PDA

View Full Version : Mach3 4 axis Hot wire screen set

sharbold
26-08-2010, 05:55 AM
Here are a few screen shots of a screen set I designed for controlling a hot wire foam cutter.

Here is the screen set if anyone is interested.
http://odysseywood.us/profili/CNC%20Foam.zip

Sam

GeorgeD
26-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi Sam

Not too familiar with the tower foam cutters,but I would have thought that with them being identical towers and each one supports/carrys and guides the hotwire through its paces but at identicl co-ords therefore all axises motors wired in parralell with each other on the three independant axis.

I see in your screen layout that one axis is out of sync is that the way it should be?

I'm thinking if one axis lags behind this would cause a problem?

ecat
26-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Looks like a sweet front end :)

Hi Sam
I see in your screen layout that one axis is out of sync is that the way it should be?

Different X and Ys, left and right, allows for the cutting of more complex profiles.

Vic66
26-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Not all wings are parallel chord, the wing could be tapered or have washout

routercnc
26-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi Sharbold,
Great work there, looking really good. I've not used Profili2, but heard alot of good things about it. Will it generate Gcode to drive mach3 as suggested in the title area?
Hope rckeith is reading this, perfect for the foam cutter he is building!

Hi Vic66,
Good point about tapered wings, but can the wire manage washout? Not having used foam cutters I'm trying to picture in my head how the wire would move to do that - being pulled taut limits the possibilities I think, unless you overcut into the waste using multiple passes?
For those that don't know washout is a deliberate twist (to a lower angle of attack) as the wing goes from the root (near fuselage) to the tip. This helps reduce tip stall at lower speeds on tapered wings, for a compromise at high speeds.

Vic66
26-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Not used a cnc foam cutter either, just templates and bow, I have been slowly collecting parts for one though. I would imagine you could achieve washout with multiple passes with a bit of thought, although I havent gone through that process, you could make the wing half in multiple pieces as well, my comment was in response to George's question about the axis's not being parallel but myself and ecat must have replied at about the same time.

Jonathan
26-08-2010, 01:48 PM
For those that don't know washout is a deliberate twist...tapered wings

Sounds like a wind turbine blade to me! I did consider using this method to make blades, just covering the foam in fiberglass. I was just going to carve the foam by hand though as I didn't think a CNC hot wire cutter would be up to it.

sharbold
27-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Yes Profili Pro will output Gcode that will run in Mach3. If fact the screen shot was taken while running Gcode produced from Profili Pro.

Hi Sharbold,
Great work there, looking really good. I've not used Profili2, but heard alot of good things about it. Will it generate Gcode to drive mach3 as suggested in the title area?
Hope rckeith is reading this, perfect for the foam cutter he is building!

As for washout in profili you can input the amount of washout and profili will adjust the tip of the wing to add the washout.

Hi Vic66,
Good point about tapered wings, but can the wire manage washout? Not having used foam cutters I'm trying to picture in my head how the wire would move to do that - being pulled taut limits the possibilities I think, unless you overcut into the waste using multiple passes?
For those that don't know washout is a deliberate twist (to a lower angle of attack) as the wing goes from the root (near fuselage) to the tip. This helps reduce tip stall at lower speeds on tapered wings, for a compromise at high speeds.

jregholdsworth
10-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Could you give a few hints on how to configure the heat control? does it use the spindle control in mach3 and if so pwm or step dir interface? I have a rduino basedhot wire controller interfaced to the system and I've got a step /dir interface for it and pwm..just a few hints would be handy..thank you

doronby
25-01-2013, 06:26 AM
Here are a few screen shots of a screen set I designed for controlling a hot wire foam cutter.

Sam

Sam
1) Where can I find the latest version of this great screen set ?

2) how do I move both towers a fixed distance without writing G-code ?
With the standard screen set you can set a 'step' jog distance. (which i use all the time with my CNC router) Going to the setting page and clicking 'step' does not change anything and the green 'led' does not come on

Thanks.
-Doron.

thermalseaker
09-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Sam

Sir I am Inquireing re: why your mach 3 screen top has all the profili buttons and such.
Not seem mach 3 look like this?
Where did you buy this software?
From Mach3? or some how from Profili.

Thank You
thermalseeker [email protected]

allen_g30
30-03-2015, 08:22 AM
http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15022&stc=1http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15023&stc=1

hello gentlemen.
starting from the screen is Sam, I made some changes. Normally, with the consent of Sam.
I will keep you and other changes. I hope it will be helpful.
with friendship,
Allen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drpzhgvb4aaebk0/FOAM%20CNC.rar?dl=0

mbj2601
07-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Hi Allen

Your screenshots look really nice, but it seems that the link to your dropbox are no longer working. Is it possible to post a new link, so that we can enjoy your work? :eagerness:

Best,
Mads

n0kjf
22-10-2015, 03:18 AM
as Mads said the dropbox link is broken, any chance of obtaining an update?

sigmatero
19-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Anyone happen to have this screenset that they could post somewhere? Looks handy.

allen_g30
03-05-2016, 09:56 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkomzg0dtteilm9/Screen%20Mach%203.rar?dl=0

n257jybelo
10-06-2016, 04:56 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkomzg0dtteilm9/Screen%20Mach%203.rar?dl=0

Allen,
Nice work on the screen. I would be interested in getting your profile xml file to understand the underlying hardware settings.

Are you using any macros or brains to control the functions or is it all standard stuff inside Mach3? If you are using macros and brians would you be willing to share?

I have my own machine that I've been working on for some time now and getting both towers to move at the same time in jog mode is something I have not been able to figure out.
Any help would really be appreciated. :joyous:

Thanks
Jim

allen_g30
10-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Allen,
Nice work on the screen. I would be interested in getting your profile xml file to understand the underlying hardware settings.

Are you using any macros or brains to control the functions or is it all standard stuff inside Mach3? If you are using macros and brians would you be willing to share?

I have my own machine that I've been working on for some time now and getting both towers to move at the same time in jog mode is something I have not been able to figure out.

Thanks
Jim

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8iyaulvhgcugdl/Mach3.rar?dl=0

XML file. all function is inside Mach3.

I never went very deep in settings Mach3 but, as we have done all settings, the machinery works well in both 2D cutting (letters, logos) but also in semi 3D (model airplane wings, cones, pyramids)

https://www.facebook.com/evergreenprinting/photos/?tab=album&album_id=747113028738916

JAZZCNC
10-06-2016, 01:57 PM

Jim are the towers working as independant axis like seen on high end hotwire cutters or are they slaved as one axis.? Should Jog without issues if slaved but if independant then gets more tricky and some coding will be needed. Could possibly do it with brain but would need some testing.

n257jybelo
10-06-2016, 02:19 PM
JAZZCNC,

The axes are independent (X,Y,A,B). I left Z for a rotating platform to do some funky shapes in the future (but I get ahead of myself :-) )
I have it running under G code control, but it is a real pain to get the wire close to the starting point of the cut when you cannot move the towers in parallel:) I've been trying to do with brains (mine and the MACH3- not sure who's winning yet:-) ), but cannot seem to find the right codes to use to make things happen. I have found no good info on what specifically each of the DRO, Button, etc. codes can do...

n257jybelo
10-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Allen thanks for sharing.
I'll take a look at this later tonight and see what I can learn!
Thanks again.

swmarsh
11-10-2016, 04:03 AM
Awesome screen set. I have one small problem. I placed the cnc foam folder in the bitmap folder, Loaded up the screen set and I still have no way to reset the E-stop. The space for the E-stop reset is missing. Can any one give me any ideas to resolve this.
Thanks
Steve

fritsg
01-04-2019, 09:50 AM
thank you for this screen, I am setting it up now, but I have two problems:

1. The A--/ home and B--/home switches are not responding to any input. X and Y axis are okay. wiring is okay. Input on number 13 and 15.
2. when pressing HOME ALL TOWERS, the Y-axis is going the wrong way (upwards in my case). I tried reversing in home/limit switches or set limit switches NEGative, but no result.

Can you please help me,

Frits

Boonie
20-01-2020, 01:35 AM
Hi Allen,
I'm a newbie, great work on the screen. I would be interested in getting your setup profile xml file & screen set.
The dropbox link invalid, or anyone who have the screen set can share?
Kind regards,
Boonie

Boyan Silyavski
20-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Just FYI at devcad.com is the best software for foam cutting i know of. I personally use DevFoam and i greatly encourage you to obtain it. Beats hands down any Mach3 screen. And with CNC foam you can control directly the machine

Boonie
21-01-2020, 01:51 AM
Hi Boyan,
Thanks for the info, I agree Devcad is best software for foam cutting.
The reason I'm using Mach 3 because I can use the Mach 3 with my router as well.
Those dedicated software for foam cutting either Devcad or GMFC are better for foam but each of them require new USB controller + software all add up quite expensive for beginner.
Kind regards,
Boonie

Boyan Silyavski
21-01-2020, 07:45 PM
I use devfoam to program the cut. As there i choose where the exact cut on the letter will be. And send it then to my controller in G code.

Basically i have an bolt on attachment to my Z that permits me to cut a whole sheet of 600x1300mm. Unfortunately Horizontally.And i have to stay there and pin the letters with needles so they dont fall and mess up. But does the job and i make money from it. Believe it or not , already an year i dont have the time to put together my big foam cutter that is supposed to use a dedicated controller for foam cutting, arduino.

onthemarc
16-03-2024, 04:28 PM
Just FYI at devcad.com is the best software for foam cutting i know of. I personally use DevFoam and i greatly encourage you to obtain it. Beats hands down any Mach3 screen. And with CNC foam you can control directly the machine

Hi Boyan
(Is CNC foam) the controller you are using with Devfoam. I can't find a controller like that on Google. Do you make most of your money cutting foam by making signs or what else is your best revenue source? Do you cut foam full or part time? Can you show a pic of your foam cutter?