PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a spindle

kev
31-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi,

does anyone now where to get a spindle like this (http://www.sherlineipd.com/spindles.htm) in the uk, (its the first one on the page), or is there anything similar with a MT2 taper,
i just cant seem to find any un powered spindles anywhere.

Thanks, Kev

HiltonSteve
31-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Peatol Machine Tools (http://www.peatol.com/) supply the very same Sherline spindle heads that you are looking for, I came across them when I was looking for s spindle for my machine but in the end decided to build my own as I wanted something a little bit stronger.

Check out the post on my DC spindle build, may give you a few ideas for an alternative way of doing it.... http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php?1789-New-spindle-idea-for-my-machine-DC-1HP

kev
31-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks,

i have emailed them asking for dimensions of it, it may be a bit small compared to the rest of the machine i am making,

im going to be making a vertical mill, 600mm x axis, 220mm y axis, around 500mm z axis.

basically the z axis plate is 450 x 500 high and i am going to use a 3 phase 1.5 to 2kw motor belt driving the spindle

John S
31-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Three up from the bottom of this page.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collets-Collet-Chucks/ER16-Collets-Collet-Chucks

HiltonSteve
31-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks,

i have emailed them asking for dimensions of it, it may be a bit small compared to the rest of the machine i am making,

Kev,

I came to the same conclusion as you, that's why I am making one which is not as difficult as you may think if you have access to a lathe to do the mods to the ER16 milling chuck.

My spindle will consist of 2 angular contact bearings at the top to take out the end float and 2 bearings at the bottom to take the side loads, all housed in a steel housing which will be mounted with a couple of 20mm aluminium plates top and bottom.

Your housing could be made to your own design using whatever size bearings you think will be suitable for your machine but what I have should suit what you are after. If you want I could do some drawings of what I have to give you a starting point.

If there are parts that you need making that you can't do yourself then Johns your man, just speak to him nicely, take a couple of packs of hobnobs round and don't take the piss by 'borrowing' too much stuff off of him.....

John S
01-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Kev,

If there are parts that you need making that you can't do yourself then Johns your man, just speak to him nicely, take a couple of packs of hobnobs round and don't take the piss by 'borrowing' too much stuff off of him.....

Hey I'd forgotten about that stuff, lets see, 2 Kress spindles, toolpos,t what else ?

kev
21-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Kev,

I came to the same conclusion as you, that's why I am making one which is not as difficult as you may think if you have access to a lathe to do the mods to the ER16 milling chuck.

My spindle will consist of 2 angular contact bearings at the top to take out the end float and 2 bearings at the bottom to take the side loads, all housed in a steel housing which will be mounted with a couple of 20mm aluminium plates top and bottom.

Your housing could be made to your own design using whatever size bearings you think will be suitable for your machine but what I have should suit what you are after. If you want I could do some drawings of what I have to give you a starting point.

Sorry i have not been on hear much recently, been working on the mill, il get some pics up when the stuff arrives, i dont think the sherline spindles are big enough for what i want, basically im using a minium of a 2kw motor possibly up to 4kw depends what is available.

i think making a spindle is the way forward because i just cannot find anything on the internet, id be interested in seeing some drawaings :) thanks. this mill is going to be quite big and very heavy so need a fairly big spindle, most important question is what is the best tooling type? ER 16? i want to be able to have all the cutting tools in their own holders and be able to just quickly change the holders in and out of the spindle. how about an air powered tool holder?

HiltonSteve
21-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Sorry i have not been on hear much recently, been working on the mill, il get some pics up when the stuff arrives, i dont think the sherline spindles are big enough for what i want, basically im using a minium of a 2kw motor possibly up to 4kw depends what is available.

i think making a spindle is the way forward because i just cannot find anything on the internet, id be interested in seeing some drawaings :) thanks. this mill is going to be quite big and very heavy so need a fairly big spindle, most important question is what is the best tooling type? ER 16? i want to be able to have all the cutting tools in their own holders and be able to just quickly change the holders in and out of the spindle. how about an air powered tool holder?

2-4kw....!!! bloody hell, what are you thinking of milling????

Been playing with my new 750w (1HP) spindle the last few days and been milling aluminium with 8mm cutters no problem at all, not even a change in motor noise. Still got some minor vibration issues but I think its a combination of things that I am slowly working my way through.

As for a tool changer take a look at this and see what idea's it gives you, certainly gave me a few -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzR6L3lEXdM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzR6L3lEXdM)

kev
22-04-2010, 01:15 PM
2-4kw....!!! bloody hell, what are you thinking of milling????

haha, hmm well i have got an unused 3 phase 15kw inverter so i need a motor that will run with it, so what i will do is gear up the spindle, a 2 pole 3 phase motor is around 3000rpm, so probably gear it so the spindle runs at 12000rpm? at 50 hz, the inverter can go as low as 1hz so 240rpm at the spindle and as high as 170hz not that im going to run it anywhere near that!, so need a semi powerful motor to be able to get the low down torque.

i definitely want to be able to mill aluminium and im thinking it should be able to mill steel.