PDA

View Full Version : Help with wiring on a stepper please (Very No0b question dont laugh)

Fivetide
03-02-2021, 02:29 PM
So I have the yellow wired stepper Pic A Below

and I'm making the plugs for this board and its wired with the black one.. Pic B below

do I wire the plug to yellow wire diagram ? I know it sounds like a n00b question but I thought its better to ask than set fire to something lol

:)

m_c
03-02-2021, 06:02 PM
As long as the correct coil pairs are matched, the only difference it'll make is what direction the motor runs.

Doddy
03-02-2021, 06:03 PM
Okay, I've spent 2 minutes on the Makerbase website and given up - have you got instructions for the board, and in particular which are the A+/A- and B+/B- terminals on those 4 way plugs?

If so - it's easy - work out the coil pairs on the stepper? If you have an Ohm meter (DMM etc) then measure which pair of leads has ~1-3 Ohms resistance between them - of the four wires, there are two pairs each with that low resistance. Then you need to wire ANY pair to the corresponding A+/A- pins (doesn't matter which way around). Wire the OTHER pair to the B+/B- pins - again, doesn't matter which way around. There's a 50/50 chance that the motor will spin in the wrong direction - then swap the pins on ONE pair only (so swap A+/A-, for example).

If you don't have a meter... buy one. Or short two wires on the motor together (with nothing else connected, of course!) - if you find two that makes it more difficult to rotate the motor by hand - you've found a pair. Confirm by shorting the other pair with a similar increase in resistance to rotation.

If it makes you feel better - you're not going to burn the house down. The one thing you must do, however, is avoid removing the stepper wiring when power is applied - it's a good way to destroy the drivers (read up on collapsing EM fields)

Fivetide
04-02-2021, 11:49 AM
Its the red an black wire that always throws me, I keep thinking its live/earth but of course its just polls. It worked wired as in the diagram.
Thanks

Clive S
04-02-2021, 02:35 PM
Its the red an black wire that always throws me, I keep thinking its live/earth but of course its just polls. It worked wired as in the diagram.
Thanks

Remember electricity does not care about the colour. In Spain the black wire is the live phase, where as here it used to be red now it it brown :apthy:

Fivetide
04-02-2021, 04:01 PM
I pinned one of them up with single puponts in case it it didn't work but worked fine first time

Kitwn
04-02-2021, 10:33 PM
Remember electricity does not care about the colour. In Spain the black wire is the live phase, where as here it used to be red now it it brown :apthy:

In the USA they use black for positive and white for negative. You find a lot of imported 12V stuff for cars and caravans in Australia like that which throws any ex-pom who assumes that black is still negative and only the positive colour has changed!