PDA

View Full Version : Hiwin Profiled Rail Question

Normsthename
23-07-2010, 10:16 PM
I have been looking around for some Hiwin Profiled rail to upgrade my homebuilt CNC Plasma :smile:
I need two lengths approx. 1500mm long for the Y Axis, not sure what size I need yet....... it only has to carry the Plasma torch and Z Axis

Questions
I have seen different part numbers for the same size rail and carriage, what is the difference?
Anyone know where I can get some, cheaper the price the better! :smile:

Thanks

Andy

irving2008
23-07-2010, 11:02 PM
The main differences are the number of rows of balls, whether they have wipers/seals, the height of the carriage above the rail and the loading they can take, whether the carriages are flanged or plain, and the profile of the rail (some profiles are better than others for sideways or twisting loads).

Since you have little sideways force (no moment due to cutting forces) a relatively lightweight rails such as HG15 or HG20 could be used. HGH15 can support 2tons static and 1ton dynamic (thats the max load for a specified wear in so many km of motion). MD sell a pair of HGH15CA bearings and 2 x 1500mm lengths of HG15 rail for £275+vat

Cheaper still would be the MG12 (http://www.hiwin.com/html/lg/mg.html) series, being only a double row of balls its more lightweight but still good for 1/3ton which is easily good enough for your needs... can't find an online price tho.

The other product to look at it the IGUS DryLin (http://www.igus.co.uk/wpck/default.aspx?PageNr=2404)

Normsthename
24-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Thanks Irving, very helpful! :smile:
I was thinking about using 20mm rail so that sounds like it will be the size!
I am thinking about mounting the profile rail onto a 40mm Extrusion and use the T Nuts to hold it in place.
It should be pretty straight bolted to the extrusion :smile:
These two extrusions will bolt onto an aluminium plate either side 10mm or 12m thick, not sure yet.... :smile:

Andy

Gary
24-07-2010, 09:24 AM
We also sell hiwin rails, but if you want something a bit lower cost we also have some ABBA rails that are the same as the HGR15 and HGW15 bearings.
These are slightly lower cost than hiwin.

irving2008
24-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I was thinking about using 20mm rail so that sounds like it will be the size!

Andy, your choice of course, but IMHO 20mm would be an expnsive overkill unless you have something else in mind, like mounting a spindle, in which case you need to be thinking larger

We also sell hiwin rails, but if you want something a bit lower cost we also have some ABBA rails that are the same as the HGR15 and HGW15 bearings.
These are slightly lower cost than hiwin.HG15 works out about £221 + VAT for what Andy needs, so cheaper than MD, but couldnt see the ABBA stuff on the site Gary...

Gary
24-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I have removed the abba stuff from the site, but will be adding it to he surplus section later this weekend.
Will be about 10% lower.

Normsthename
24-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the replys :smile:

Andy, your choice of course, but IMHO 20mm would be an expnsive overkill unless you have something else in mind, like mounting a spindle, in which case you need to be thinking largerSo you think I should use 15mm, like I said it only has to support the Z axis and plasma torch.
There is no contact with the torch and sheet, except when it lowers to reference the height for the THC
I am going to post a Build Log soon showing my proposed modifications to my plasma machine :smile:

Andy

Ross77
24-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Andy, your choice of course, but IMHO 20mm would be an expnsive overkill unless you have something else in mind, like mounting a spindle, in which case you need to be thinking larger

I have to agree with Irving, 20mm rails are way overkill for plasma, Ive got some 15mm THK and they are very strong for the size.

AdCNC
02-08-2010, 07:02 PM
have a gander here aswell.. these have a good selection and the service is excellent

http://www.wmh-trans.co.uk/Products