PDA

View Full Version : Sawed the end of my finger off

Robin Hewitt
20-06-2010, 03:41 PM
I noticed that the little wire wheel that knocks the swarf off the big bandsaw blade wasn't going round, tried to give it a flick and got sucked in to the machinery.

Saw the plastic surgeon today, he spent 20 minutes removing the swarf, popped what was left of the nail off and then stitched it back together right as dodgers. Looks a lot better now the gore has gone.

I may yet lose the tip but the worry is I nicked the end off the bone which may become infected. The most amazing thing though is, so far, the only painful bit has been the Lignocaine injections :heehee:

irving2008
20-06-2010, 04:13 PM
:eek:Too much information:rolleyes:

Hope it heals OK...

phill05
20-06-2010, 05:07 PM
I may yet lose the tip but the worry is I nicked the end off the bone which may become infected. The most amazing thing though is, so far, the only painful bit has been the Lignocaine injections :heehee:

Just wait a while and it will hurt like hell.

i2i
20-06-2010, 05:50 PM
If there ever was a time for pics, this is it.:eek:

Robin Hewitt
20-06-2010, 07:39 PM
If there ever was a time for pics, this is it.:eek:

I did duck out for a fag at Eastbourne General and found a camera in my car. A bit out of focus being taken left handed without my specs, but it is available.

OTOH Irving sounds a bit squeamish :naughty:

regards

Lefty

i2i
20-06-2010, 08:04 PM
you can't beat a bit of gore.

many years ago i helped a "friend" cut a few branches off a very large tree with a massive chainsaw. Despite his renowned stupidy everything went without a hiccup, until we had to cut up the fallen branches, needless to say it was me that ended up with the damage. Somehow he thought it would be better to cut under a branch rather than the top which was away from my hand, and yes you guessed it, he caught the edge of my index finger while i was steadying the branch. If it wasn't for my quick reactions he may well have cut my hand off. As it goes he made a fair mess of my finger, which to be honest doesn't look that bad now.

If there's a moral to this, it's, don't work with morons.

John S
20-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I noticed that the little wire wheel that knocks the swarf off the big bandsaw blade wasn't going round, tried to give it a flick and got sucked in to the machinery.

Saw the plastic surgeon today, he spent 20 minutes removing the swarf, popped what was left of the nail off and then stitched it back together right as dodgers. Looks a lot better now the gore has gone.

Clumsy Bastard........................

irving2008
20-06-2010, 09:14 PM
OTOH Irving sounds a bit squeamish :naughty:

Only with other people's gore... Im ok with my own...

See attached... after I'd been knocked off bike and broke collar bone in 4 places (and 2 ribs and taken all the skin off fingertips - but it grew back OK). Didnt hurt too much but the grating sounds when I moved were a bit OTT... :surprised:

Robin Hewitt
20-06-2010, 11:28 PM
I see from the xray that you swallowed your wedding ring to stop the paramedics pinching it lol

irving2008
20-06-2010, 11:33 PM
lol, yes took us a long time to work that out... its the zipper on my cycling top... despite being plastic it sems to be opaque to xrays

i2i
20-06-2010, 11:53 PM
did it stop the saw

Robin Hewitt
28-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Two years on I am pleased to report everything grew back fine and dandy.

Curiously I now have more feeling in the damaged finger than the other one. Lots of nice new nerve endings I suppose.

luke11cnc
28-06-2012, 10:45 AM
same happened to me but with a drill press I didn't use a vice and the metal I was drilling span at high speed and went through my index finger length ways about 1 1/2" my finger looked like a cheese string

It was 6 30am and I had only just started my shift (I was only 20yrs old at the time) never done that again

James

blackburn mark
28-06-2012, 01:47 PM
It was 6 30am and I had only just started my shift (I was only 20yrs old at the time) never done that again

James

back inth old days when they would let you out for a whole hour to wrap some gaffer tape aroud it ?

luke11cnc
28-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Yes mark I had to wait until I finish my shift at 2.00pm and the hospital was 25 miles away
this was in the days when you had no option but to make your own way there

I was making a bracket for a machine ( I was a machine setter)

Toilet tissue and gaffer tape and back to work for 8 hrs and then 4 hrs sewing my finger up at A&E

James