PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hello from Pompey

epninety
13-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Another newbie...

I've got a Peatol hobby mill I bought some time ago off the bay, part converted to cnc.
It's been in mothballs until recently, but I've completed the conversion and added Mach3 and a bit more processing power. Managing to successfuly cut metal without breaking tools or losing position, now trying to learn how it's supposed to be done :heehee:

Electronics engineer by day, off-roader and Land Rover bodger when time allows...

Stand by for some more stoopid questions!

Dave

irving2008
13-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Welcome aboard Dave

GeorgeD
14-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Hi Dave.

Nice of you to join,I myself have only just joinedand its full of qualified folk.

Have fun. :)

epninety
15-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks to you both... appreciated the pun Irving2008, intentional or otherwise :smile:

Certainly lots of useful info on here, been digging around about speeds n feeds, like every newbie I guess.

I'm currently going the traditional route... remaking my motor mounts now I've got the cnc running properly.

Then to start playing with some offcuts and learn how much and how fast I can remove material. Oh, got to build a cabinet too - running a hobby mill in your living room makes one hell of a mess :heehee: (I've got a workshop, but it's a 40 minute drive from home, and the mill is a fun thing to play with in the evenings.)

Ross77
15-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Managing to successfully cut metal without breaking tools or losing position, now trying to learn how it's supposed to be done

Me to, building a machine is relatively easy but using it properly is a PIA :whistling:

Electronics engineer by day, off-reader and Land Rover bodger when time allows...

I'm in to off road buggies myself but being from Devon I learnt to drive in a series 1 landy. What you got a 90, 110 or a custom 100?

epninety
15-07-2010, 01:40 AM
I'm in to off road buggies myself but being from Devon I learnt to drive in a series 1 landy. What you got a 90, 110 or a custom 100?

One of each! Well, not quite, not anymore at least. Currently got a 90" Ibex (http://www.ibexvehicles.com/)(daily driver), a 90" Defender (parts getter) and a Ford V6 powered 88" S3/Rangie hybrid in bits all over the floor. For the non LR people reading, that last one involves nailing bits of all your favourite cars together until the MoT man gives in. OK, it's a Range Rover chassis, cut in the middle and shortened until it fits under an old style Land Rover body, then the engine replaced with something even less reliable.

What sort of buggies Ross? 2WD, 4WD? Comp Safari? We need details!

Ross77
15-07-2010, 01:47 AM
What sort of buggies Ross? 2WD, 4WD? Comp Safari? We need details!

I built an 850cc mini based buggy for my A level project many moons ago, scared the crap out of me but he ho. got a gsx 600 engine to go the next one, and converting a golf buggie to an off roader as well , I,m also coverting a barn so have to settle for quad bikes at the mo.....fun but dosnt make you puker up like a true offroader :cool: