PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hello from Shropshire

Yohudi
03-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Hello all... Thanks for the invite to UK based CNC forum..

I've recently completed a fairly Large Aluminium frame router (Cut area X,Y,Z = 1.8m x 1.4m x 300mm). 3 1/4 HP (2300 Wat) spindle, fastest cuts to date at rate of 3 metres per minute. Machine cost about 25% of what it would cost to buy a turnkey setup of this type. Was my first/only CNC project and ultimate aim is to adapt it into a machining centre. 3 axis at the moment but I have 3 rotary's waiting to go on there at some point to ramp it up to 6 axis. I designed and built the controller myself.. using motion control drives. I designed the mechanical aspects of the machine myself.. but let's face it it's like meccano.. so it's not exactly difficult. Think there are a lot of myths about CNC and what will and will not work. Proof of the pudding is in the cutting IMHO.. so I'm not much of a theory type. I've got a fairly complete build log up at CNCZone.. including full costings.. which might be of interest/use to people here.

I cut my own designs in wood... with a view to selling wholesale at some point.. but selling direct to public at the moment. Work I do ranges from Lapsteel guitars through to furniture and ride-on toys...will look at some work in Expanded PVCU at some point. I got into CNC through 3D modeling. I've used 3D Studio range of software for well over 10 years. I can make practically anything in 3D Studio.. I use Cut 3D or CNCToolkit to generate GCode.

Will be interesting to see if things take off here. Can be hard to make a forum fly... fingers crossed.

TTFN

Yohudi

Lee Roberts
03-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the forums.

We welcome your expertise and feel very privileged to have you part of our community.

We are still in the process of setting the forums up adding new content and so on, please feel free to make any suggestions you feel could benefit us and the community.

CNCUK

Lee Roberts
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey!,

Welcome to the forums Yohudi, i must say i'm liking the rocking horse looks really nice.

Why not post your build logs here, would be really nice to have some more posted up.

SirMorris
04-08-2007, 07:55 PM
:o

No, really,

Serious congratulations. That's a machine and three-quarters! Oh sorry it's metric now, isn't it. That's a machine and 0.75!!!

Charlie

Yohudi
05-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Hey!,

Welcome to the forums Yohudi, i must say i'm liking the rocking horse looks really nice.

Why not post your build logs here, would be really nice to have some more posted up.

Hi there,

thanks for the kind words... have a few ride-on toys in the pipeline so will post pics of them when complete etc..

re the log at CNC zone.. it's massive.. loads of images etc.. would take ages to transfer it here. Will post any new info re my build here tho... adding rotaries when I can afford the machine down-time.. having said that Cut 3D lets me do a lot with 3 axis that you would normally need 5 axis to complete. The software slices the job up so that 3 axis can cut it etc

Yohudi
05-08-2007, 10:49 PM

No, really,

Serious congratulations. That's a machine and three-quarters! Oh sorry it's metric now, isn't it. That's a machine and 0.75!!!

Charlie

Hi there, glad you like it.... was originally supposed to be a smaller build but picked up some 2.5 metre Super heavy load linear guides.. couldn't bring myself to cut them.. would have been criminal.. so I ramped up everything else to suit.. Glad I did now as flexibility of large cutting area is a real help...

ttfn

Yohudi

Lee Roberts
06-08-2007, 12:08 AM
flexibility of large cutting area is a real help

You can say that again!

ok nps with the build log, you could post like 4-5 images just big jumps in the stages < :lol:

Kammo1
08-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Great machine bro and some nice work you have done congrats!! :D

Yohudi
09-08-2007, 03:12 AM
Great machine bro and some nice work you have done congrats!! :D

Hi there,

Thanks for the kind words re the machine etc. As I say I'm better than happy with it really.. would encourage anyone building or thinking of starting to get stuck in to it, you won't believe how chuffed you'll be when it cuts it's first piece.