PDA

View Full Version : At Long Last!!

Wobblybootie
10-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Well here goes folks.

Today I started the build ... Well I had to clear some space first.
2598 2600 2599

Laid out the Ali extrusion I have cut and had the ends milled square (thanks Paul, more heading your way shortly).

Extrusion is Bosch Rexroth 45 X 45

Y Axis Frame Drilled and bolted + 90 deg Brackets

Y Axis Frame legs added (Levelling feet and outriggers/stabilisers still to be fitted)

Z Axis Frame Drilled Milled and Bolted.

Z Axis mounted, (Bracing still to be fitted)

2605 2607

2 X IGUS N-27 Linear Rails (500mm) with 4 X N-4-27 Carriages attached to 500mm length of T nut Drilled and Tapped (Yep you guessed it ... Paul ... again)

Rails attached to Y Axis

More IGUS Kit on order but Holidays coming up this weekend, so that's it for a while.

Robin Hewitt
10-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Wobbly

I think you have mixed up your plans, the guillotine is not until the revolution.

Yours in the cause

Robin

Wobblybootie
10-08-2010, 11:40 PM
the guillotine is not until the revolution.

Yours in the cause

Robin :beer:

Ahhh, Roll on the Revolution :naughty:... Maybe a nice blade instead of a spindle :twisted:

GeorgeD
10-08-2010, 11:46 PM
I think you have mixed up your plans, the guillotine is not until the revolution.

lolyou beat me too it,Robin.

GeorgeD
10-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Seroiusly,is there any need for that height in the Y axis?

GeorgeD
11-08-2010, 07:42 AM
I keep coming back to this for some reason...I'm getting the impression in my mind that this height Y axis is going to hamper your precision ie because of the tall structure it will tend to grind(For want of a better word?)along the X axis or even to the extent of lean forward.

I'd seriously consider lowering the height of this,but hey I'm a novice too but something is tellin me poblems are afoot.

irving2008
11-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Tim,

I was somewhat confused by the height til I re-read your blog and saw the pic... now it makes sense.... Will be interesting to see how much deflection you get in that Y.. you might need to double up on the uprights and the gussets... nice bit of lateral thinking tho...

Wobblybootie
11-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Irving,

'Y' ?? it's the Z that will be the most worrying, The design as pictured in the .pdf uses 40X80 extrusion I am using 45X45 but where the original has a 45deg brace using a section of extrusion, I am going to use triangular aluminium plates (something like 300 X 500 X I cannot remember my geometry for the longest side). I am thinking of using the space within the two plates for something, just not sure what!! The motor for the Y axis is mounted to the rear of the machine.

IGUS rails and carriages are being used along with Trapezoidal Screws etc, EMC2 as the software (software backlash compensation) wood chips and dust being my problem rather than hot chips and coolant.

There will be 1 Mt long (approx) 'outriggers' fitted to the front and rear 'legs' with levelling feet at each end + the two centre legs will also have feet.

The reason for the height of the Z structure, is to be able to raise and lower the whole Z assembly in one block thereby allowing me to have a 'tall' workpiece but still keeping the Z movement to a minimum.

GeorgeD
11-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I take it that the front of the bed length is for stabilising it? in that caseyou could shorten it by having the legs like so and still maintaining stabilty....

routercnc
11-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi Tim,

Got it now, helped by Irving's post #7 showing your 'artists impression'.

Nice idea on the sliding Z axis arrangement. You'll have to see how it goes for the really tall stuff, but at least for the small stuff will be fairly rigid.

Looked at bit like a modern version of an antique chair at first!