PDA

View Full Version : I am questioning my sanity....

irving2008
29-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Well the last two days I have spent a lot of time generating scrap :cry:

Drills breaking off in holes, holes bored too big because I forgot the clicks on the boring head were radius not diameter ( I'd remembered right up to the last but one cut :sad: ) and finally when I get everything else right, I went to tap out a 3mm hole and the tap snapped off in the hole... thought it felt tight, wasn't till after it snapped I looked closely... the plug tap was a 1/8BSW not an M3... this was a brand new 3tap set from RDG still in its plastic wrapping... never imagined one of them would be wrong.

Argggggggghhhhh :mad:

John S
29-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Look on the bright side, if you had took up knitting you would have probably dropped a stitch .........................

ptjw7uk
29-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes but you could then have corrected it but in metal....

Oh yes and those days when I had wished I had stayed in bed... but thats another story..

Peter

Lee Roberts
30-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Look on the bright side, if you had took up knitting you would have probably dropped a stitch .........................

:lmao::toot: lol:rofl: !, gota love john !

irving2008
30-12-2009, 11:09 AM
OK, in a bid to recover my sanity and not have to start over, has anyone ever used this broken tap remover liquid (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Broken-tap-remover-Emergency-work-recovery-tool_W0QQitemZ290385485733)? It sounds too good to be true!

pavlo
30-12-2009, 11:36 AM
His feedback is good so he's not a cowboy seller. I reckon it would be worth a try.

John S
30-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes it works but it's slow.

It's only Alum so if you have any kicking about use that, you don't actually say what material , this only works with non ferrous.

Heath food shops sell Alum, it's a spice.

irving2008
30-12-2009, 02:11 PM
His feedback is good so he's not a cowboy seller. I reckon it would be worth a try.Yes, the supplier is OK, bought my Vactra oil and Catsrol SUDS stuff fom him in the past. He does a lot of useful chemicals that are hard to get elsewhere.

irving2008
30-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes it works but it's slow.

It's only Alum so if you have any kicking about use that, you don't actually say what material , this only works with non ferrous.

Heath food shops sell Alum, it's a spice.

.Alum = Aluminium Potassium Sulphate which he also sells @ 6.95 instead of 7.99 for 500g. I am working in Aluminium...

I'm going to redo the part, but I'll get some of this stuff and try it...

BillTodd
30-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Irving,

Is it cold in your workshop? I find it's almost dangerous to work if the temperature is too low. My brain simply refuses to work properly, even though I don't feel that cold (i.e body and hands warm).

Bill

Robin Hewitt
30-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I've been waiting to break a tap ever since I made a spark eroder.

I did pop an 8mm ISO the other day, dropped it, but there was enough sticking out the hole to grip.

irving2008
30-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Irving,

Is it cold in your workshop? I find it's almost dangerous to work if the temperature is too low. My brain simply refuses to work properly, even though I don't feel that cold (i.e body and hands warm).

Bill

it is a tad nippy, but not too bad... with the fan heater on medium its about 15degC in this weather (4degC outside) if I put it on full it only goes up another degree so I dont bother.

Anyway redid the part today with no hassles except had to make the tapped holes M4 due to lack of M3 tap and 2.5mm drill now...

Its not even a complex part - just a 50 x 36 x 20mm chunk of ally drilled through 10mm and bored to take an 8x22x7 skate bearing on one side and a recessed 16x5 thrust bearing on the other, a cover plate for the bearing and a few mounting holes...

John S
30-12-2009, 11:48 PM
it is a tad nippy, but not too bad... with the fan heater on medium its about 15degC in this weather (4degC outside) if I put it on full it only goes up another degree so I dont bother.

Was in the workshop today and started burning off Christmas rubbish in the stove, just above the stove is a thermometer and after it got up to 48 C I thought it prudent to back it off a couple of gears.

A nice 30 is very nice this weather, mind you when it's burnt down a bit it soon gets very cold with all the machines and metal in the shop.

I keep about 7 tonnes of steel on stock at any one time and that takes a large amount of heat to raise it 10 degrees.

Peter Griffin
31-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Was in the workshop today and started burning off Christmas rubbish in the stove, just above the stove is a thermometer and after it got up to 48 C I thought it prudent to back it off a couple of gears.

A nice 30 is very nice this weather, mind you when it's burnt down a bit it soon gets very cold with all the machines and metal in the shop.

I keep about 7 tonnes of steel on stock at any one time and that takes a large amount of heat to raise it 10 degrees.

I used to work in a workshop with no overnight heating, we had a radial drill which weighed about 10 ton. when this got cold it was like a giant radiator in reverse sucking in any heat we could get in the building.

dickieto
10-02-2010, 11:27 PM
OK, in a bid to recover my sanity and not have to start over, has anyone ever used this broken tap remover liquid (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Broken-tap-remover-Emergency-work-recovery-tool_W0QQitemZ290385485733)? It sounds too good to be true!
hi irving
i saw this on another engineering site and remembered this thread.
:beer:Tom..

daveshorts
11-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Irving,
Bill
Insulated boiler suits are the way forward, it takes hours rather than minutes for my feet to go numb if I am wearing one...
http://www.cjsafety.co.uk/product/509_blue-castle-quilted-boiler-suit-377.html

BillTodd
11-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I used to have a set of them (in Zurich '87 - wonder where they went?), they're absolutely brilliant for working outside in sub-zero conditions :) They were bright orange, just like the camp x-ray suits :LOL: