PDA

View Full Version : vista - parallele port = help

Dan Brown
16-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Hello

I've just learned that mach3 dosn't work through USB

my coputer is running vista and dosn't have a parallele port, and as far as i can make out vista wont support parallele port PCI cards WTF am i supposed to do next?

I'm really dumb when it comes to electrics so i was hopeing to buy a plug-n-play system from DIYcnc

Do's anyone know a way around this that

A. dosn't require me to buy a copy of XP plus a parallele port pci card

B.dosn't require me to spend too much more than than the system4 kit from DIYCNC (about £300 including power)

C. dosn't need me to be anygood at electronics (hence the plug-n-play option)

although on that last note, if anyone is willing and able to guide me through i don't mind a challenge but bear in mind i'm REALLY SERIOUSLY ignorant when it comes to electrics and as far as i'm concerned its on a par with voodoo

any help much appreciated
Dan

HiltonSteve
16-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Afternoon......

Right then, vista should work with a parallel port card, you just have to get the right one, such as this one - http://www.sourcingmap.com/pci-rs232-pin-serial-port-pin-printer-parallel-port-card-p-12429.html?currency=GBP look at the spec, says its compatible with vista.

I have had Mach3 running on my Vista 64bit machine but not tried a PCI parallel card before, pretty sure you will be able to one from somewhere. Get googling...

As for your plug and play system 4 kit, it may not be as plug and play as you think. There will be some wiring to do but the system4 should eliminate a quite a few wires, Roy's manuals are pretty easy to understand, even a complete electrical novice should be able to get one up and running if they take their time. If you do get stuck then ask away on the forum and I am sure someone will help.

Dan Brown
16-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the link m8, i had done a bit of googling but kept on finding people on yahoo answeres saying that they had no joy and the same story with maplins

That one you've shown me looks great

Dan Brown
16-11-2009, 11:11 PM
as for wiring thats not a problem as long as i've the backup/instructions/knowlage to wire from a to b thats fine, its when people start talking about testing the wot-nots and the fing-um-ine-bobs from here to f++k knows where that my brain starts melting

as for the mechanics of the actual machine no problem, thats more my realm:wink: