PDA

View Full Version : cadcam and collada

cncroutman
04-08-2010, 12:12 PM
google exports in COLLADA format---are there free/dirtcheap cad and cam softwares that can use this---NOT DEMOS-not 30 day stuff-NOT 100 POUND/DOLLAR etc--real world working progs that give a finished part on my m/c.

Tom
04-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Hmm, cryptic, he is....

Sounds good, i've not come across COLLADA before. A quick search didn't turn up any CAM references though - do you have any links?

All the best, & cheers

routercnc
04-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I think he means that programs like GoogleEarth use the Collada format to store the features of the earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COLLADA

So this must mean that you want to cut out GoogleEarth images on your machine?

I'm sorry I can't help, but with this further info then perhaps others can?

cncroutman
04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for looking at this thread-the newest version of sketchup can export a model in COLLADA . This is some form of file output different from DXF ..STL..etc.The question is ,can I import this in a CAD-CAM program?--is it actally usefull?????? Sketchup modelling is OK---but not much use for cnc..any clues?????

John S
04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
There is an add on for sketch up that exports as a DXF.

Not used it but it does exist.

Tom
04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Ahhh, misunderstand, I did... (sorry cncroutman)

I'm not really any use in this discussion. I have exported from sketchup in DXF though - I seem to remember you need a really tidy model, otherwise you end up with broken line segments all over the place, and a nightmare to stitch it all back together again. But that wasn't your question...

GeorgeD
04-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Isn't Autocad free?

Just checked,apparentlynot.
Why do they do that...say its free but its not its just a 30day tial.

Gary
05-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Autocad has never been free infact the full version will cost as much as a nice second hand car.
Most software comes with a trial version so you can try it first to see if you like it.
Some use full functionality for 30 days some restrict the functionality.
Mach 3 is the same, you can use it for as long as you like, but you need to pay for the license to get full functionality.

cncroutman
05-08-2010, 10:49 AM
PLEASE DONT LOSE THE REASON FOR THIS THREAD:-I like Sketchup but exporting in DXF or STL is rubbish..Does the new Sketchup COLLADA file format give a REAL way of getting G-CODE???? or is it it just another dead end-----Thanks for your interest.

Tom
05-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Are you working in 2D or 3D?

cncroutman
05-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Re collada 3D Models please

cncroutman
05-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Sketchup and collada------MIGHT HAVE FOUND ANSWER-----its STL and FREEMILL:::::been playing for 2 days and have forgotten easy way I got from dae to STL........tomorrow I HOPE I CAN FIND IT AGAIN:

jonm
06-08-2010, 08:10 PM
free cad and cam software, gmax which is a free lite version of 3d studio max can do 2d and 3d modeling, http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

to generate toolpaths the cnc toolkit which is a plugin for gmax http://www.cnc-toolkit.com/

quite a steep learning curve but its free , have a look in the cnc toolkit gallery

cncroutman
07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
John----GMAX leads to aprogram called GSIMPLE--looks good but no tutorials ,so dont know what to do with it---------CNC TOOLKIT leads to files with .GMAX format which I cant open......I am notaa computer expert and free cadcam programs always lead me to deadends like this.....so I am learning Sketchup----regards