PDA

View Full Version : Need to drill a spanner shaft

GeorgeD
31-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Trying to drill a series of 3 or 4 holes in a spanner shaft without any joy :mad:

The spanner is dropped forge steel and the HSS bits have just about scratched the sufacelol
Any ideas to get me out of a pickle?

This spanner is pemanently located under my router table in a manner it will be withdrawn from the collet nut and fed onto the nut when needed but I need to cut/drill a cutout in the shaft for it to go on the arc slide here.....

Robin Hewitt
31-07-2010, 06:21 PM
A carbide bit will drill through a file if you don't mind a few red hot sparks, or you could draw the temper or you could weld a tab on the side then drill that.

GeorgeD
31-07-2010, 06:34 PM
or you could weld a tab on the side then drill thatNice one Robin,think thats the most easiest option as I don't have carbide bit.:toot:

ptjw7uk
31-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Just use a masonry drill. plenty of pressure when done bin it.

Peter

bogstandard
31-07-2010, 10:38 PM
This is what I use when I come across a tough job.

http://www.leofixings.com/fixings-products_Drill+Bits_Hardplate+TCT+Tipped+Drill+Bit s-10-132.html

This is also the place I get most of my drills, nuts, bolts, washers, in fact lots of things. I doubt if you will find cheaper for such quality, and yes, you can get a thousand screws for a couple of squid. Much cheaper than B&Q.

Bogs