PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing Fogbuster in UK?

alanambrose
04-07-2021, 04:46 PM
Anyone figured out how to inexpensively source a Fogbuster into the UK? I see the US site doesn't even have on-line ordering - very old school.

Alan

JAZZCNC
04-07-2021, 05:09 PM
Anyone figured out how to inexpensively source a Fogbuster into the UK? I see the US site doesn't even have on-line ordering - very old school.

Alan

Not possible, Fogbusters are expensive even if bought in the UK. However, they are good.

I think Stoney CNC in Ireland sells them.?

dazp1976
04-07-2021, 05:13 PM
Anyone figured out how to inexpensively source a Fogbuster into the UK?

Alan

Good luck with that one.
I all but give up on sourcing machine related stuff in the u.k.

m_c
04-07-2021, 06:56 PM
Stoney CNC do sell them - https://www.stoneycnc.com/cnc-components/cnc-cooling-systems

I made one for my old Novamill. They aren't complicated, and the key is in the pressurised coolant source and the mixer.

Just done a quick search, and these are the plans I roughly followed - https://www.cnczone.com/forums/uncategorised-metalworking-machines/102934-built-fog-less-coolant-mister.html
And this was the coolant I used - https://www.johnnealeltd.co.uk/shopenvirocutse10.html

johngoodrich
05-07-2021, 07:03 AM
i followed the same design as m_c. It works really well and cost under £30

alanambrose
07-07-2021, 11:27 AM
FWIW Sorotec in Germany stocks them on a 2 week wait.

A.

alanambrose
07-07-2021, 11:42 AM
Re DIY plans:

https://www.machinistblog.com/zero-fog-mister/

alanambrose
08-10-2021, 11:13 AM
OK a follow-up on Fogbuster for anyone looking at this:

+ I sourced one from Sorotec. As I said above, the key parts seem to be metric although there are a few 1/2" and 3/4" fittings in the kit just like any piped work in EU/UK. Note that it comes pretty much as a kit of parts to assemble. The main inlet air fitting supplied is a Euro / XF one (at least from Sorotec).

+ The instructions are badly written and not clear and I think the design needs a bit of refinement. Eventually I found that the product photos on the Sorotec site actually show how the thing goes together. The shortcomings are: (a) because of the placement of the gauge and the 'contents height tube' - the container / valve assembly is really designed to sit on the left of the spindle - I had originally planned for it to sit on the right, (b) you really need to use a clough42-like loc-line on a mill - you might get away with Fogbuster's magnet base on a lathe, (c) the things doesn't sit securely on its base and is top-heavy - so it needs a support of some kind.

+ I used something like clough42's loc-line and 3d printed holders for the flow valve assembly. That's *much* better than Fogbuster's magnet base idea. I'm going to use neat IPA in it (like Stefan G) as I do mostly aluminium. Also, i plan to fit a CNC-controlled on/off valve. I think Fogbuster should supply the loc-line / holder as standard or at least as options. Also, various support options to stop it falling over e.g. a base. Also you need a funnel to fill it, so put one in the kit please for a cost of 10c or at least tell your customers up front.

+ a gotcha - although I looked under a magnifier, I didn't twig that the 6mm->M5x0.8 shark-bite fittings take an internal 2.5mm key to tighten them. I had to order replacements from Cotswold. Did they put that in the assembly instructions - nah, why would they?

Something I realised afterwards- I really wanted something to remove chips so I can leave the CNC-mill unattended for longer sessions and avoid chip re-cutting quality and breakage problems. While the Fogbuster will work well for that and I can see benefiting from MQL in some circumstances, I could have probably got away with a targeted and controlled air blast for 90% of my needs as I usually cut dry.

I still have to use it in anger and there's a non-return valve niggle to sort. That's all for now though - if I remember I'll post back when I have some better experience with it.

Alan

alanambrose
08-10-2021, 11:28 AM
p.s. I didn't see this before, but I see Stepcraft have an MQL system also:

https://shop.stepcraft-systems.com/lubrication-system

A.

terry1956
12-10-2021, 12:27 PM
I purchased a fog buster from American some time back. Save your money. It’s a next to useless bit of kit. In the end I made my own using a water filter and some fittings from eBay. Cost less then £25. The fog buster sits under the work bench collecting dust.

JAZZCNC
12-10-2021, 01:55 PM
I purchased a fog buster from American some time back. Save your money. It’s a next to useless bit of kit. In the end I made my own using a water filter and some fittings from eBay. Cost less then £25. The fog buster sits under the work bench collecting dust.

Have you considered that you might have set it up or been using it wrong.? There are 1000's of users around the world using them that think they are great, me included. We use ours every day and it does exactly what it says on the tin! It gives minimal quantity lube without the fog or mist.

terry1956
12-10-2021, 02:45 PM
No it was set up correctly. The one I made works so much better.

JAZZCNC
12-10-2021, 09:33 PM
No it was set up correctly. The one I made works so much better.

In what way does it work better.?

terry1956
13-10-2021, 09:01 AM
It’s much more controlled. The fog buster from the states cost just over £200 in all. It came with 4 foot of tube between the coolant tank and the nozzle. Not much for a milling machine, ok for a lathe. The fitting got the nozzle tube was cheaply made and always slipped. The fog buster I made cost a total of £30. It allowed two nozzles to be used at the same time allowing good chip removal. And I also had a air blast gun included. Building your own is an easy job. I have now gone over to flood coolant.

the great waldo
13-10-2021, 11:30 AM
It’s much more controlled. The fog buster from the states cost just over £200 in all. It came with 4 foot of tube between the coolant tank and the nozzle. Not much for a milling machine, ok for a lathe. The fitting got the nozzle tube was cheaply made and always slipped. The fog buster I made cost a total of £30. It allowed two nozzles to be used at the same time allowing good chip removal. And I also had a air blast gun included. Building your own is an easy job. I have now gone over to flood coolant.

Hi Terry
Do you have a photo you could post for forumites to see ? It might help others rig something up.
Cheers
Andrew

terry1956
13-10-2021, 11:40 AM
Sorry it went with the machine. My current mill uses flood coolant

the great waldo
13-10-2021, 10:15 PM
Hi Terry
Maybe a hint on how you went about it ??
Cheers
Andrew

JAZZCNC
14-10-2021, 07:27 PM

Ye that's ok for you but some people like me, where time is money, haven't got time to mess around sourcing and building add-on's and calling a product next to useless just because it doesn't live up to what you need isn't really fair IMO.
The fogger buster does exactly what says it does and works very well, if you have a need for extra pipe length or more nozzles then that's for you to ask or request, but for anyone who just wants a hassle-free setup then it does work very well.

alanambrose
18-10-2021, 04:24 PM
I wonder whether this is a function of what work you're doing?

I have cut exactly one part with the fogbuster - but it was a 2D aluminium part with some deep grooves and 1mm step down. FB worked good for this - air blew the chips out of the grooves and a tiny blast of IPA gave enough cooling and lubrication to improve the finish. It was all getting quite gummy with a dreadful burr and horrible finish until I turned the IPA on. This is on a little mill.

But if I was hogging hard steel or titanium like a boss on a huge spindle I might wish for a big hose and pump and industrial levels of coolant. Physics maybe? I had a big 'duh' moment when I saw NYCCNC doing calcs that included spindle power. Yeah, of course it matters.

Alan

terry1956
18-10-2021, 04:43 PM
Each to their own,

terry1956
18-10-2021, 04:55 PM
I think it all depends on a number of issues if a mist set up works for you or not. For years i just used a spray bottle when machining, be it lathe work or milling. I was put off coolant by the cancer problems some people had with their hands. However with newer and better coolant available I looked at it again. At first I when with the mist set up, not wanting the machines covered in coolant and me having to clean it all up after each session. However I had to machine a number of 25mm slots in aluminium. You will all know that aluminium can be a pig to machine if the work gets hot. And the mist along with air blast to get the chips out of the slot worked ok until the last 6mm or so. I found myself waiting until the material had cooled down allowing cutting to start again. It was also getting harder to get the chips out which was the real problem. So I fitted flood coolant to the mill using an old pond pump and a number of filters. By using a good pressure I was able to stop the coolant flying all over the place and it cleared the chips from the slots with ease. I don’t use it all the time, but it’s a tool I use. As to making my own fog buster, time wise it took less then an hour to complete, once the filter and hose turned up. As I said each to their own.