PDA

View Full Version : Stepper motor wiring

Buba b
02-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi All
Wondered if someone could just check my wiring ! , im using Zap 23size motors , 8 wire to a parallel in a Gecko G540 as im finding wiring diagrams confusing ( ive looked at so many , at one time it looked so simple lol )
http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/pdf/steppermotors/SY60STH88-3008BF.pdf
Ive wired them up as :
A = yell / wht
C = red / wht = A

A- = yell
C- = red = A -

B = green / wht
D = black / wht = B

B- = green
D- = black = B-

At the moment ive got a green light on the G540 until i plug the motor in then it gose straight to red . So the motors wrong or ive got some more fault finding to do !.
Fun ahead i think
Thanks

irving2008
03-03-2010, 12:21 AM
If you are wiring them bipolar parallel then

A+ = Red + Yellow/white
A- = Red/White + Yellow

B+ = Green + Black/White
B- = Green/white + Black

I note the Zapp info lists a blue winding not a yellow one, but assuming the other colours are the same then the above should work...

Buba b
05-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks Irving that worked a treat , got to have alook at the diagram to see how i read it wrong ...dohhh!

compfranon
28-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks Irving that worked a treat , got to have alook at the diagram to see how i read it wrong ...dohhh!
what a find, same drives as I have ......

I understood the colour of wire selection but not which colours to pair together, anyone care to try and explain a little further

irving2008
28-03-2010, 12:34 AM
you have 4 windings A1 (red) A2 (yellow) B1 (green) B2 (black). When the motor is used as a unipolar the windings are energised in sequence A1 B1 A2 B2, but in bipolar configuration they are energised in pairs A1+A2, B1+B2. The tricky bit is that the windings are wound as opposing pairs so when used in bipolar parallel arrangement you have to reverse one winding of each pair to align the magnetic fields, hence the pairing of Red with Yellow/White etc.

compfranon
28-03-2010, 06:16 PM
you have 4 windings A1 (red) A2 (yellow) B1 (green) B2 (black). When the motor is used as a unipolar the windings are energised in sequence A1 B1 A2 B2, but in bipolar configuration they are energised in pairs A1+A2, B1+B2. The tricky bit is that the windings are wound as opposing pairs so when used in bipolar parallel arrangement you have to reverse one winding of each pair to align the magnetic fields, hence the pairing of Red with Yellow/White etc.

I'm going to print this out and read it beside the wiring schematic, appreciate your reply.