PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Hello from Manchester

electricwizard
25-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Oh no, a speech...

My name is Colin, I'm from the outskirts of Manchester in the north of England.

I'm getting a bit itchy for a proper hobby, something productive to get me away from the pub (keep that under your hat, it's blasphemy around here). I don't really have an agenda, just to learn something and have a tinker.

As a kid I was always helping my Dad build rabbit hutches, garden sheds, you name it. By trade I am a Computer Programmer, with a bit of Web Design etc thrown in as the economy dictates. CNC machining has always interested me, combining good old *making* things with the precision and aid of computers just evokes something.

I don't currently have any CNC machinery but in the coming months I will be acquiring a bit of space to use as a workshop and I'm using this time to prepare myself, whether that be what machinery would make a good initial investment, or as much information about how to build my own starter rig.

I don't have any experience with CNC/Machining itself, but I'm pretty good on the computer side of things. I've worked with (and generated) code similar to G-Code in the past and I can rig up bits of software and computers pretty easily. My electronics skills could be a bit stronger since my Dad is an electrician (sorry Dad!) but I'm a quick learner and avidly obsessive when I get into something.

I'm more than happy to try and help out where I can in exchange for poring over the archives here and picking brains where needed.

irving2008
25-08-2010, 05:42 PM
hi Colin and welcome to.the site. plenty of info here to help and don't be afraid to ask questions!

electricwizard
26-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the welcome, time to get snooping and learning.

GeorgeD
26-08-2010, 11:14 AM
How do Colin.

Welcome aboard.

Ps Electical and Electronics don't necessarily go hand in hand ieYour dad is an Electrician doesn't mean he studied/trained to be an Electronics Engineer. :wink:

electricwizard
26-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Ps Electical and Electronics don't necessarily go hand in hand ieYour dad is an Electrician doesn't mean he studied/trained to be an Electronics Engineer. :wink:

Fair point George, my experiences are kinda minimal and at both ends of the scale. I did a couple of courses in chip design, laying out simple arithmetic units using CAD etc at uni but it's not very applicable to the real world (no surprise there then!), and I can follow instructions and solder circuits and assemble ICs onto PCBs and whatever no problem, but my understanding isn't enough to modify or create my own circuits. Anyway - hopefully I can figure out enough to get by and get my first machine on the go and take it from there.