PDA

View Full Version : WorkNC CAM CAD

Tony The Ferret
17-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Welcome to the WorkNC forum, we ask that you all ask WHAT is WORKNC, will try our best to answer as fast as possible. We believe that the WorkNC users keep is a BIG secret, and they have a big advantage over other CAM software users......

John S
17-08-2010, 08:55 AM
So how much is it ? or is that the secret ?

Tony The Ferret
17-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi John
it is no secret, All depends on what you want for your bucks and how much you want to save. The price of the software is not the same as the cost of purchase

I Have seen other posts for CAM as low as $99, i have not tried these out so cannot comment on their capability.
But have also read in other forums of users who have thought that "ALL CAM IS THE SAME" only to be frustrated by failed and long calculations, or gouges on the part. Finding out that the cheapest is not always best for them.

WorkNC offers confidence and reliability,

What do you want, 2D , 2.5D, 3D or 5 axis, Wire EDM, Lathe, CAD
if you want a price contact me directly

John S
17-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi John
The price of the software is not the same as the cost of purchase

Sorry you will have to run that one by me ? Last time I went to Asda the price on a £1.50 box of cornflakes was the EXACT price I had to pay at the till.

Tony The Ferret
17-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Will try.
The price you purchase something for is what you actually hand over., the price of a box of cornflakes could be £150, that is not the cost
The cost of software is calculated from what it will do for you, and how much. Example.
a Cheep softeware could cost £100, The programmers hourly rate is £20 and the machine hourly rate is £30

a single job could take 4 hours to program and 6 to cut on the machine ir would cost = £80 + £180 = £260
If WorkNC being more efficient could do the same job in 2 hours to program and 3 hours to machine then it would cost £40 + £90 = £130
Therefore he cost of this part with the cheep software could be £260, or the cost of the same part with WorkNC could be £130

Which cost is better to you.

Then you calculate all the jobs you need to do in a day, week , month year and compare the cost of manufacture
I have a calculator you can download from my web page.

njhussey
17-08-2010, 10:05 AM
This sounds like one of those maths exam questions! You forgot the variable of how often you cut jobs against the initial cost of the software, and whether you are doing it for a hobby or work. Still don't know how much your software is, or is it a secret? I guess as you've not told us it's expensive!

Tony The Ferret
17-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Would not expect this to be used for hobby, the cost 4K upwards will point it towards the manufacturing sector

John S
17-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Why bother posting on a hobby forum then ?

That variable method of selling is rapidly going out the window, true a good CAM program can save a bit of time on a machine getting the best toolpaths but to say it will halve machine time is rubbish.

There are limits on machines as regards tooling, rigidity, speeds and feeds.
It's no good saying we can do this in half the time if the machine was running flat out to start with, and if you are looking in the manufacturing sector then experience has to play a large part.
Plenty of Mastercam and Surfcam users out there who can start work and produce code but how many experienced WorkNC users who don't need expensive training ?

I went thru this a few years ago. Alphacam cost £5,000 at the time in the UK, where it is written, at the same time it was 2$ to the pound so that was $10,000 but it only cost $5,000 in the States [ £2500 ]
I queried this and was told they had to sell cheap in the UK because of the market trends it was dearer here because that's what the market could stand [ exact words ]

So I queried if i could buy in the States, told no they wouldn't license it or support it, end of story. Where is Alphacam now ? it's a small niche market operator for the woodworking industry and getting hard hit by Vectric.

You only have to look to Alibre and OneCNC to see how the trends are going.

Tony The Ferret
17-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Hobby Forum ???? thought the strap line was "by machinists, for machinists". perhaps you need to consult with the webmaster.

Forums are here to voice the opinion of the writer (IMHO) and to pass on any experience to those who are interested in learning from others.

Regarding ultra low priced starter softwares. You get what you pay for. lol

In regard to reducing machining time by 50%,you do not think this is possible. I can only believe you have limited experience in real machining. How can a solution that has 40 different types of machining stratergy be compared with one that only has raster fininshing
Or one that needs to use a 3mm ball cutter all over the part because it has no pick out toolpath.:confused::confused:

Tom
17-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Hello Tony,

Welcome!
You've hinted at the price - is there a website we can go to to check out the features?
Something along the lines of.... http://www.alibre.com/products/ac_compare.asp

irving2008
17-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Tony,

You are right the strapline does say 'By machinists, for machinists' and we cater for all, though it is fair to point out that a large number of our members are hobbyist and small production users for whom a £4k investment in software is never going to happen. Likewise we have a large base of users who manufacture all sorts of stuff: furniture, stairs, kitchen units, vinyl signs, full and part car body models, etc. - they are still machinists in the broad sense but again maybe this software doesnt apply.

That doesn't mean we aren't interested in hearing about products and techniques that can be adapted. There are a fair number of members who are professional CNC operators and medium size shop owners who may have an interest.

Compared to CNCZone I think its true we don't (yet) have a huge base of 'big league, hardcore CNC programmers' - I suspect that reflects to some extent the different market situation here in the UK compared to the US, probably there are less heavy manufacturing companies and workforce who would participate in forum's such as these.

Everyone has different perceptions and experiences. The purpose of forums is to share that politely and informatively with reasoned debate...

irving2008
17-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Hello Tony,

Welcome!
You've hinted at the price - is there a website we can go to to check out the features?
Something along the lines of.... http://www.alibre.com/products/ac_compare.asp

Click Tony's user name then 'visit homepage' which takes you here (http://www.foregonesolutions.co.uk/)

Tom
17-08-2010, 05:57 PM
In fairness, the screenshots are pretty impressive. I will need to start saving!

Tony The Ferret
17-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi Tom
take a look at this site http://www.flickr.com/photos/cadcamzone/
some of these parts machined with WorkNC are unbelivable, especialy the "dream metal jacket". This is full size

Tony The Ferret
17-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Hello Irving2008
Thank you for bringing this back to a mannered forum, I 100% agree with you on the number of UK users, perhaps we are not a nation of "BARE ALL".

We have the same with training, our users do not want to spend on training, they much prefer to "muddle through and have a go". not to say there is a big need for training, we never suggest to any company that they will need more than 3 days for WorkNC-CAM, perhaps another 1 for WorkNC-CAD and only another 2 for full 5 axis. (did you know CAD was included, yes a full 3D CAD with surface and solid as well as 2D).
It is upto us all to shout about "mycncuk", and get more visitors:toot:

John S
17-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm very impressed with the Kubuto helmet, I presume this is 5 axis ?

However I still feel it's the wrong forum regardless of what Irving says, you need to look at some of the current posts, we have guys on here that are making motor mounts from MDF, others who are hard pressed to make an axis with 6 skate bearings and others who can't afford a book to learn to use a lathe correctly.

A £350 per month rental fee is definitely not on the books.

Tony The Ferret
18-08-2010, 08:25 AM
I do fully understand that there is not one size that fits all, same as shoes, cars and tellys, if we all had the same there would only be one telly maker in the world, or one car maker. We have many of each.

We now have WorkNC as a subject on its own,, in only 2 days.

The UK does not have many dedicated CNC forums, and it looks like not many subscribers, if WorkNC coverage can increase any of these it must be good for us all.

There are individuals out there that are "thinking" about going it alone and starting a manufacturing unit, rental is the easy option. It is difficult for new companies to get credit or arrange finance to purchase software. Rental meets this requirement.

Also the rental is part payment if you want to purchase the system (50/50). Some of the members want machining done, if some of the WorkNC users see this then both can benefit :smile:

Software rental is the way forward in the market.

irving2008
18-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Software rental is the way forward in the market.

Thats an interesting statement, and one that deserves a wider discussion. A lot will depend on how a company treats software licences, support and/or rental on its books - for most companies rental would be a hit on the P&L which is not necessarily a good thing, while capital may be harder to find its not actually impossible. To make the economic argument you need to show the TCO for both rental and purchase over 3 or 5y incuding all ancillary costs and the cost of money. And that will change depending on whether you think we are in a recessive economy or a growth economy (and the jury is still out on that). Would you like to expand further?

Tony The Ferret
18-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Nice to get your reply, i would prefer to leave this discussion open to all the other readers. I just know from experience several users who are renting say it is a good option,

No lengthy contracts
3 months notice to cancel
No credit checks
Open to registered companies only
No work, cancel the rental
Lots of work, consider converting the rental to a purchase,
Uncertain future, continue renting

Tony The Ferret
30-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi everybody, back from hols and ready for more questions.....
Does any one need wire EDM software, or 2D to drive a router, or 2D lathe... If so WorkNC also has a standalone module for each of these (and CAD included) prices vary, not a secret, but if you need them, just ask

h4ppy-chris
12-01-2011, 02:30 PM
price for 2d to drive mill?

M250cnc
12-01-2011, 03:11 PM
price for 2d to drive mill?

Have you got a price of Vectric they have what you want in "Cut2D" they have excellent reviews but i have not used it myself.

You should also decide if you are only going for one machine type as in Vectric, is is router mill only if you are going all the way you should choose one that covers all the machine types you will use.

Phil