PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum cleaner / dust extractor

chillybo
26-02-2021, 08:00 PM
Hello everyone,
Could I ask for recommendations for a powerful - and if possible not to noisy - vacuum cleaner to use with a cyclone and a dust bucket?
I will also want to connect it to a dust shoe when i get round to making one.
Our old Dyson Animal has lost some of it's suck!
Thanks...Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUB2H92DY48&t=205s

Kitwn
26-02-2021, 10:53 PM
In spite of the hype, Dyson's do actually have filters in them which need to be cleaned regularly for maximum suck. There might be life in the old beast yet!

Kit

m_c
26-02-2021, 10:55 PM
If it's a Dyson, strip the cyclone section down and give it all a wash. IIRC there's a ring of screws that hold it all together.
They eventually clog up, especially if they've been used for anything damp/sticky, which wood dust can be.
And give the filters a wash out at the same time.

Neale
26-02-2021, 10:55 PM
I've been using one of these (https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wet+Dry-Vacuum-with-Blower-20L---1250W/p/215735) for a few years now. Stands a lot of abuse, and at that price when it does eventually blow up, I'll just bin it and get another one. I seem to remember getting the optional filter for it - like a car air cleaner filter element. It just gets cleaned from time to time - can't remember now why the original element isn't as good, it's so long since I got it! But it's not quiet. Not horrendous but I wear ear defenders more for the vacuum cleaner than the CNC router...

BTW, watching your video - I wouldn't bother slowing the ramp speed with cuts like that. Just ramp in at the usual cutting speed. Probably could take a bit more depth of cut as well as more cutting speed, but if you're still feeling your way with the machine, I can understand a bit of caution! And it throws the dust and chips even further...

chillybo
26-02-2021, 11:23 PM
Thanks Neale, i'm definitely still feeling my way with the machine and software etc for that matter. Didn't alter much g code wise from what fusion 360 CAM spat out. Other than adding G91.1 and G54 commands because it just wouldn't work from the original post process. I certainly need to learn more about feeds and speeds to improve on efficiency. Each one of these cuts took 8 minutes but it felt much longer chasing the cutter around with an old dyson. I need to get a little more organised!

cropwell
27-02-2021, 01:56 AM
I have been using the Wickes vac for a while now (about 7 years) and waiting for the noisy bugger to blow up, but it seems pretty good still. I have a cyclone and bucket (actually a large glass jar) and I recently replaced it with a transparent lidded bucket, but that spectacularly imploded the first time I tried it when I blocked the inlet with my hand.

I have a small drum filter from an ash bucket on the top of the cyclone, in a 3d printed enclosure. This stops anything the cyclone doesn't and when the vac stops anything in it drops down through the cyclone into the collection bin. This keeps the main vac filter clean enough to consider not having it. So that might be put on the project list (to cut down the vac to a basic air mover to save space).

johnsattuk
27-02-2021, 02:49 PM
Big fan of Nilfisk myself, concocted this from bits bought from fleabay, the cyclone is mounted in the middle section. The nilfisk motors are continuously rated, not too noisy and will run 10hrs non stop, not many domestic vacs will do that.

Kitwn
27-02-2021, 11:13 PM
Big fan of Nilfisk myself, concocted this from bits bought from fleabay, the cyclone is mounted in the middle section. The nilfisk motors are continuously rated, not too noisy and will run 10hrs non stop, not many domestic vacs will do that.

Looks like something the Russians would have sent into space around 1958 :joker:

Kit

chillybo
28-02-2021, 10:14 PM
These look like good machines!

routercnc
03-03-2021, 07:23 PM
I’ve been using a Henry for years. Quiet, cheap (£120), good suction, simple to clean out. I had intended to build or buy a cyclone or just simple in - out intermediate bucket but never got around to it. Just the Henry works great.

chillybo
04-03-2021, 06:51 PM
I've ordered one of these, they seem to have good reviews.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MQVAJ8D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pilsbury
07-03-2021, 12:15 AM
The best thing I did was build an external box onto my shed workshop where the dust extractor is located and piped in. Got a cheapo remote plug socket thingy off Amazon to turn it on and off.

chillybo
07-03-2021, 12:32 PM
I'l be moving my machine into a brick shed at the end of the garden. First of all though Ive got to build a stud frame inside and insulate it all / floating floor etc. I am planning a small room for the dust extraction.

WoodKnot
22-06-2021, 01:16 PM
I've ordered one of these, they seem to have good reviews.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MQVAJ8D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good afternoon Chillybo - I also purchased one of those and ended up taking it out of the workshop within a few months!

I now use it to VAC the cars!!

I run three cyclonic separators, all on a different workshop Vac.

As long as you have a clean vac bin and full separator bin - its working fine for you!

WoodKnot