PDA

View Full Version : extrusion construction

CNCBlug
23-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I would like to construct my cnc bed from 60x60 extruded aluminum.
It should end up in the region of 1.6mx1m with 2 additional cross bars for the work surface.

I am just wondering if, after ordering the lengths, they would need any aditional machining/rounding off. (I am sure it will differ between suppliers)

Have any of you had experience in this? Is it possible to just order and assemble and expect them to line up?

Also, if you could suggest a good supplier, it would be much appreciated.

irving2008
23-12-2009, 01:31 PM
I would like to construct my cnc bed from 60x60 extruded aluminum.
It should end up in the region of 1.6mx1m with 2 additional cross bars for the work surface.

I am just wondering if, after ordering the lengths, they would need any aditional machining/rounding off. (I am sure it will differ between suppliers)

Have any of you had experience in this? Is it possible to just order and assemble and expect them to line up?

Also, if you could suggest a good supplier, it would be much appreciated.
Most will only guarantee cutting accuracy to +1 or 2mm as this is down to the operators setting of the cutting jig, but usually identical lengths will be very close to identical as the cut is very repeatable. You can often specify higher accuracy at a price, read their website small print.

KJN (http://www.kjnltd.co.uk/)are often cited here as a good supplier, although I have no personal experience

Wobblybootie
24-12-2009, 11:32 PM
You could check out www.mbsitem.co.uk A friend bought some Profile 8 kit from them and the cut length was +0.5mm over what he requested. However all pieces were exactly the same and the ends were perfectly square.

I have no connection to this company.

Lee Roberts
25-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Links not working bootie !

Wobblybootie
25-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Hmmmmmm. does for me ... Well if not just copy and paste ...

irving2008
25-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Hmmmmmm. does for me ... Well if not just copy and paste ...Thats cos i fixed it! :wave:

Wobblybootie
25-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Ahhhhhhh .... Cheers ... :beer:

CNCBlug
27-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Thx guys!

I suppose the table width might be out by a mm or two, but at least it should be close to parallel.
I think I will get the gantry widths cut after the bed is made.

Oh and thanks for the links too. I will go have a look.

Oks

Lee Roberts
28-12-2009, 01:55 AM
Blug,

I cut some of this material recently, please see this link: Link

monza
31-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Looking at using this myself to build the frame and gantry for my homemade CNC machine, what are you guys planning on using for the axes? have you used the sliding carriages that are available or an ingenious DIY method?

CNCBlug
31-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Looking at using this myself to build the frame and gantry for my homemade CNC machine, what are you guys planning on using for the axes? have you used the sliding carriages that are available or an ingenious DIY method?

Thats quite a big question!
What size frame are you looking at?

monza
31-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Out of this probably a 2'x4' bed and about 18" gantry height. :)

Been looking at this site
http://www.8020cnc.com/images/machine.jpg
http://www.8020cnc.com/

monza
03-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Well been looking even more over the last couple of days and seem to have a nice solid plan in my head, with minimal machining of parts and hopefully cheap enough to build and then simply upgrade the sizes as needed. Just tracking down a couple of suppliers of the extrusion and seeing if I can get the linear parts made rather than importing them + tax + vat + shipping etc. More to follow :)