PDA

View Full Version : Bad Seller

fidia
26-07-2010, 12:19 PM
I had been in contact with a company who sell used school machine tools and was in line to purchase a Boxford TCL160 cnc lathe. I sent an email on Firday saying that I wanted the machine and would send payment on Monday. I emailled Monday with payment details and he replied to ok the payment then I got an email saying

Sorry, but someone else had already been in and paid for the machine this morning before I answered your message. Sorry about that, but I have been corresponding with several people about the machine.

EVENTHOUGH I emailled Friday and had sent payment info

Then I got an email

Sorry, but when several customers are asking questions about the same item over a period of time, it’s difficult for us, as not all of us are poised by the computer looking at emails.

Really poor service

irving2008
26-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Appreciate your frustration, but you could have saved yourself a lot of hassle with a phone call and a credit card deposit to guarantee the sale.

Email is a very unsafe way of doing business where you are potentially competing with others. Your email on Friday had no legal binding value - you could have rescinded it on Monday and they could have turned someone else away on Friday because you said you wanted it and lost a sale...

fidia
26-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Appreciate your frustration, but you could have saved yourself a lot of hassle with a phone call and a credit card deposit to guarantee the sale.

Email is a very unsafe way of doing business where you are potentially competing with others. Your email on Friday had no legal binding value - you could have rescinded it on Monday and they could have turned someone else away on Friday because you said you wanted it and lost a sale...

I had rang on the Thursday to say that I wanted to purchase and rang monday morning at 9 and they said the machine had accidentally been sold eventhough they do not open until half 9 and do not open at the weekend

i2i
27-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I have a 160 for sale if you're still after one.

danielbriggs
05-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Can I ask which tool shop?
It wasn't G&M tools was it?

If so... I apologise... :whistling: *REALLY*!

...it arrived last week...

It turned out the Boxford 160 was the older BBC model, with the 37 pin, 1Mhz bus connector, Z80 chips and all that...

I've got all the bits I need on order, hopefully have them next week. Then will begin the conversion. I plan to do it in stages, while maintaining functionality.
At first will be the basics to get it talking to Mach 3 on X, Z, spindle and automatic tool changer; then I'll pop out the drivers and throw some new ones in. Then go back and tie up all the loose ends on the control pannel / coolant side of things...

Anyway, I'll be sure to make a new thread when I'm ready! :)

Ta,
Dan

fidia
05-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi

Not to worry i2i has a 160 machine which I am going to buy so I think I am a ok. No need for apologies as you werent to know ha ha.

Just out of curiosity does the machine have coolant and was it working ok.

Cheers

Brian

danielbriggs
05-08-2010, 02:29 PM
So it was G&M?!

No mist coolant. Something I'm planning to add (most probably flood though) in due course. But that is firmly at the bottom of the 'to do' list.
(Anyone any pointers?)
The 8 way tool changer is ace!

The machine is in PERFECT condition, seriously... almost brand new.
I can tell you exactly just what the machine was used for. Just cutting stepped aluminium shafts + parting off. It's not even done a minutes threading... poor thing :(

Are you going to get a good deal on the 160? Is it converted? or RS232 boards or BBC Z80 boards still on it?
If you want, how about we help each other along on the conversion ;)

Ta,
Dan

fidia
05-08-2010, 05:37 PM
The machine will be converted to Mach3 when I get it. I think it is 90% there. Can the machine operate a flood coolant system? I saw on the Boxford website they sell the after market mist system for them.

Cheers

Brian

danielbriggs
05-08-2010, 05:44 PM
It doesn't matter what it could do from the factory. I'm sure a small pump coupled with the swarf tray will be ok for flood coolant ;)