View Full Version : Tom Senior Miller

06-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Hi All
I have just converted my Tom Senior miller to CNC and I am now looking into finishing the machine refurbishment. I have a couple of questions

1, The TS miller uses threaded cutters, and I have a missing holder for one size. This in mind, I think I will purchase a complete tool holding system, as threaded cutters do not seem to be as available (listed in adds) as other forms of cutter. Any recommendations as to the right concept to go for ? The TS miller has a 2MT drawn tool holder.

2, I am missing the fan shaped travelling cover which prevents swarf getting into the ball screws. Is there a supplier for these ? or do you buy the material and make one?

3, Need a cad package with output capability to G code, or a second package to convert the cad output. Again any recommendations ?

4, Has anyone complied a “jargon buster” for us newbie’s J

Cheers all


John S
06-06-2010, 04:17 PM
[1] Go for a MT2 to ER25 or ER32 collet chuck, ER25 holds up to 16mm and ER32 holds up to 19mm.
With 4 collets 6-7, 9-10, 12-13 and 15 -16 you can hold 6mm, 10mm, 12mm and 16mm cutters also 1/42, 3/82, 1/2" and 5/8", either plain shank or threaded, so 4 collets hold 8 standard shanked cutters.

[2] Arc sells these. www.arceurotrade.co.uk (http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk)

[3] Plenty of free CAD programs but the bit to convert to G code is called CAM and isn't usually free unless it's crap.
You will need to do a search, download demos and find one that suits what you want to do, the way you work and cost.

[4] No because by the time you can understand the jargon you are not a newbie lol

06-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks John
I like your No 4 answer, however having been in electronics for 40 years I can tell you were still inventing jargon (:o)