PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Plate Set

WoodKnot
17-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Good afternoon all

I am after an aluminium plate set making up - is there anyone that could provide that service for me please?

Apologies up front for the type of machine that I am building!!

Its based on the C beam profile and linear rail system screw driven, so i need a full plate set.

All 3 axis will be twin linear rails

Its the same as the Queenbee upgrade kit (Australia) or the Danish Pirhanha 1010.

The cost of the kits is prohibitive, especially with shipping and taxes added!

I have no way of making these myself and cannot even contemplate starting the build without a complete kit.

Thanks in advance

WoodKnot

Doddy
17-06-2021, 08:15 PM
I mean this reply to be constructive - yes, you've explained your choice of machine and hopefully we can move on.

This site does support your type of request - normally people are asked to post in the "Market Place" / "Projects Jobs and Requests" - just post a "RFQ" posting in there. Comments are disabled in there (since one of my much earlier posts courted some controversy), and people "up for the job" will contact you directly. I've had a couple of plates manufactured by people in here in the past and it's been a good experience.

But, I'd suggest most people would be keen for you to baseline a set of drawings such that they know exactly what it is you're after. I've spent 10 minutes googling a Queenbee plate set - I think I've got a parametric model of the whole machine in Fusion 360 as a result, but have no confidence with the default values whether this is the size that you want, or not - and the open source nature means this particular model might differ from the next model online. Anyone looking to undertake this work will want any ambiguity of the plates required removed by you providing a copy of the drawing set (or 3d model) - or link to same.

Again, just to re-iterate, this post whilst itself doesn't address your needs, may hopefully help you post enough detail that people can genuinely step in to help.

m_c
17-06-2021, 08:51 PM
If you'd like somebody to machine plates, then you're going to have to provide drawings.

However, they are pretty basic plates. There are a few suppliers who'll cut plate to custom (square/rectangle) sizes.
Even the more complicated shapes could be cut with a good jigsaw and suitable metal cutting blade. Holes just require some careful marking and drilling.

WoodKnot
17-06-2021, 10:33 PM
Thanks gents, I will post in the relevant section

WoodKnot
17-06-2021, 10:39 PM
I never thought about cutting aluminium with a jig saw!

I can template from ply and transfer across, maybe I can make my own?

I have just purchased a tap and die set as well just in case I needed some extra brackets etc anyway.

I also treated myself to a nice new Dewalt jigsaw a few months ago

Time to get some aluminium plate

Thanks gents!

m_c
18-06-2021, 12:14 AM
It's surprising what you can cut with a jigsaw. I've used them for 3mm sheet steel in the past.

The big thing you'll need to be aware of is the aluminium sticking to the blade. A little bit WD40 will help avoid sticking, and quite a course blade on thicker plates will help.
If you wanted to get a good edge, you could go to the length of making up router templates, and finishing the edges with a suitable router bit.

It's not ideal, but aluminium can be cut with most carbide wood working bits. Just give them a little coat of some WD40 to avoid sticking, and make sure you're wearing long sleeves and safety glasses.

There is also the possibility of making a crude set of plates, then using the machine itself to make a better set.

For tapping aluminium, I'd advice against general purpose taps.
Get either spiral point (for through holes, as the spiral point pushes the swarf ahead of the tap), or spiral flute (for blind holes, as the swarf travels back along the spirals).
Spiral point is the preferred option, as you don't have to deal with swarf wrapping around, and potentially jamming the tap, but not all holes are going to be through holes.
And run the taps in a cordless drill if you can.

This is the supplier I've used in the past for taps - https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/cncpoorboytoolstore
For aluminium taps, just search their store for Yellow and the size you're looking for, as Europa yellow ring uncoated taps are their better option for aluminium.

Doddy
18-06-2021, 07:21 AM
Just to add to this - if you can afford the space, and the opportunity presents itself - a second-hand 6x4 band saw would take an awful lot of effort out of the process. I picked one up for £100 (I think) and it has been one on my most-used purchases. Of course, being a sawdust eater you may already have a bandsaw - have a google and see if people recommend it for cutting metal (usually requires a half-speed gearing). A Jig-saw can work, but on thick ali a band saw just makes life better.

WoodKnot
18-06-2021, 08:20 AM
Just to add to this - if you can afford the space, and the opportunity presents itself - a second-hand 6x4 band saw would take an awful lot of effort out of the process. I picked one up for £100 (I think) and it has been one on my most-used purchases. Of course, being a sawdust eater you may already have a bandsaw - have a google and see if people recommend it for cutting metal (usually requires a half-speed gearing). A Jig-saw can work, but on thick ali a band saw just makes life better.

Yes, thanks Doddy, being a sawdust eater i do have a bandsaw, lots of saws, too many saws!

I was going to use 10mm plate, which is thicker than most spec for my type of build.

Is 5083 ok or do i need a 6000 grade?

Thanks

WoodKnot

A_Camera
01-07-2021, 08:19 AM
Yes, thanks Doddy, being a sawdust eater i do have a bandsaw, lots of saws, too many saws!

I was going to use 10mm plate, which is thicker than most spec for my type of build.

Is 5083 ok or do i need a 6000 grade?

Thanks

WoodKnot

Small circular saw, table saw, bench saw, jigsaw, band saw... basically, all can cut aluminium with the right blade. I use Bosch Expert Aluminium blades for all my circular saws. Expensive, but cuts like butter even through 25mm thick plates. My smallest saw is a tiny Proxxon table saw using 50mm blades, and even that can cut 10mm plates, but of course, I have saw blades for the material. According to the manufacturer, it can only cut 3mm but of course, that's an underestimation and if you are careful, waxing the blade then you can cut thicker. OK, I mainly use that for PCB, which it is perfect for, but it's good to use it on other material also. Even for the jigsaw, if you want good results then it's best to buy special blades designed for soft metal cutting. I don't have any band saw, but I am sure even those have blades for metal, not just wood. Never the less, I have not seen a saw which can't cut aluminium. I am always waxing (using wax candle left over studs) every blade before cutting, it creates most of the time very nice finish and makes cutting easy and smooth.

WoodKnot
01-07-2021, 09:17 AM
Thanks again A Camera -

The truth is, i did not want to start cutting metal, the small bits that i have ever needed to cut, i just use some old engineers handsaws that my father passed down to me.

The path i wanted to go down, was one of ease, based on the path followed by many.

All the profiles are cut exactly to length, paid for them to be pre-drilled and tapped.

I wanted to buy the parts, of the shelf, assemble and off i go.

I have made a mistake and should have stuck to the plan.

The few small deviations, like purchasing the thicker linear rails and ball screws is a deviation.

I must stick to the plan

I know that the machine i will build will be a piece of shit (allegedly) - but I must stick to the plan

Anybody want some Rm1605 ball screws, as they are going in the bin! I must stick to the plan!

I MUST STICK TO THE PLAN!

Woodknot!

A_Camera
01-07-2021, 06:28 PM
Thanks again A Camera -

The truth is, i did not want to start cutting metal, the small bits that i have ever needed to cut, i just use some old engineers handsaws that my father passed down to me.

The path i wanted to go down, was one of ease, based on the path followed by many.

All the profiles are cut exactly to length, paid for them to be pre-drilled and tapped.

I wanted to buy the parts, of the shelf, assemble and off i go.

I have made a mistake and should have stuck to the plan.

The few small deviations, like purchasing the thicker linear rails and ball screws is a deviation.

I must stick to the plan

I know that the machine i will build will be a piece of shit (allegedly) - but I must stick to the plan

Anybody want some Rm1605 ball screws, as they are going in the bin! I must stick to the plan!

I MUST STICK TO THE PLAN!

Woodknot!

I think you will need to start cutting metal if you are going to make metal signs. Cutting metal is no magic, all you need is the right blades.

Anyway, I also don't think you should throw away thow ball screws and rails, you should keep them. There will come a day when you want to upgrade the CNC or make a new one, and these can come VERY handy. You have a big shop, find a place for them and keep them for later use. Yes, it's good idea to stick to the plan somebody else already designed, especially if you are new to this. Good luck.