PDA

View Full Version : Loading Calculator for Z axis

Ross77
28-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Another excel sheet that might be of use to some one

I'm starting to look at designing the Z axis for my machine so thought I'd knock up a quick spread sheet. 2 days later.........:rolleyes:

If Its of any use I plan to extend it to all all the axis and possibly make it in to some sort of basic machine design guide.

Should be fairly easy to use as you just pick from the boxes and enter the required data in the boxes that appear. Ive also save it in two versions so should work in all versions of excel, any probs then let me know:whistling: wait for it.....:smile:

routercnc
28-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi Ross,

Looking good so far. The basic machine design guide - how much are you hoping to include on this?

A short list might include:
The tool deflection in Z due to gantry / gantry rails flex
Tool deflection in the other axis when cutting
Maximum jog speed due to ballscrew whip
Motor power requirements

I think this is a start because alot of people ask questions along the lines of - will this design be stiff enough? How fast can I go? What motors do I need?

We and others, have posted spreadsheets with these sorts of things in, so time permitting it would be good to draw it all together. Well done for volunteering! The trouble is that there are so many design options, that it might become a pretty large task!

It would be great to start with a few schematics of various machines, from which the user picks the closest to what they had in mind. Then key geometry, material, and support conditions are entered. Ultimately after asking enough questions, the spreadsheet would give all the outputs, such as deflection, max speed, etc. to which the user can then compare to their requirements. This loop is then repeated, altering certain parameters, until the requirements are met, or a compromise is made.

If you can charge 50p a go, it might be quite a money spinner!

But how far do you go? Include belt drive? What about R&P? etc.

If I can help, and have the time, I'm here.

Ross77
28-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks Barry,

A short list might include:
The tool deflection in Z due to gantry / gantry rails flex
Tool deflection in the other axis when cutting
Maximum jog speed due to ballscrew whip
Motor power requirements

You are thinking along the exact same line as I am, A few Machine specs on one or two pages that then automatically enter on to the subsiquent calc sheets like your ganrty siffness one :smile: (no point in reinventing the wheel). Like you said its how far you go?? I had planned to just evolve it over time.

If I can help, and have the time, I'm here.
Perfect I was hoping you would say that, Thanks. Ive just about got my head around excel side on it now with the conditional formating. Its a pain to learn but quite a good program.

irving2008
28-07-2010, 05:47 PM
We could write a book on the subject :)

Ross77
28-07-2010, 07:26 PM
We could write a book on the subject :)

Now to me that sounds like a bloody good idea,:toot:

but I suspect you are just taking the P***:heehee:

Wobblybootie
28-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Go for it guys!!!

irving2008
28-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Now to me that sounds like a bloody good idea,:toot:

but I suspect you are just taking the P***:heehee:actually I was being semi-serious

posted from my HTC

Ross77
28-07-2010, 09:57 PM
actually I was being semi-serious

Well I'm game if you are, would be good if all good info on here (and in your head) was compiled in 1 easy to find place.