PDA

View Full Version : What's news in 1.2113 other than the horrible HMI?

A_Camera
10-10-2021, 05:46 PM
Unfortunately, CNC Drive released a new version without proper documentation. I can't find any manual to download. The one in the product link (http://www.cncdrive.com/UCCNC.html) (Downloads for this product) is for the 1.2111

Maybe it's just me and I am sorry to say, but I am not impressed with the HMI change and would like to know if the change history would give me any other reason for upgrading. Basically, the 1.2113 version rendered my work with my probe screen useless, so I am not very happy, but of course, UCCNC is not my product, so there is nothing I can do about it except to express my unhappiness. Even though I know that today there is a built in probe screen in UCCNC which is much more advanced than what I provide, I like mine more and get many comments / mail about how useful and simple it is, so it is a bit unfortunate for us who like the principle of "keep it simple" idea.

So it would be good to know if it is at all worth bothering with the upgrade and giving up my own probe macros, because one thing is sure, I won't spend more time with my probe screens. The UCCNC Change Log have not been updated since forever, and I can't find any information about what's new.

Edit:
My question was partially answered. Apparently the HMI can be set to the old one, which is good, but I still don't know what's new in this version.

JAZZCNC
11-10-2021, 08:15 AM
I'm surprised you haven't seen this screen set because it's been part of the development version for a long time now. I'm like you, I hate the look of this new screen but it's easy enough to change the screen set and revert back to the old style. My Son uses the new one and I use the Old one but both are using V1.2113.

The main change I've noticed is that it now allows you to set debounce for inputs, Homes, and probes separately when before it just did a blanket debounce on all the general inputs.
If you load the default screen set rather than the default 2019 screen you will see in the general settings some new fields(2654 and 2655) for probe debounce, these are new fields that were previously reserved in the fields by number docs.

I've also noticed it's much faster and smoother updating the screens/toolpaths so maybe they have tweaked the base code etc.?

A_Camera
12-10-2021, 09:42 AM
I don't use and not following the development versions and only use the official releases. Maybe one day I will download, install and have a look at it, but since I just recently fixed the issues with my probe screens, problems caused by a previous UCCNC version, I got worried when a friend of mine showed me this. Hopefully the possibility of swapping the HMI out with the old one works, and not mess up my probe screen again.

I don't like that they always write "some bug fixes" without listing the bugs which are identified and fixed. I don't feel that I have any needs for the new functions, so I am not in a hurry to install this version.

Kitwn
21-02-2022, 07:07 AM
I'd read this thread before but hadn't paid much attention until just now when I downloaded a new copy of the UCCNC manual and found some weird new interface screen on the front!

The user manual has now been updated to cover the 1.2113 version. All the images are of the new screenset. This may be old news to some of you, but not to me. I mention it in case it's both new and useful to someone.

A_Camera
21-02-2022, 09:15 AM
Maybe in the next version the old HMI will not be available any more, which I think would be a bad idea because the new HMI isn't very well designed, especially those tiny Start, Stop, Hold and so on buttons on the right should be coloured and MUCH larger. Also the choice of colour map is horrible with that black background. I don't know who designed it, but the person doesn't seem to have studied HMI, otherwise he / she wouldn't have chosen that EXTREME high contrast HMI with inverted colouring, red or white text or lines on black is a horrible combination, the most horrible you can find. Black is good as background when you are watching photographic images, but not for reading text or fine lines. Black creates also a lot of reflections, so it is bad in may ways. But the worst is that all, or most buttons are of the same size and same colour, crammed together. I mean, it wouldn't have taken too much effort to make the G code display window smaller so that the critical buttons on the right could have been made at least twice the size and the Reset even larger. Those are critical control buttons and should be easily identifiable and found on the screen. As it is now, they are just like any other button, melted into the HMI.