PDA

View Full Version : Hardinge Lathe CNC Retrofit/Conversion

Chaz
24-09-2020, 07:38 PM
So I bought the Hardinge (and Herbert) lathes that Gary was selling a few months ago.

Fast forward and I have selected a controller, replacement AC Spindle (Im not going to fuss with the DC system) and AC Servos for the X and Y Axis from SZGH, inspired partially from JazzCNC's experience of them (and my own) as well as others such as Hood and other 'known' hobby folk.

So, stuff arrived today, I think I am fortunate, I'm hearing of other people stuff from China being cancelled due to C19, so I think I was lucky.

The replacement items is the 2 axis control system with their 'C' Panel, 2 x 750W Servo motors and a 7.5 KW Servo for the spindle. The spindle is 'down' on the DC motor's torque figures however not by much. Going any larger would have needed major physical work on the mounting whereas here, I should get away with a simple adaptor plate.

The spindle motor on its own weighs over 60 kg, a beast of a thing. I dont have 3 phase yet, they have told me it will run off single phase (reduced performance) however that is enough to get the machine running and working. 3 Phase will be sorted at a point.

Muzzer
25-09-2020, 11:36 AM
When they say reduced performance on single phase, it shouldn't be by much. The main difference is that the input current is shared between 4 rectifier diodes rather than 6. The dc voltage ripple inside is slightly higher but of no concern. It should work identically, with a slight (10-20%) reduction in S1 continuous power rating. I'd be interested to hear what derating they recommend.

I'd be surprised if you got anywhere near 7.5kW continuous shaft power on a machine like this. I'm guessing you bought this for low speed torque as much as anything, at which operating point the input power will be a fair bit less than 7.5kW. Personally I wouldn't bother with the expense of installing 3 phase when you could spend that money on more machine tools....

Chaz
25-09-2020, 11:52 AM
When they say reduced performance on single phase, it shouldn't be by much. The main difference is that the input current is shared between 4 rectifier diodes rather than 6. The dc voltage ripple inside is slightly higher but of no concern. It should work identically, with a slight (10-20%) reduction in S1 continuous power rating. I'd be interested to hear what derating they recommend.

I'd be surprised if you got anywhere near 7.5kW continuous shaft power on a machine like this. I'm guessing you bought this for low speed torque as much as anything, at which operating point the input power will be a fair bit less than 7.5kW. Personally I wouldn't bother with the expense of installing 3 phase when you could spend that money on more machine tools....

Thanks Muzzer.

Ive been quoted around £4500 for 3 phase. I am limited at this type of machine at current levels but it remains an option.

Yep, I was willing to take a chance on this setup and running it on Single Phase. It will certainly use all the current available to it but yes, 7.5 KW of actual cutting load is a lot. If the machine is sold to someone else, at least they know its capable if connected to a suitable power supply but for my needs, I doubt Ill ever need that.

The hardinge has a belt / pulley setup so I Can mess with ratios to get what I need but yes, generally low torque for materials that are hard or like thread cutting where you might be using slow RPM but need the torque.

Muzzer
25-09-2020, 05:44 PM
That's certainly one hell of a motor! You seem to have bought all the right bits there and from what Jazz reports, SZGH seem to be good to deal with.

I'll be watching with interest!

JAZZCNC
25-09-2020, 05:52 PM
It should work identically, with a slight (10-20%) reduction in S1 continuous power rating. I'd be interested to hear what derating they recommend.

The SZGH engineer I spoke to estimated around 20% derate on the 11Kw 1200rpm Motor I got for the Fadal.
I won't be running it on a single phase but did ask so if I sell it to someone I can tell them the Derate. I haven't fitted it yet so can't confirm this but I will run it on single-phase to see the difference.

Chaz
28-09-2020, 11:59 AM
So, first impression of the kit is good. I agree with JazzCNC, the cabling is good quality and nice to see that its all included. There is also a dedicated turret input for an 'up to 8 way' location which is helpful.

I wasnt aware of the IO board, pity, would have ordered one but will manage without or get one at a stage.

I managed to get one of the motors connected and running. Was getting errors but didnt have a manual for the servo driver but was sent this over the weekend and it looks like it might just have been a connection issue to the encoder.

On the turret side, they will help write the macro once I explain the tool change logic. On the Hardinge theres a few solenoids but nothing odd as such. Fortunately Centroid have published a retrofit document for their kit which is useful and can be modified for use for this implementation.

Chaz
25-12-2020, 12:26 AM
So workshop is starting to take form and the lathe has been moved onto (into) the workshop. So between the cold weather and other stuff, Ill start with the retrofit.

Neale
25-12-2020, 08:21 AM
Chaz - I expect you've fixed the "servo error" issue by now, but I've also been setting up a 3-axis mill system for a mate (project on hold pending him getting some mechanical bits sorted) and had all the SZGH kit configured on his coffee table for testing. I found exactly the same problem until all three servos were connected. I was a bit worried when I tried with just one and kept getting errors... Seems like a nice bit of kit, though.

Looking forward to seeing this lathe project progress - good luck!

JAZZCNC
25-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Chaz - I expect you've fixed the "servo error" issue by now, but I've also been setting up a 3-axis mill system for a mate (project on hold pending him getting some mechanical bits sorted) and had all the SZGH kit configured on his coffee table for testing. I found exactly the same problem until all three servos were connected. I was a bit worried when I tried with just one and kept getting errors... Seems like a nice bit of kit, though.

Looking forward to seeing this lathe project progress - good luck!

I haven't had this issue but I'm using Absolute encoders and I think you and Chaz are using Incremental which might make a difference as the position is saved in memory and talks to the controller first so doesn't rely on the motors encoder to report back, however, every so often I do get one drive fault on start-up. Can be any of the drives, it's random, reset and it's fine never does it again no matter how many times you switch on/off.!! . . .It's a strange one.?
This is just on the bench still has I haven't had time to fit on the machine and It's probably because it's rough arse wired on the bench and running through a multiplug extension cable on a 13A plug with no Inrush or line filters but I'll be contacting SZGH before fitting to check but thought I'd mention it just in case anyone else is having similar issues.

Neale
25-12-2020, 09:44 PM
I've been playing with a 4-axis controller, and I had assumed that it would have the equivalent of "active high" or somesuch on the error signals from the servo drives, so a disconnected driver would show as OK. Not so! However, it does seem that the 4th axis has been disabled so it does not throw an error. Maybe SZGH did this in their initial configuration (although they did make one mistake - the estop input from the MPG was configured the wrong way round so that you needed to hit the estop to make it work! Soon fixed).

One slight frustration that might be relevant to Chaz as well. There is an encoder output from the servo, and the controller has encoder inputs available. Presumably these are for closed-loop operation although I think that you can configure the coordinate readouts to use them. However, the provided cables, excellent as they appear to be in all other ways, make no provision for connecting encoder output to controller input. My mate who owns the machine would have liked the ability to use the controller readouts as a DRO for manual operation with the table handwheels. It looks at first sight as if you would need to hack into the cables or connectors to provide this capability.

JAZZCNC
25-12-2020, 10:06 PM
My mate who owns the machine would have liked the ability to use the controller readouts as a DRO for manual operation with the table handwheels. It looks at first sight as if you would need to hack into the cables or connectors to provide this capability.

Maybe not as bad as he thinks because the hand wheels would make tuning the servos a nightmare, better off without them and use the MPG. But it wouldn't be a massive job to hook them up. Thou to be honest with all the cables they stuff into those DB connectors I wouldn't like to to remove the covers.:cower:

Neale
26-12-2020, 10:00 AM
Good point - I'll tell him to take off the handwheels and learn to use the MPG. He's only used the machine in manual mode because of issues with the original Anilam controller but that did provide a DRO function so conventional use was straightforward.

You mention servo tuning. I have a copy of the SZGH servo tuning application, but they have confirmed that it is only available in Chinese. I've had a quick look but I really couldn't get very far at all with it. Have you looked at servo tuning with these SZGH setups?

Muzzer
26-12-2020, 03:02 PM
You can do just as good a job translating the document yourself as they would. After all, they just use Baidu Translate themselves, which is very much like Google Translate.

If you have the document in Word format, you can right click almost anywhere in the document and select "Translate". You may need a recent version of Word for this - I have Office 365. Select the whole document from the options and there you are. I'm pretty impressed with the Microsoft translation. You can also paste selected paragraphs into Google Translate for a second opinion if the result is a bit hard to follow.

If you only have a PDF version of the document, you can use Adobe's free online PDF-to-Word converter and it will do a pretty good job. It will usually cope well with tables, illustrations, formatting etc. I've done this with several foreign PDF docs recently (Chinese and German) and am surprised how well they work nowadays. Only 2-3 years ago it was a lot more painful, with somewhat more "mixed" results.

As Jazz says, the handwheels can screw up your servo tuning. I removed mine in the end, 'cos it was impossible to get sensible / acceptable behaviour from my DMMs otherwise. And the MPG is much more useful - you can position the handwheel where it is most convenient (eg during touchoff) and you can also change how much movement you get when you turn the wheel.

Neale
26-12-2020, 04:26 PM
Good thought, Muzzer, although it's slightly more awkward than that. There isn't any documentation as such, it's just an applicaiton that is all in Chinese. You can guess a couple of the usual menu items based on position, and I did find one entry that gave me a COM port prompt, but that's as far as it goes! I'll need to look at whether I can extract the symbols from the app itself and translate those. It sounds like Chaz, Dean and I are all in roughly the same position - controller and servos/drivers all set up on the bench (or coffee table, in my case) so not in a position to actually do any tuning at the moment. So fingers crossed that a translated version will turn up before we actually need it!

JAZZCNC
26-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Good thought, Muzzer, although it's slightly more awkward than that. There isn't any documentation as such, it's just an applicaiton that is all in Chinese. You can guess a couple of the usual menu items based on position, and I did find one entry that gave me a COM port prompt, but that's as far as it goes! I'll need to look at whether I can extract the symbols from the app itself and translate those. It sounds like Chaz, Dean and I are all in roughly the same position - controller and servos/drivers all set up on the bench (or coffee table, in my case) so not in a position to actually do any tuning at the moment. So fingers crossed that a translated version will turn up before we actually need it!

Clive S gave me a good tip.? Use your mobile phone and a translate App. Just point camera at the screen and it will translate all the writing.
I've used this several times now and it works great. Infact that's what I did when I screwed up the parameters in the controller and turned them all back to Chinese and couldn't read the parameter description.

Regards the tuning then No I'm not at that stage, I'm waiting for you to suss it out first...:victorious:

Neale
26-12-2020, 11:40 PM
Never come across an app like that - I'll give it a try and see where it gets me. I'm sure that all the usual translators can handle the chinese characters for things like "PID internal loop parameters"! I'm sure that it's worth a go, though, just to get to the right menu items.

Thanks for the pointer. It's not all just a North-South slanging match:beer:

JAZZCNC
26-12-2020, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the pointer. It's not all just a North-South slanging match:beer:

Not at all, I even speak to Clive-S and he's on the other side of the Big Hill in Red Rose county, the place a true Yorkshireman's arch-enemy lives...:joker:

Clive S
27-12-2020, 01:01 PM
Not at all, I even speak to Clive-S and he's on the other side of the Big Hill in Red Rose county, the place a true Yorkshireman's arch-enemy lives...:joker:

That's only because I send him PG Tips :joker:

Muzzer
27-12-2020, 02:04 PM
Try Google Translate - I assume that's what Jazz is referring to. When you select the camera icon, it will recognise and translate any Chinese characters and replace them live on the screen. I've used this quite extensively in China (was surprised they hadn't blocked it - perhaps it was working offline) and it certainly came in handy. The translation seemed to vary depending how close you held the camera (how large the characters) and some of the results were pretty amusing!

You can also use the microphone for input but you might run the risk of getting punched, molested or arrested, depending where you use it.

Kitwn
29-12-2020, 03:14 AM
That's only because I send him PG Tips :joker:

He can be a bit of a monkey at times :hysterical:

Chaz
31-12-2020, 06:14 PM
So started to look at the lathe in a bit more detail today.

The servo motors will be a direct fit exchange, courtesy of some spacers that Gary had already made. I'm not sure if the cables can be routed without taking connectors off (motor and encoder).

The spindle pulley wont work for the new spindle motor. Shaft size is now 38mm whereas on the old DC motor its around 36mm (or the nearest imperial size to that).

Found a replacement pulley / bushing which should work.

Was trying to remove the spindle 'mounting' system, removed all bolts, cant get it out. There's clearly some adhesive in places like a sealant, could be that. I'm hopeful making a adapter plate for the slightly smaller motor should be straight forward - just need to get one of my mills up and running.

I'd like to replace the V belts - any idea on how much work is involved to get them out - do I need to mess with the spindle (hopefully not).

Was fortunate to find a wiring diagram (and some notes) in the door, thanks Gary. Was looking for the limits / end stop but not found them yet - at least the drawing gives a massive help as wires / terminal blocks are marked. I believe these are all hall effect sensors so need to work out how to wire them up. I note too that there is X Coarse Home and X Fine Home marked in pencil, first time Ive seen that ..... will need to work out how to use these.

Chaz
01-01-2021, 07:23 PM
Quick update - built a temp box out of ply for the controller + MPG plate. Opened up the cover for the encoder and noted that the limits are not hall effect, took a quick video, there is a cam system depressing the limits.

Chaz
28-01-2021, 10:29 AM
So I got 3 of the hall effects working for the X axis.

The Z axis has proximity sensors that didnt look to be working. So I replaced with these.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/proximity-sensors/1885225/

These allow reconfig from PNP to NPN etc. Ive tried them in PNP, controller doesnt like it and the engineering team tell me I cant use them in PNP mode. So reconfig the sensors .... ok, but I need something called IO Link which I dont have and looks to be pricy.

These sensors looked decent and they are short - I dont have a lot of space where they fit (probably 40mm max).

Parameter 21 and 22 (axis menu from memory) allows a change from NO to NC, but the engineer reckons that wont allow PNP to be used.

He has also suggested using a 2803 IC to swap the PNP to NPN, so this might be a cheaper option (not ideal).

Thoughts?

Chaz
28-01-2021, 11:03 AM
I've ordered this - suggests it can take PNP to NPN, so a quick (almost cheap) fix if it works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Module-8-Channel-SquareWave-Conversion/dp/B07RWK154G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=NPN+PNP+signal+converter&qid=1611827607&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A249EEO40WNRMY&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUEhZOUVNSElJMzZTJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTM2NTE4MkdYNzE0M0FXMFk4RyZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzYzNTUzMUZOSDFTS081WDlFTSZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

m_c
28-01-2021, 06:06 PM
What is the actual input needed for the controller?
PNP switches to positive, whereas NPN switched to negative.

If the input requires being switched to negative, then PNP won't work, but if the input lets you wire both sides of an opto, then either can work.

Chaz
28-01-2021, 06:10 PM
It needs to draw down to 0V to trigger. Ive ordered that conversion board, hopefully that works.

m_c
28-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Yeah, that'll need a NPN type input.
That board should do what you need.

Colin Barron
28-01-2021, 10:32 PM
So, first impression of the kit is good. I agree with JazzCNC, the cabling is good quality and nice to see that its all included. There is also a dedicated turret input for an 'up to 8 way' location which is helpful.

I wasnt aware of the IO board, pity, would have ordered one but will manage without or get one at a stage.

I managed to get one of the motors connected and running. Was getting errors but didnt have a manual for the servo driver but was sent this over the weekend and it looks like it might just have been a connection issue to the encoder.

On the turret side, they will help write the macro once I explain the tool change logic. On the Hardinge theres a few solenoids but nothing odd as such. Fortunately Centroid have published a retrofit document for their kit which is useful and can be modified for use for this implementation.

If you have not made an IO board yet i think it is well worth the money to buy theirs, it will save a lot of work. I think they are about £50. It reduces the chance of damaging the controller by incorrect wiring, the instructions are in English.although i had to ask for the pdf instructions because the one included in the manual was incorrect. I can send a pdf copy of the I/o manual if you wish.

Chaz
28-01-2021, 10:43 PM
If you have not made an IO board yet i think it is well worth the money to buy theirs, it will save a lot of work. I think they are about £50. It reduces the chance of damaging the controller by incorrect wiring, the instructions are in English.although i had to ask for the pdf instructions because the one included in the manual was incorrect. I can send a pdf copy of the I/o manual if you wish.

Thanks. I wasnt aware of the IO Board when I ordered. I'm probably going to get another servo drive / motor from them for my Bridgeport to run as a Spindle, so will add that to the order.

Thanks

Colin Barron
28-01-2021, 10:53 PM
Thanks. I wasnt aware of the IO Board when I ordered. I'm probably going to get another servo drive / motor from them for my Bridgeport to run as a Spindle, so will add that to the order.

Thanks

The i/o board has labels options pnp/npn jumper options which may sort out prox types. Another option if you are using an automatic tool changer (see hoods videos on you tube) is to use a separate controller.

Chaz
28-01-2021, 10:54 PM
The i/o board has labels options pnp/npn jumper options which may sort out prox types. Another option if you are using an automatic tool changer (see hoods videos on you tube) is to use a separate controller.

Thanks, have seen his vid.

The SZGH team reckon coding my turret via their PLC shouldnt be too difficult - I need to explain the logic and they will write it (I can then see how its done and tweak as needed).

Hood
01-02-2021, 04:52 PM
How does your turret work? Servo? standard motor? other?

Chaz
01-02-2021, 08:18 PM
How does your turret work? Servo? standard motor? other?

Hi Hood. Not got it working yet but its lifted and rotated with air.

I need to decide if I use external PLC or theirs ..... but not a strength of mine.

Have an issue with the driver for spindle. I discussed 220V single phase but the one Ive been sent is 380V 3 phase only. Pity, so will need to make a plan.

Spindle bracket modded and installed but I cant run the spindle yet.

Hood
01-02-2021, 08:33 PM
Should be possible to do the turret via macro I would think.
That is how I have done mine.
Before I bought the control I enquired about getting my turret working and eventually I managed to explain how it worked, Mike kept thinking because it was servo I would need a 3rd axis. Anyway I got a macro, it wouldn't have worked but I was able to see how things were done and thus modify it to work.

A friend is currently putting the SZGH on his Beaver TC15 lathe and I have been helping out with it. His is a servo driven turret and previously I wrote a macro for Mach to work it as the A axis and it worked well. He ordered a 3 axis lathe control and it is a C axis that is used on the SZGH for it. The macro from Mike worked sometimes and other times wouldn't, we tried all sorts of things to get it working consistently but in the end we gave up and I wrote a new macro but with using G90 moves rather than the G91 Mike had used. It seems to be working fine now although he did say he had a fault today for some reason.

Shame about the spindle, do you have 3 phase? If not then maybe a rotary converter would be the easiest/cheapest as I wouldn't imagine it cheap to send the motor/drive back for replacement.

Neale
01-02-2021, 08:57 PM
Ecogoo 240V/1Ph to 380V/3Ph inverter? Available on Aliexpress. No, I don't have one but various people in the forum have used them.

Mate of mine is refitting a mill with an SZGH controller (with a bit of assistance from me) and I suspect I'm going to be writing a macro or two for things like tool-height setting and probing. I don't remember seeing anything about macro programming in the manuals we have - is there a specific manual on this?

Chaz
01-02-2021, 09:00 PM
Ecogoo 240V/1Ph to 380V/3Ph inverter? Available on Aliexpress. No, I don't have one but various people in the forum have used them.

Mate of mine is refitting a mill with an SZGH controller (with a bit of assistance from me) and I suspect I'm going to be writing a macro or two for things like tool-height setting and probing. I don't remember seeing anything about macro programming in the manuals we have - is there a specific manual on this?

Ive got 2 of them. I can try but I'm not sure if that would power the spindle System without causing issues. Keep in mind that the power from the Ecogoo 9000 and 9100 is higher voltage (chopped) to make 380V.

Hood
01-02-2021, 09:01 PM
I think you will need a rotary to power the spindle drive.

Chaz
01-02-2021, 09:02 PM
Should be possible to do the turret via macro I would think.
That is how I have done mine.
Before I bought the control I enquired about getting my turret working and eventually I managed to explain how it worked, Mike kept thinking because it was servo I would need a 3rd axis. Anyway I got a macro, it wouldn't have worked but I was able to see how things were done and thus modify it to work.

A friend is currently putting the SZGH on his Beaver TC15 lathe and I have been helping out with it. His is a servo driven turret and previously I wrote a macro for Mach to work it as the A axis and it worked well. He ordered a 3 axis lathe control and it is a C axis that is used on the SZGH for it. The macro from Mike worked sometimes and other times wouldn't, we tried all sorts of things to get it working consistently but in the end we gave up and I wrote a new macro but with using G90 moves rather than the G91 Mike had used. It seems to be working fine now although he did say he had a fault today for some reason.

Shame about the spindle, do you have 3 phase? If not then maybe a rotary converter would be the easiest/cheapest as I wouldn't imagine it cheap to send the motor/drive back for replacement.

No 3 phase. Focusing funds on the machines and fixing the workshop. Ive got a quote for 3 Phase but not high on my todo list yet but its a pain and compromise unfortunately.

If the motor is fine, getting a new drive might solve it (I'm probably going to be getting another unit from them (2.2 or 3KW spindle for my Bridgeport to take away the standard squirrel cage motor and get more speed / torque) and an IO board for this setup. So adding in the controller might not be too bad.

Hood
01-02-2021, 09:02 PM
.... I don't remember seeing anything about macro programming in the manuals we have - is there a specific manual on this?

There is a macro manual, also a PLC one and also a PLC programme which is handy for looking at the ladder but I found it easier to alter the ladder on the control.

Chaz
01-02-2021, 09:16 PM
There is a macro manual, also a PLC one and also a PLC programme which is handy for looking at the ladder but I found it easier to alter the ladder on the control.

I see some PLC info in the one manual but it doesnt show how to create or similar for Tool Change. Anything you can share please Hood?

Hood
01-02-2021, 09:16 PM
Not sure if the forum will accept the manuals and programme or not but will give it a go.
I have zipped the macro manual, a custom macro manual, the PLC manual (for lathe) and the PLC programme.

Neale
01-02-2021, 10:10 PM
Many thanks - I was about to ask for the same thing!

Chaz
01-02-2021, 11:01 PM
Thanks for sharing.

m_c
01-02-2021, 11:57 PM
Ive got 2 of them. I can try but I'm not sure if that would power the spindle System without causing issues. Keep in mind that the power from the Ecogoo 9000 and 9100 is higher voltage (chopped) to make 380V.

I'm currently running my complete lathe via a 7.5kw boost inverter, albeit still with the motor from my old rotary phase converter running to provide some base load, and a sine wave filter to ensure no transients make it to the lathe.

Chaz
02-02-2021, 12:04 AM
I'm currently running my complete lathe via a 7.5kw boost inverter, albeit still with the motor from my old rotary phase converter running to provide some base load, and a sine wave filter to ensure no transients make it to the lathe.

So something like the Ecogoo 7.5KW directly into a lathe? What lathe?

m_c
02-02-2021, 12:16 AM
So something like the Ecogoo 7.5KW directly into a lathe? What lathe?

This lathe - http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/13970-New-CNC-lathe-day

My current set up is-
7.5KW Boost VF -> sine wave filter -> idler motor (the setup may work fine without it, but it does provide a bit surge/buffer capacity) -> 3ph distribution.
For sine wave filters - https://www.controlpanelproducts.co.uk/product_information/56d302192cdb4/Sinusoidal-filter-Open-Frame-2-to-1200A-CNW933

Due to the workshop being fed via a quite sensitive RCD, I do also have a 7.5KVA isolating transformer feeding the VFD, but you shouldn't need that.

With that setup, the lathe runs fine, although it does dim the lights if I reverse the spindle...

Hood
02-02-2021, 01:19 AM
Just a heads up, for a tool change macro this is a very handy thing :)

Chaz
03-02-2021, 10:51 AM
So SZGH are saying that this spindle setup wont work behind an invertor / filter. Of course, it might, but not surprised as without testing / knowing, they put their hardware and reliability at risk.

So, anyone want to buy a 7.5KW 380 3 Phase Driver, Spindle Servo Motor, cables and braking resistor? The cost to me was $USD 990, plus a bit of tax and sadly the shipment was expensive due to the weight of the motor (60 ish KG). Let me know if interested. Ill possibly stick it up for sale on a few other places too.

Hood
03-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Shame it is not bigger but sadly too small for me.

Would a rotary not be a cheaper solution? Not sure what input power you need for that drive though, so possibly not.

Chaz
03-02-2021, 11:09 AM
Shame it is not bigger but sadly too small for me.

Would a rotary not be a cheaper solution? Not sure what input power you need for that drive though, so possibly not.

Not sure, but I expect pretty substantial.

I would try running it off my 220V to 380V invertor but its not worth damaging it, so too risky.

Hood
03-02-2021, 11:20 AM
A rotary would be my choice but just having a quick look they are quite steep in price nowadays. Years ago I had a 5hp static and fitted an idler motor to it and it worked great, nice clean (proper) 3 phase.

I will ask around and see if anyone needs a spindle motor/drive that size but I think most of the people I know, like me, require 12kw or more.

Chaz
04-02-2021, 10:30 PM
A rotary would be my choice but just having a quick look they are quite steep in price nowadays. Years ago I had a 5hp static and fitted an idler motor to it and it worked great, nice clean (proper) 3 phase.

I will ask around and see if anyone needs a spindle motor/drive that size but I think most of the people I know, like me, require 12kw or more.

Thanks, appreciated.

Chaz
05-02-2021, 10:18 AM
Double Post

JAZZCNC
07-02-2021, 10:33 AM
So SZGH are saying that this spindle setup wont work behind an invertor / filter. Of course, it might, but not surprised as without testing / knowing, they put their hardware and reliability at risk.

So, anyone want to buy a 7.5KW 380 3 Phase Driver, Spindle Servo Motor, cables and braking resistor? The cost to me was $USD 990, plus a bit of tax and sadly the shipment was expensive due to the weight of the motor (60 ish KG). Let me know if interested. Ill possibly stick it up for sale on a few other places too.

Surely it's only the drive you require not the motor.? this wouldn't cost a fortune to replace. What is the model number of the drive, so I can check it against mine which does supposedly work with single-phase, though I haven't tried it, and will use 3 phase anyway?

Chaz
07-02-2021, 11:29 AM
Surely it's only the drive you require not the motor.? this wouldn't cost a fortune to replace. What is the model number of the drive, so I can check it against mine which does supposedly work with single-phase, though I haven't tried it, and will use 3 phase anyway?

Thanks.

I thought so too, so queried with them, reckon no go as the motor is wired for 380V. I did notice when I connected it they only expose 3 wires, so cant change from high to low voltage.

The drive is SZGH-S4T7P5, the motor is SZGH10-3-48-7.5/11-4-1500.

Thanks

Hood
07-02-2021, 01:32 PM
Would you get a single phase drive for a motor that size?
For servo drives 3Kw seems to be about the max for single phase and I would have thought spindle drives would be the same.

Chaz
07-02-2021, 02:14 PM
For servo drives 3Kw seems to be about the max for single phase and I would have thought spindle drives would be the same.

Good question. I hope so, otherwise Ill need to make a plan here.

I run my 6.8 KW 24K HSD spindle on single phase with an inverter. Its a 380V version but I know you can specify 220V at that power.

JAZZCNC
07-02-2021, 02:29 PM

When I asked SZGH Mike told me the drive I have could be run on a single-phase supply but at a de-rated motor output.(approx 20%) Not that it matters because I will be running it on 3 phase anyway.

Chaz
07-02-2021, 02:34 PM
When I asked SZGH Mike told me the drive I have could be run on a single-phase supply but at a de-rated motor output.(approx 20%) Not that it matters because I will be running it on 3 phase anyway.

And that was my understanding too. What I did not pick up was that the version I ordered is 380V only. Ive had words with them, I intend to order more stuff - then they quoted on Friday for 220V 3 Phase despite me reminding them I only have single phase.

They suggested they could supply one of the items at cost as a 'sorry' for the issue but then tell me how much more complicated / expensive the 220V version is, so perhaps no discount after all. Lets see, Ill probably hear from Susie in the morning.

Colin Barron
07-02-2021, 03:15 PM
And that was my understanding too. What I did not pick up was that the version I ordered is 380V only. Ive had words with them, I intend to order more stuff - then they quoted on Friday for 220V 3 Phase despite me reminding them I only have single phase.

They suggested they could supply one of the items at cost as a 'sorry' for the issue but then tell me how much more complicated / expensive the 220V version is, so perhaps no discount after all. Lets see, Ill probably hear from Susie in the morning.

You may be lucky, i sent an email to Mike and received this reply:
Sorry for late replay because we are on Holiday this term as Chinese New Year(6th,February,2021-18th,February,2021).Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family!!! We will feedback to you soon after holiday! Thank you very much for your understand!

Then later he replied, work that one out.

Chaz
07-02-2021, 04:12 PM
You may be lucky, i sent an email to Mike and received this reply:
Sorry for late replay because we are on Holiday this term as Chinese New Year(6th,February,2021-18th,February,2021).Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family!!! We will feedback to you soon after holiday! Thank you very much for your understand!

Then later he replied, work that one out.

Ah yes, in which case nothing will be happening. Forgot about that.

JAZZCNC
07-02-2021, 05:32 PM
Ah yes, in which case nothing will be happening. Forgot about that.

You'd probably want to wait anyway because shipping is through the roof at the minute.

Chaz
07-02-2021, 06:08 PM
You'd probably want to wait anyway because shipping is through the roof at the minute.

Thanks. Is that due to people trying to get stuff before the holidays?

JAZZCNC
07-02-2021, 06:19 PM
Thanks. Is that due to people trying to get stuff before the holidays?

IMO it's mostly because of the greedy profiteering freight company's. But the official line I keep getting is that for Airfreight it's covid and difficulty at terminals. For Sea freight, it's a lack of ships due to them being delayed in EU and various parts of the world again blaming Covid. Container prices have gone up by 500% and 600% depending on were coming from. Typical container prices were $2000 now it's $10 -$12,000 with delays anywhere up to 4-6wks and that's on top of usual 8-10wks shipping times.!

No one is sending anything by sea freight at the moment because of the price, so all major shippers are sitting on the fence waiting for prices to drop after the Chinese new year, which will then cause a shortage of available space on the boats, which then, in turn, will keep the prices high IMO.!!

It's a nightmare getting parts at the moment.!

Chaz
07-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Argh, not ideal. Suppose I can spend time getting the axis sorted and then hopefully get the turret stuff working.

m_c
07-02-2021, 07:34 PM
Air freight capacity is greatly reduced due to a lack of passenger flights. There are passenger planes flying solely for freight, and even Airbus designed a system for securing cargo in passenger seat.

Sea freight has experienced a bit of a perfect storm. People looking to replace air freight due to the increased prices there, increase in orders due to everybody being stuck at home, UK businesses trying to stockpile before Brexit kicked in, backlogs at ports, and just general delays has driven demand well above capacity, along with prices.

I'm guessing it's going to be at least another couple months before things return to more normal.

Colin Barron
08-02-2021, 12:16 AM
Air freight capacity is greatly reduced due to a lack of passenger flights. There are passenger planes flying solely for freight, and even Airbus designed a system for securing cargo in passenger seat.

Sea freight has experienced a bit of a perfect storm. People looking to replace air freight due to the increased prices there, increase in orders due to everybody being stuck at home, UK businesses trying to stockpile before Brexit kicked in, backlogs at ports, and just general delays has driven demand well above capacity, along with prices.

I'm guessing it's going to be at least another couple months before things return to more normal.

On the upside (slightly) we are getting $1.37 to the pound, it was $1.30 at the start of November.

Chaz
08-02-2021, 01:20 PM
One thing I might try is to use the old DC motor. I think its mean to be OK, there is a drive that I have which might belong to it (got 2 machines at the same time) but might try and power from an invertor and see, at worst I damage the drive which I wasnt going to use anyways. If it works, then it might be worth using and I can change it one day when I have 3 phase or a 220V Single Phase system.

Chaz
04-10-2021, 07:26 PM
So getting back to this. I now have movement in both axis and now onto the Tool Turret logic.

Does anyone have a copy of the 'U Disk' application that is used for talking to and from the controller? I cant find the original USB stick and whilst I have followed the instructions, I cant seem to get access to the PLC files that need to be edited (or Im doing it wrong). The only root folder available to me us /nc. I cant go any higher through the normal screen and Ive entered the user password.

Thanks

JAZZCNC
04-10-2021, 09:38 PM
So getting back to this. I now have movement in both axis and now onto the Tool Turret logic.

Does anyone have a copy of the 'U Disk' application that is used for talking to and from the controller? I cant find the original USB stick and whilst I have followed the instructions, I cant seem to get access to the PLC files that need to be edited (or Im doing it wrong). The only root folder available to me us /nc. I cant go any higher through the normal screen and Ive entered the user password.

Thanks

try 666666

Chaz
04-10-2021, 09:43 PM
Thanks. Managed to get it working. The manual isnt great and HoodScotland has been helping. The pass is 111111.

JAZZCNC
04-10-2021, 09:47 PM
Also on the password screen, if the #1 password is enabled then to disable use 111111, I think to edit PLC you need to disable the password .

Edit: Just spotted your post. . . .Lol

Chaz
26-10-2021, 10:21 AM
Thanks to help from Hood Scotland, M_C, and others. I now have a tool changing working machine but cant drive the spindle as yet.

Here its moving with code generated from Fusion 360, just a demo part.

https://youtu.be/s9KWipZfOKg

And some tool changing.

https://youtu.be/yAK2E5L320w

Need to get the spindle running, no cutting till then. Got to tidy wiring etc and still need to wire in the chuck and a bunch of other stuff. Ive ordered a choke which might help me run the spindle from a VFD.

Chaz
27-10-2021, 07:07 PM
Next challenge, spindle drive is powered, even got as far as a self phase test (motor runs to see phasing / direction) but I keep getting an Error 06 (motor over temp). Ive tried everything, I cant see how to fix this. I have a plug going from the motor to the drive that carries the encoder feedback and potentially 2 wires for a thermistor (which measures 0 Ohms). I tried with a dummy 100 Ohm load, incase this isnt right but still nothing.

Ive also tried to tell the drive to ignore motor temp parameter P90_03 allows for masking but doesnt matter what I try, Nada. Any ideas? Ive asked SZGH but will be an overnight wait, if they understand the question, sometimes its fixed next day, otherwise it takes a few attempts.

Thanks.

m_c
27-10-2021, 08:40 PM
Have you got a manual for the drive?

potentially 2 wires for a thermistor (which measures 0 Ohms). I tried with a dummy 100 Ohm load
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Do you mean each wire individually measures 0 ohms but not connected, or they're looped together so both wires appear as 0 ohms at the drive?

Chaz
27-10-2021, 08:53 PM
Have you got a manual for the drive?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Do you mean each wire individually measures 0 ohms but not connected, or they're looped together so both wires appear as 0 ohms at the drive?

If I measure their 'thermistor' - assuming that's what it is. I get 0 Ohm across it. So it might not be a thermistor but rather a switch that goes open circuit when it gets too hot?

I'm having a problem validating that the wires from the thermistor actually go to the drive. In the manual the one connector that it might go to has the encoder feedback, nothing shown for anything related to the motor.

Chaz
27-10-2021, 08:54 PM
This is a newer version of the AC Servo system manual - https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=36663.0;attach=482 94

My paper copy is v 2.5 and is more accurate but its very similar.

Chaz
27-10-2021, 08:59 PM
OK, in the manual (page 10) there is the first reference I can see to motor over temp protection. CN2 connector T1 / 0V under extended interface. Assuming Stitch means pin, pin 9 and 13. So 13 is Ground, 9 is T1. Mine doesnt use this CN2, it has a barrel connector but at least there is a reference to it now.

Chaz
27-10-2021, 09:01 PM
This manual has different parameters which mine doesnt have. For example, it has E63, Motor overheating protection. I dont seem to have anything like this, mine are Parameter 00 to 91, nothing like this, so this must apply to newer / different servos.

m_c
27-10-2021, 09:09 PM
The motor probably just has a temperature switch that goes open circuit when it gets hot enough.

I wonder if the drive is looking for a thermistor, in which case try leaving the wires disconnected.

NTC thermistors are more common (resistance decreases as temperature increases), so I'd guess if that's what the drive is looking for, leaving it open circuit is less likely to trigger a fault. Failing that, try a 2-3k resistor.

Chaz
27-10-2021, 09:10 PM
So here I can define Input Parameters. P23_15 was set to 13 (Overheating) but I set it to 127 (Set to Null). The problem is that in the list below, its only P23_10 to P23_14, Ill double check but I dont believe any of them were set to 13 (Overheating monitor).

Chaz
27-10-2021, 09:33 PM
Interesting that in the next section down it says 'add 128 to the number to make it NC type'.

The only other page I can see something related to motor temps is below.

My 'reading' of it is as follows ... not sure if that's correct or not.

P90_03 if its set to 0, it will Error and power off. if its set to 1, it will error but keep power on and 3 or higher it will 'no error, assuming it ignores' but offers limited torque %

Chaz
28-10-2021, 08:52 AM
So SZGH have confirmed that its a NC contact.

The mapping goes to P23_25 (port MapToDi15). Ive been told to change this to 127 and disable it, I dont think you would know what port it was mapped to from reading the docs. Ill try that later and see.

Chaz
28-10-2021, 11:38 AM
Parameter changed, it allows running but now comes up with Error 5, encoder failure. Its the same cable that is used for the Thermistor and a premade cable - cant help but think there is something wrong with this cable. Let's see what SZGH come back with.

If it was a simple DB connector, id put something together but this goes from a specific canon plug into a RJ45 (which in fairness looks good), so will test / check later. Might be a tuning issue - there's also some parameters that might need changing based on the manual.

Chaz
28-10-2021, 01:27 PM
So parameter 14_x has a number of options. One of them is to disable the encoder or suggest that there isnt one there.

There is also encoder feedback on the spindle itself back to the main controller (not wired in yet), so this might be enough for now, can sort things like rigid tapping etc later.

Chaz
28-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Ok, disabling the encoder stops the errors but the motor doesnt run well and doesnt speed up. It sounds like its single phasing but oddly when you press the spindle off button, it runs smoothly and then comes to a stop.

I've tried most of the encoder options, all of them give the same result, error after a few seconds.

There is a self test you can do which is is to set it into mode 2 which does a phase test (presume this is to check that the encoder and motor direction match). I had this working a few times whilst I was stuck with this motor temp warning but since then I cant get the test to repeat.

So will keep scratching my head, slow steady progress hopefully.

Chaz
28-10-2021, 03:40 PM
I was writing some more than we had a power cut.

There is a viewable parameter called 'H' which shows the absolute position of the shaft. This isnt reading what I would expect. It flickers between, 1, 3, then 4096 then back. It's like it is on the index but ultimately then it doesnt seem to move when the shaft rotates.

I'm not sure if any of this could be due to the way that I am powering this (via a VFD via a choke) however when it stops running (after the stop signal) its ultra smooth.

Will keep looking.

m_c
28-10-2021, 05:18 PM
Spindle drives are essentially a Servo drive.

They need to know the orientation of the motor in relation to the encoder, so they know exactly how to power the motor, which is done orientation/phase sensing to learn the position of the rotor in relation to the encoder.

Typically the drive needs to know the encoder count, then go through the learning process to learn the motor.
Not doing this successfully results in what you're experiencing.

Unfortunately, that's as far as my knowledge on the subject goes, as I've never actually used an unmatched motor/drive.

Chaz
28-10-2021, 06:17 PM
OK, so major progress but sadly no go.

I checked the connector and rung out the wires from the cannon plug back to the RJ45 connector (but has 10 across, not 8). All looks OK.

I then found something that explains the issues, a loose wire inside the motor. Joy of joys, would explain why the encoder doesnt work properly and why the motor heat error is needing to be masked.

So soldered it back together, sadly no change.

I did figure out how to do the the Op = 2 run again, its all in the sequence. It trips out on an encoder error. I dont remember if it did this before or not as I was getting the over temp error but I think it did the same.

Its as if the encoder is simply not working. I can see no indication of a pulse or movement.

The manual refers to checking system parameters E04 but I dont know where / what that is. It does then talk about Parameter 14_1 onwards which are for the encoder, so must be related.

Ive tried to remove the encoder to see if all wires are there but struggling to get the rear case open.

m_c
28-10-2021, 06:32 PM
So you get a bit of understanding of what the drive needs to achieve, have a read of the 3 Phase Brushless Motor Control on this page - https://www.dynomotion.com/wiki/index.php/SnapAmp_Info
It is Dynomotion specific, but it explains what the drive needs to achieve.

You just then need to figure out how to do it with your drive.

Having a quick read of the manual, E02 for motor poles, E04 to set the encoder lines.
The index offset might need a bit tweaking for smooth running, but I'd expect everything else to be automatically calculated after the phase detection has run.

Chaz
28-10-2021, 06:36 PM
Thanks. Ye the newer manual uses E codes, the older (which applies to mine) uses P codes.

Ive spotted that the unit might need external 24V. I dont think this is the case with mine as it has a connector going back to the SZGH control panel where it has 24V available. That said, Ive asked them to see. If there is no 24V that might explain it too but not sure where I apply it as there are no power connectors apart from 2 spare solder points (3 - one is not tinned) in the cannon jack. That wire (the untinned one) does not have a partner on the plug, so I'm wondering if that might be where 24V is inserted. Doesnt sound practical, who knows ....

m_c
28-10-2021, 06:50 PM
Do you have an oscilloscope?
That would be a sure fire way to find out if the encoder is working or not.

Failing that, you could test using a multimeter connected across the encoder pairs (A+/-, then B+/-, then make sure there is at least power on the Z+/- as stopping on the Z pulse will be near impossible) and randomly positioning the motor to see if the voltages invert. That at least tells you the encoder is doing something.
And if your multimeter has frequency measuring capability, you could spin the motor and see if if you get a plausible frequency reading.

Chaz
28-10-2021, 09:17 PM
Do you have an oscilloscope?
That would be a sure fire way to find out if the encoder is working or not.

Failing that, you could test using a multimeter connected across the encoder pairs (A+/-, then B+/-, then make sure there is at least power on the Z+/- as stopping on the Z pulse will be near impossible) and randomly positioning the motor to see if the voltages invert. That at least tells you the encoder is doing something.
And if your multimeter has frequency measuring capability, you could spin the motor and see if if you get a plausible frequency reading.

I dont sadly, but Ill measure with what I have. I know you can get cheap scopes for basic testing, maybe that's a plan.

Chaz
28-10-2021, 10:16 PM
Nothing like spotting something, heading to the garage after 10pm, trying something, it fails, but then you see the cable that you fixed earlier still disconnected. You connect it up, you rerun the change / test and it all works.

https://youtu.be/NPxrjj5FobU

Chaz
28-10-2021, 10:30 PM
So here's a clue as to what the issue was (clearly the broken wire was also an issue).

m_c
28-10-2021, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I've got to say it.
Idiot!

But it just proves, always check the basics.

Chaz
28-10-2021, 10:42 PM
So the cable marked with X5 DOES NOT GO into the X5P.

It goes into X2A.

I spotted in the manual that X5P = encoder OUTPUT, so I investigated further. X2A it is. I'm not sure why there is an X5 number on the cable.

The other X5 cable (X51) is also marked X5 and goes there ....

Anyways.

In fairness, there was a wire off as well, so more than 1 problem it seems.

Chaz
06-11-2021, 03:58 PM
So, progress. Started to rewire and tidy up the cabinet.

First test cut (well, 2nd), - ignore the birds nesting, bad feeds / speeds.

I need to work out why the spindle override is being ignored too. Speeds are being set by G50 S2000 etc. Need to see the details behind this, I'm using the Fanuc Post Processor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p70y6Z6F8ok

And then a pic, I missed facing it fully but you get the idea, really happy with this.

JAZZCNC
06-11-2021, 07:14 PM
Have I got my wires crossed.? I thought you bought the Spindle motor from SZGH same as I did. If so the drive is just a large servo drive so why are you using a VFD.?

Chaz
06-11-2021, 07:23 PM
Have I got my wires crossed.? I thought you bought the Spindle motor from SZGH same as I did. If so the drive is just a large servo drive so why are you using a VFD.?

I have only single phase. So I am making 3 Phase with a VFD, through a choke which then feeds the spindle drive.

JAZZCNC
06-11-2021, 07:27 PM
I have only single phase. So I am making 3 Phase with a VFD, through a choke which then feeds the spindle drive.

Ok, I get it now.

If it's any consolation I did the same with the X5 cable, the markings are clear as Mud.!

Chaz
06-11-2021, 07:51 PM
Ok, I get it now.

If it's any consolation I did the same with the X5 cable, the markings are clear as Mud.!

Ye, generally its decent in terms of cabling and quality. One broken wire and the assumption about the labelling.

Chaz
07-11-2021, 03:18 PM
I adjusted the shape a bit and redid the CAM. I did trip the supplying VFD so had to slow down the ramp on the spindle which seems to have helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgA6SV2jczc

Fairmount
18-11-2021, 10:07 PM
Hi Chaz

I am really interested in understanding the kit you have used to upgrade these really good but slow and unreliable machines.

I have had about 5 CHNCs over the years, cannibalising the old AB controls to keep just one running.

I know have one in the graveyard and one that is a really good condition machine with a dead AB control that I really have given up on.

I have been looking to buy the Centroid upgrade kit but it is so difficult thinking about spending such a lot of money on what is a very old machine.

The problem I have is that I like the precision and the 5c collets and the special collects I have developed for various jobs.

I can't justify buying a new CNC (I have a 1988 Mazak QT15N for the bigger, faster work).

I don't run my machines on a 24/7 basis - they owe me nothing and I just use them when I need to make various components for my products we sell.

So seeing that someone so recently is doing exactly what I would love to do has prompted me to join the forum and ask if you can share your experience so that I might have another look at doing the same to save my old but loved CHNC.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Paul

Chaz
19-11-2021, 11:44 AM
Hi Chaz

I am really interested in understanding the kit you have used to upgrade these really good but slow and unreliable machines.

I have had about 5 CHNCs over the years, cannibalising the old AB controls to keep just one running.

I know have one in the graveyard and one that is a really good condition machine with a dead AB control that I really have given up on.

I have been looking to buy the Centroid upgrade kit but it is so difficult thinking about spending such a lot of money on what is a very old machine.

The problem I have is that I like the precision and the 5c collets and the special collects I have developed for various jobs.

I can't justify buying a new CNC (I have a 1988 Mazak QT15N for the bigger, faster work).

I don't run my machines on a 24/7 basis - they owe me nothing and I just use them when I need to make various components for my products we sell.

So seeing that someone so recently is doing exactly what I would love to do has prompted me to join the forum and ask if you can share your experience so that I might have another look at doing the same to save my old but loved CHNC.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Paul

Hi Paul

Indeed, good machines once you can get rid of the old controllers (like many things). A lot of detail to consider, should I just PM you my number? Easier to talk through however in summary, I'd probably do the same again if I needed to. Once you understand these 'not pc controlled' controllers, they are fairly straight forward.

A key question however is then if you are replacing everything such as motors and how much of the original interlocking do you need (for example, I can have door alarms etc) however if I want to have a condition such as the spindle lock being detected to stop the spindle running, that needs some coding / considering.

Charl

Fairmount
19-11-2021, 11:59 AM
Hi Paul

Indeed, good machines once you can get rid of the old controllers (like many things). A lot of detail to consider, should I just PM you my number? Easier to talk through however in summary, I'd probably do the same again if I needed to. Once you understand these 'not pc controlled' controllers, they are fairly straight forward.

A key question however is then if you are replacing everything such as motors and how much of the original interlocking do you need (for example, I can have door alarms etc) however if I want to have a condition such as the spindle lock being detected to stop the spindle running, that needs some coding / considering.

Charl

Hi Chaz

Yes please - I would like to chat this through.

[email protected]

Chaz
19-11-2021, 05:13 PM
Just tried to call, was told you arent in. Ill email you now with my mobile number.

hanermo2
26-05-2022, 12:16 PM
Interesting thread.
Yesterday I visited a customer, and expect to refit 1, later 2, larger (2.5 m long carriage) lathes with industrial quality retrofits.

The budget is likely to be around 15k, 18k with glass scales and or better screws.
Probably cslabs csmio-ips, and their sw, or maybe machx.

A 3 m long, 40 mm D screw, ground, c1-c3-c5 is not cheap.
Around 1 kW servos, x, y, maybe c (like mine), maybe B (tailstock).
The client is ready and has the will and the moolah, so ...

It´s possible, perhaps likely, I can publish the refit.

The client is urgently looking for a big heavy large lathe we can do this on.
First xyc(b), and soonish linear guides (35 mm+) on all axes.

Very Large Lathes tend to be cheap, and are good moneymakers.
When no-one else nearby can do 50-60 cm diameter pieces, or shafts 3.5 m long.

Chaz
26-05-2022, 12:20 PM
Personally (and this is just my view), I'd not touch another CS Labs setup. I still have it on my one mill, its fussy, Ive had issues seeing the controller, firmware bugs etc.

glbreil
31-12-2023, 01:25 AM
Hello and sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a question about the original decision to replace the spindle motor.

Did you decide to replace because it was 3ph and you wanted to be able to operate from 1ph, or was there a problem being able to operated and control the original spindle drive from the new control?

I have a somewhat newer 1985 CHNC II with a GN10 control I would like to retrofit, but would rather leave the original spindle motor and drive if possible.

Thanks Gary Breiling

Chaz
31-12-2023, 12:03 PM
Hi Gary,

In my case, probably 2 factors.

The first was I had no DC controller for the motor, at least, not what I could see in the 2 machines I bought. There is meant to be a controller / drive in the 2nd machine's cabinet however the way the machine is placed means I cant open the cabinet and I cannot move / access the machine (long story).

The second was due to single phase only, when I ordered I had assumed that it would be a single phase drive, unfortunately some misunderstanding and it turned out to be 3 phase but I do run it from another VFD and it works, albeit that Ive needed to slow the ramp down time else I trip the feeding drive.

Thanks

glbreil
31-12-2023, 01:48 PM
Thanks Chaz, I need to do some more study but I have two complete machines and the spindle runs and operates on both now, I assume without knowing for certain that the control probably just provides a run signal to the original spindle drive probably like a 0-10 commonly used on a VFD. Not sure I understand how the encoder plays into that for the lathe to know the spindle location, but it’s good to know that the original spindle motor and controls might be an option. That seems like it could be one of the bigger costs. Thanks Gary

glbreil
01-01-2024, 04:59 AM
Just one more question, if you were doing this again would you stay with the same control and components from SZGH or would you use something different?

Thanks again Gary

Chaz
01-01-2024, 12:43 PM
Thanks Chaz, I need to do some more study but I have two complete machines and the spindle runs and operates on both now, I assume without knowing for certain that the control probably just provides a run signal to the original spindle drive probably like a 0-10 commonly used on a VFD. Not sure I understand how the encoder plays into that for the lathe to know the spindle location, but it’s good to know that the original spindle motor and controls might be an option. That seems like it could be one of the bigger costs. Thanks Gary

Yep, would be good to validate, I would assume this but would need to be checked.

Chaz
01-01-2024, 12:45 PM
Just one more question, if you were doing this again would you stay with the same control and components from SZGH or would you use something different?

Thanks again Gary

Interesting questions. The SZGH controller eliminates the PC stability / compatibility issue. The downside is that it feels like you are missing some flexibility and configuration options. It's all still there but not as easy / pretty. I think from a stability point of view, its great.

The only other controller Id consider at this stage is using Centroid as I have used on other machines (Mill and Lathes before). Each has its own benefits but Id never run Mach and/or CS Labs again personally.

glbreil
01-01-2024, 02:35 PM
Thanks, I have what has become an older CNC mill 1997 that was built new with a Centroid M400 control. It was my first CNC anything and I found it easy to learn and operate and the few times I have had trouble I have been able to figure out the issues and repair myself, so I definitely have been looking at that as an option.

Thanks Again Gary

Chaz
01-01-2024, 03:20 PM
Yep, Centroid is nice and mature and the conversational options are good too.

glbreil
05-01-2024, 02:25 AM
So after doing some research it looks like I would have to replace the axis motors to go with Centroid. They have a pretty nice system that only works with AC servos, but the encoders are on the motor.

Currently the CHNC 11 has the encoders on the ball screws and there is a belt between the motor and the ball screw.

What is your feeling about the effect on accuracy if the encoders were on the motor with a belt driving the screws?

Thanks Gary

Muzzer
05-01-2024, 03:37 PM
My Tree CNC lathe had encoders on the ballscrews rather than the motor, with a toothed belt between them. I replaced the brushed DC motors with LiChaun AC servos (ie encoders within the motor) and Centroid Acorn. Works fine.

I don't see any big distinction between the 2 arrangements. You still have some backlash between the ballscrew and the table / toolpost and within the slides themselves.

The next step beyond encoders on the ballscrews or motors) would be closed loop control using linear encoders (usually glass or magnetic scales). Centroid have just released the "Hickory" and "Acornsix" controllers which build on the Acorn system by catering for encoder position feedback. That might be an option if your finances permit.
https://shopcentroidcnc.com/hickory-cnc-controller/
https://shopcentroidcnc.com/acornsix-cnc-controller/

The main difference seems to be that the Hickory uses ethercat - Acornsix is probably more appropriate for the likes of us.

glbreil
05-01-2024, 04:19 PM
Thanks my only real concern is that the CHNC II is billed as a super precision lathe, not that I am doing anything super precision, but I hate to introduce any additional error if it isn't necessary. When emailing with Centroid, the recommended the Hickory system and the Leadshine EL7 AC servos. If having the encoders on the motor is an ok option, it appears to be a pretty simple retrofit solution. The only other issue to overcome is that I want to use the Fanuc AC Spindle Drive and Motor, but looking at the Centroid retrofit manual, it looks like that would work as well.

I did ask them if they have a motor that will work with the Hickory controller that has a separate encoder so it could be mounted on the screw, but I haven't heard back from them yet. There are only certain motors that will work with Hickory at this time. I am not sure what is required to get the Leadshine motors mounted in place of the Siemens DC servos yet. Still looking for a drawing of the motors.

Thanks for the thoughts, Gary

Muzzer
05-01-2024, 06:09 PM
Haha my Tree is described as "ultraprecision". That just seems to mean it has good quality bearings and ballscrews (all HSK) and the bed / frame is solid cast iron but still there is no means of compensating for any backlash after the ballscrews other than rely on the quality of the parts to minimise it.

I swapped the original 4000rpm 5HP DC spindle motor and drive on the Tree for a Yaskawa VFD and 3000rpm 4kW TEFC induction motor which work nicely with the Acorn using the 0-10V analog output. My Shizuoka mill came with a nice 6000rpm Hitachi induction machine, an ancient VFD and a 2 speed gearbox. With a modern Yaskawa VFD, this works fine up to 7500rpm with the Acorn. And despite being intended for industrial use with a wide speed range, the motor has no separate cooling fan. unlike the Tree which has a little blower on the side.

glbreil
05-01-2024, 08:47 PM
Another bit of a worry, is that the DC servos on the machine now are 1.3NM and Centroid recommended the Leadshine ELM2 750 watt AC servo motors to go with the Hickory control. The new motors are rated at 2.39NM so, but looking at the physical size they are tiny in comparison to the Siemens DC motors. I have never had anything with AC servos, I guess that is the norm?

Thanks Gary

m_c
06-01-2024, 01:24 AM
In short, it's unlikely to get external encoders that will work with the Hickory.

In full, Hickory is Centroid's EtherCAT system, which means technically you should be able to use any EtherCAT drives.
However the choice of EtherCAT drives is quite limited, and most EtherCAT drives are newer designs which make use of absolute/serial output encoders, not conventional quadrature output encoders.

If you could find a suitable external encoder (Leadshine EL7's are using 23-bit encoders), although you could connect it to the servo drive instead of the motor encoder, there may be a couple issues.
First is if the drive is using the encoder to establish the servo motors rotor position, then if you move the encoder to a random position, the motor could run roughly, or just not run at all.
Second is the potential issue that the drive may not handle any additional backlash between the motor and the encoder, leading to performance issues.

If you really wanted to make use of the additional encoders, you'd have to consider something like a Dynomotion Kflop or Kogna, as they can close the loop between the drive and additional encoders.

m_c
06-01-2024, 01:33 AM
Another bit of a worry, is that the DC servos on the machine now are 1.3NM and Centroid recommended the Leadshine ELM2 750 watt AC servo motors to go with the Hickory control. The new motors are rated at 2.39NM so, but looking at the physical size they are tiny in comparison to the Siemens DC motors. I have never had anything with AC servos, I guess that is the norm?

Thanks Gary

Not entirely normal, but some older servos were quite large things, but there were still some fairly compact ones.
I'd be more interested in how the torque/speed/inertia compares.

Inertia selection isn't an area I know much about, but I know when I asked somebody who was knowledgeable about it when looking for servos for my big mill, they advised to go for the larger 1250W servos, as despite the smaller 1000W servos having comparable performance to the original 1000W DC SEM servos, they said the larger frame size would be a better match and easier to tune.

glbreil
06-01-2024, 02:43 AM
Thanks, I probably should have started a new thread, but when I asked the first question I had. I idea it would lead to so many others.

I believe I have worked out how the Hickory control will give the command for the Fanuc AC spindle drive to run and control speed.

What I can’t understand of how the drive will give feed back to the control. The Fanuc drive gets feedback from the spindle encoder, but how is the position information transmitted to the control?

The drive has a Speed Arrival output which I think must transmit the position, but I don’t see where that would be received and coordinated with the axis drives for threading and such.

Gary

m_c
06-01-2024, 02:23 PM
There will need to be some form of encoder signal to the controller from the spindle.

glbreil
06-01-2024, 04:59 PM
Yes that is what I thought, I believe the Fanuc drive must put out the signal through the Speed arrival output, but I don't see anywhere on the Hickory controller to accept it. 32098 I may need to contact Centroid.

Thanks Gary

m_c
06-01-2024, 05:32 PM
There is most likely an independent spindle encoder, which will connect directly to the controller.

If you look at the Hickory wiring diagram, it makes mention of a spindle encoder cable (DB9 connector at lower left of the hickory board)

glbreil
06-01-2024, 05:45 PM
The Fanuc spindle encoder connects directly back to the drive through the CN2 cable mentioned on the Centroid/Fanuc Spindle I/O. If it requires a separate encoder to get feedback to the controller, it might be easier to just use a simple VFD rather than the Fanuc drive.

Muzzer
07-01-2024, 05:28 PM
If you don't plan to use ethercat, it looks to me as if the Acornsix would do the closed loop control of both the axes and the spindle. It's less expensive than the Hickory and that also applies to the associated software.upgrades.

If you prefer to use the motor encoders for axis position feedback, rather than use linear encoders, you can usually take an "encoder output" from the servo driver back to the system controller. This encoder signal can be a different resolution to the actual motor encoder itself - you can set the resolution in the driver setup

Most spindle VFDs are intended for speed control, rather than position control (which would be a servo's job) and they tend to be sensorless. This means you need to provide your own position encoder unless you have a fairly exotic VFD with position sensing. Furthermore, for cnc control, the spindle encoder needs to be directly geared to the spindle 1:1, which isn't usually the case if the encoder is mounted in spindle motor - unless the motor is part of the spindle itself.

glbreil
14-01-2024, 02:52 AM
Hello I got all of the control wiring figured out on the Fanuc A06B-6055-H106 window drive, but as soon as I apply voyage to the 0-10 volt input it gives an alarm 02 without ever making a sound or trying to start the motor. I also noticed that when just rolling the motor by hand the load meter would go all the way to the top and if you stop it in the right place will stay there.

I read something that sounds like that can be caused by a bad motor feed back sensor.

I guess any thoughts, and I guess my real question is there any reason I can’t just drive the Fanuc 7.5HP AC spindle drive motor with a cheap VFD?

It does have a separate spindle encoder as Muzzer mentioned earlier.

Thanks Gary