PDA

View Full Version : Making a Jig

Wobblybootie
06-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi Folks,

I have attached a sketch of a Jig I would like knocked together, I can arrange for the required materials to be delivered to you along with payment and return postage.

How it is made and what of, is up to you, although as I will be running a drill through the holes maybe steel rather than aluminium would be a better choice. I also leave up to you the method of attaching the sides to the top plate.

It's use ... to accurately position holes in 45mm Extrusion as (for now at least) I do not have access to a Pillar Drill.

If you can see any glaring errors in the drawing or have a better method of doing it please shout!!

Many Thanks

Tim

ptjw7uk
06-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Just a quick question, Is the extrusion a hollow tube.
If so and the holes have to be in line then your jig will not be all that good if the holes are to be made with a hand drill.
The part the drill goes through should be a lot longer about 25mm, that is if the holes have to be in line accross the extrusion.

Peter

John S
06-06-2010, 11:13 AM
You only need one side and a top, a clamp will locate it and stop it moving.
As Peter says you need a greater depth to the top part or fit hardened drill bushings.

Seriously look at getting a drill, they are indispensable.
By the time you have paid postage two ways and got someone to do this you are probably half way towards getting a S/H one.

Wobblybootie
06-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Point taken Gentlemen ... Off to find a pillar drill next week ...