PDA

View Full Version : Help Please my web is broke

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Help please; Somewhere in UK there is either a blacklisted server or a broken link to my website www.cnc.me.uk (http://www.cnc.me.uk/)

This is not a request for loads of visitors but I would appreciate if you can look to see if you can access my site, if you can please email me roger.hampson@(antispam)btconnect.com (roger.hampson@(antispam)btconnect.com) (remove antispam) giving your isp and county, I do not want to know who you are.
but more importantly I need to know if you cannot see my site as I can use this information to blast my isp into doing something about it.

Please uk only

Dear moderator, this is a genuine request, I apologize if it is in the wrong place or if it is against the rules, but I cannot see my own site, and I cannot do anything about it unless I can draw a map showing blackout spots:mad:

irving2008
04-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Help please; Somewhere in UK there is either a blacklisted server or a broken link to my website www.cnc.me.uk (http://www.cnc.me.uk/)

This is not a request for loads of visitors but I would appreciate if you can look to see if you can access my site, if you can please email me roger.hampson@(antispam)btconnect.com (roger.hampson@(antispam)btconnect.com) giving your isp and county, I do not want to know who you are.
but more importantly I need to know if you cannot see my site as I can use this information to blast my isp into doing something about it.

Please uk only

Dear moderator, this is a genuine request, I apologize if it is in the wrong place or if it is against the rules, but I cannot see my own site, and I cannot do anything about it unless I can draw a map showing blackout spots:mad:

Well I can see it OK... but then I'd be surprised if i can't.

What do you mean by 'I cant see my own site'?

BTW I have edited your post to 'antispam' your email address

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Sorry why would you be supprised not to see it??
Oh and Thanks for editing it

If i try to view my own site it times out i have tried several places with differand internet connections but it still times out, my freind 20 miles up the road has no problem accessing iti can ftp it but i cannot see it, it is not fire wall this end as i can see the rest of the world, just not my site, i do not want to movas it is hoasted for free

Cheers roger

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I have no problems accessing it from Surrey, and also from a hosted machine I have in London.

Are you running it on your ADSL line? I've done a reverse DNS lookup, and it would appear so, but I'm not sure what the Virgin Media naming scheme is...

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Sorry i do not know what line connection is being used but it fast enough for his business, ping reply is switched off at his server

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Are you trying to access the site from the same location as you (i.e. is it in the same building)?

Or are you somewhere else?

Just seen your edit.

On my office machine, it did seem to have a fair delay between requesting the page and getting a response, but that's using a leased line, and I don't think there's anything special going on there. (I could do a TCP level packet inspection, but I don't think that'll tell me anything useful [from your perspective]).

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi Tribbles who is your isp??

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:28 PM
No the server is in west swindon i am about 4 miles away, it is looking like it is a fault with our major uk telephone company

Gary
04-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Works fine from here in bournemouth.
I am on Virgin cable.
What is your service provider? have you tried to view it as the IP address in your browser?

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:29 PM
My home ISP is Zen; office is Pipex (I believe); hosted server in London is Bytemark.

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:30 PM
ANY information Anyone can provide will be usefull

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Yes i time out nomatter what connection method i use, the IT engineer who is running the hoastin is as baffeld as i

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:33 PM
It's something that I think would need to be diagnosed on your computer. I could talk you through some fairly technical software that analyses TCP packets - that could provide some clues as to why it's not working.

But, it is fairly technical.

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Is the IT engineer seeing the requests coming into the web site (i.e. are they being logged)?

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:34 PM
It would seem that people on virgin have no problem Just me on BT and in and around swindon

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I'll just see if a mate of mine who I think is on BT is about (and can have a go)...

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:36 PM
The web stats show large usage from most of the world, it is a very local problem, if it were my modem hooked up or somthing i could restart it and fix it, but if i go to my works location 3 miles up the road with a BT connection i still cannot see it

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:37 PM
He's having no problems with BT in Portsmouth.

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Do you know your own IP address?

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:38 PM
I applogise to MYCNC for aring this out here but i am lost in how to fix it

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Yes 81.109.86.250

Just connected with ftp pro no probs but still no site

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:42 PM
So FTP works and HTTP doesn't - is that right?

cncezee
doing so now

tribbles
Sorry - I meant your BT IP address (I already had the website IP address :smile: )

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Yes that is correct

tribbles
Which web browser are you using?

cncezee
direct ip lookup timed out

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I have explorer 7, and i have just tried firefox

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Do you know if you are using a proxy to connect?

cncezee
04-11-2009, 10:47 PM
my current ip address is 81.156.92.249 and what do you mean by proxy

tribbles
04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
A proxy is used as a gateway between machines, and can speed up communications, or allow you access to sites that can be otherwise unavailable.

However, misconfigured proxies can also block access to sites - but still allow other communication methods to pass (such as FTP).

It might be worth taking this discussion off the site (it could go on and on) - you should be able to send me an email by clicking on my profile.

irving2008
04-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Sorry why would you be supprised not to see it??
Oh and Thanks for editing it

If i try to view my own site it times out i have tried several places with differand internet connections but it still times out, my freind 20 miles up the road has no problem accessing iti can ftp it but i cannot see it, it is not fire wall this end as i can see the rest of the world, just not my site, i do not want to movas it is hoasted for free

Cheers roger

Roger,

Where is it hosted? I've seen your site before (when i was researching casting) and not had a problem accessing it before. Has this timeout problem started recently? When you say 'from several places', do you mean on the same ISP?

Timeouts are often one of the following:

- most commonly, a DNS problem. From a command prompt, if you do 'nslookup cnc.me.uk' do you consistently get your IP address 81.109.86.250 returned OK?

- a reverse routing problem... your request gets to the site but the response doesnt get back to you... If you can FTP to it do you have access to the traffic logs... can you see your own requests getting to it?

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Wow, Sorry guys, first i attempted to look at my site and got lost on page 3, now having relised you all had goe on to 4 i was left behind
Tribles no i am not using a proxy it is purly an internet connection, yes i am happy to end this here and call you if that is ok with you?
Hi Irvin, if you look atwwwdotfmssltddotcodotuk this is where i am hoasted dots removed the problem seems to have materilised arounf the turn of newyesr when i changed isp from tiscali to bt, sure it may be here but that again points to my equipment, but i get the same prob on other companys equipment too

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi Irvin2008, how do you do an NS lookup?

Roger

irving2008
04-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Roger,

Have you tried accessing the other sites they host: http://www.fmssltd.co.uk/websites.html

Do you get the same timeout?

tribbles
04-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I also didn't realise that my posting had spilt onto page 4 (took me a few refreshes to spot it).

Can you access that Fusion website now?

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Anyway guys, this is all very well and i do apreceate all of your help but this is not realy what i need, what i am looking for to do is to complie a low level map of who can and who cannot and where you are, as i have loads of stuff to put on my site when i can see it

tribbles
04-11-2009, 11:16 PM
It's very important: Can you access the fmssltd web site now?

(Hint: it's the same IP address as yours).

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:16 PM
No i cannot see anything from that server

tribbles
04-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Okay - that rules out it being a content problem, and is more of a firewall/proxy/network connectivity problem.

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:17 PM
daft thing is that my site strips out his on demand, i am top of hit list

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes we first thought it was a firwall problem but that does not explain why i cannot see it from work, the only common poit is that we both use BT

tribbles
04-11-2009, 11:22 PM
This isn't the problem, but I have seen an error in your HTML source:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="file:///C|/htmlL%20BITS/style.css">

The href is actually pointing to a file on your hard drive, rather than a file on your network.

I suppose it could be a problem if you happened to have a file in "C:\htmlL BITS" called "style.css", and that linked to a non-existant web site. However, I would still expect at least something to come through (such as the page title in the title bar).

irving2008
04-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Irvin2008, how do you do an NS lookup?

Roger

Roger,

start->run->cmd to get a command prompt
at the command prompt, type "nslookup website",
e.g. nslookup cnc.me.uk

If you dont have nslookup, use the online one at http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Hey i am still kicking around the swarf let alone learning html, but thanks i will fixit as soon as i can.
Well it is strange this as you all can see my site, you all can see the server, but i cannot see either all i get is a message botton left hand side of screen "wating for cnc.me.uk........" and eventually times out with a message botton left, "done"

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:29 PM
yes nslookup returns my ip address ok no problems

irving2008
04-11-2009, 11:30 PM
yes nslookup returns my ip address ok no problems
what web browers are you using?

tribbles
04-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Hehe - I know almost nothing about casting (I did make a clamp in metalwork in school a good few years ago - but it did take us two attempts!)

Without being there, I'm beginning to run out of ideas.

When you've tried it at the two sites, is it on different computers, or the same one just moved about? (This may have been answered, but I don't recall).

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Look i am sorry but i have to go to work tomorrow, if i do not hit the sack i will not be worth a penny.

Irvine2008 delete this when you feel it has run its course
Tribbles you have my e-mail address any help you can offer is greatly appreaciated but prehaps off line!!

Sorry but must crash

Roger

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Tribbles no diferent computors

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:36 PM
i am using bill gates int 7

cncezee
04-11-2009, 11:36 PM
sorry i have gone

Lee Roberts
11-11-2009, 02:22 AM
Lol, madness !

The thread can stay, ill just move it to the Computers and networking section.

Virgin Cable here also and yes the site is working for me, i have also visted the site from one of my servers in london and no problem.

Sounds like a HOP issue, can you view your own site now ? Would you like me to host you ?

Lee

ptjw7uk
11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Did any answers to this come up as I have a similar problem with 2 sites I have hosted.
I also cannot see lathes.co.uk which is on the same server as my 2 ( 213.171.218.?)
My isp is BT as well but they are as good as the hosting site. Some days I can get the sites OK but most times zilch.

If it dosent improve I will look for a more reliable hosting site.

peter

irving2008
12-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Did any answers to this come up as I have a similar problem with 2 sites I have hosted.
I also cannot see lathes.co.uk which is on the same server as my 2 ( 213.171.218.?)
My isp is BT as well but they are as good as the hosting site. Some days I can get the sites OK but most times zilch.

If it dosent improve I will look for a more reliable hosting site.

peter

It is vey unlikely to be the hosting site thats the problem. Almost always it is either the DNS entries or the routing.

Check DNS by using Nslookup as discussed above. If that seems ok, can you access the site via its IP address? if so then there is something wrong with the DNS your local ISP is using... remember it can take 48hours or more for changes to become live on a DNS.

If you know the actual IP address try doing a trace route (tracert ipaddress) from a command prompt. This should tell you how many hops its taking to get to the site and whether there are timeouts on the way. If you run that several times and you get different routes it may be that there is a network configuration/maintenance activity going on.

The other thing to note is that a traceroute to 213.171.218.64 ends in a server at livedns.co.uk which is not the server that the website is running on, but a dynamic link to it that allows the website to be hosted on servers who's IP address changes regularly (usually needed if you run a website from home and dont have a static IP address). If your browser's DNS settings dont check the DNS every time you access the page, it wont find the site if its moved. Clearing the DNS cache (from a command prompt type "ipconfig /flushdns") may show this to be the case.

regards...

ptjw7uk
12-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I have tried all that flushed everything that can be flushed reset them all as well.
Both my sites end at 213.171.218.114 which is then end for 100,s of sites. Pinging always gives a positive result , tracert does not show any timeout. If I allow explorer to try and find the fault it always gives the attached message. Tried to search for answers but to no avail.
What riles me the most is that some days it can connect with no problems at all. I am even considering hosting my own web sites.

Peter

irving2008
12-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I have tried all that flushed everything that can be flushed reset them all as well.
Both my sites end at 213.171.218.114 which is then end for 100,s of sites. Pinging always gives a positive result , tracert does not show any timeout. If I allow explorer to try and find the fault it always gives the attached message. Tried to search for answers but to no avail.
What riles me the most is that some days it can connect with no problems at all. I am even considering hosting my own web sites.

PeterI'm assuming www.woodlanebicc.co.uk (http://www.woodlanebicc.co.uk) is one of them... I can see that no problem at all... Indeed I have never had a problem getting to lathes.co.uk either.

I would still argue that the issue isnt the host but the routing to it or the ISP...

cncezee
13-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Well thanks everyone for your help and advice, but after a long and at times heated call to BT all is now working i can see my own site and now i can add some photos that are a bit over due

Roger

ptjw7uk
14-11-2009, 12:33 PM
cncezee did Bt give any explanation as to your problems as I would like to get them to fix my problems.

I have never got my head around the days when I get instant access to my web site and not other days when I have never done nowt at my end.

peter