PDA

View Full Version : Bench Top Mill

Wobblybootie
29-05-2010, 02:16 PM
OK Guys, The Bench Top Mill, here goes ... The plans call for a sub base of Aluminium Extrusion (ITEM) 28mm x 240mm x 500mm. As a temporary stop gap part, how about a 25mm x 240mm x 500mm thick MDF slab sheathed with a 4mm aluminium plate above and below. The hight is not critical as it serves as a base only, with two rows of 8mm through holes spaced 50 mm apart and 22.5 mm in from each long side.

If it would help I could bond the sheet and MDF with epoxy and squash it between my table and a further pair pair of old surface plates.

Ross77
03-06-2010, 11:16 PM
If its not to late a reply then I think your option is better than the extruded option espesially if you bond it with epoxy, if you dont need the tee slots then dont bother with them. they look nice buts that about it, I still dont know why people use the 4 slot version and then only use 1 for mounting rails etc. there are versions with only 1 tee slot and they are much stronger.......

Wobblybootie
04-06-2010, 06:57 AM
If its not to late a reply

Never too late with advice or comments, ... :smile: positive or otherwise. The build is a learning curve and I do have a habit of over complicating or sometimes over engineering things. Mostly I sit down to think through a problem or method and end up confusing myself (not difficult) then have to walk away and return later. So it will be a slow process, but time is something I do have.