee-bite-work-holding/c-120

If you're talking about the price of the hex fixture clamps, the prices are for a pack, it's just the website listings don't tell you that. For the pack quantities, check the MiteeBite website- https://www.miteebite.com/products/fixture-clamps/

Boyan Silyavski
10-04-2020, 11:22 AM
For sure it will be cheaper a piece of T slotted table and regular t slot kit or drill a solid chunk of a plate and make your own fixture. I was a big fan of fixtures but with the time sold all and each job has its own custom fixture. Cheap and useful.

Voicecoil
10-04-2020, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys, I think I will go eccentric next week! At about £4 a pop they're likely worth it.