PDA

View Full Version : An interesting build, sort of CNC related...

irving2008
28-08-2010, 06:07 PM
... take a look at this thread (http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39794)on the VAGDrivers (thats Volkswagens, Audi, Skoda, Seat, etc for the uninitiated). This guy (in Ireland) is a definitive 'don't buy it if you can make it' nut and that includes

making his own inlet ducts,
stainless steel exhaust,
casting his own throttle bodies (if I read it right, his 4 cylinder modified Golf engine will have a throttle body per cylinder),
remachining Ferrari pistons to fit,
a hotwire cutter to cut foam for casting various parts
a hot metal centrifugal casting rig for making accurate high speed pulleys,
but the crowning piece is when he decided the block/head needed skimming to increase compression ratio... so where most of us would take them to a professional place to get them skimmed, he decided to make his own head skimmer.... (becuase the Bridgeport's not big enough!) and to all intents and purposes its a bloody big CNC mill, tho not finished yet. The thread's a long one, but a fascinating read... the guy is inspirational but completely mad! :smile::lol: Definitely one I'll be watching for the future...

ecat
28-08-2010, 11:55 PM
That was an excellent read, so much info, so many tips and tricks. A good few laughs too :)

ty for sharing.

Swarfing
29-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Irving i hate you, i was supposed to have an early night but had to get to the end.......................The guy should have gone to spec savers and built a cnc machine from the start?

But he is a bloody genius and full of enthusiasm or what..

tumutbound
29-08-2010, 01:55 PM
And there goes my Sunday night!

Who needs a mill when you've got a router?