PDA

View Full Version : Design and machining raised letters

compfranon
06-09-2010, 10:08 PM
I have a custom "one off" depending on how well it works. to machine a square number plate with raised lettering.

Requirements:

Use a true type font
pocketing not scanning the surface, to give good character definition
small border around the perimeter
Aluminium plate

I'm looking for a recomendation on what packages are suitable to draw up the detail and options for software programming. I would like to do as much as I can myself, but have a few friends that may help but it's their work environment.

Appreciate any help or advice.

John S
06-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Like this ?

Just did this in Vectrics Cut2D

http://www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com/)

compfranon
06-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Like this ?

Just did this in Vectrics Cut2D

http://www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com/)

Looks just the ticket John,

Looks like I model and create a dxf, the vectrics does the programming bit, will the eval download allow me to do my job.

John S
06-09-2010, 10:36 PM
You can model and create a dxf then bring that into Cut2D or do as i did, define a shape, in my case I guessed 250mm x 250mm x 6mm thick.
then chose Arial text 70mm high , did the ABC bit. Then swapped from CAD to CAM and chose a tool and depth, calculate and job done.

No the eval download will only create code for the samples with the program, loco wheel, con rod and the badge that's there.

compfranon
06-09-2010, 10:38 PM
You can model and create a dxf then bring that into Cut2D or do as i did, define a shape, in my case I guessed 250mm x 250mm x 6mm thick.
then chose Arial text 70mm high , did the ABC bit. Then swapped from CAD to CAM and chose a tool and depth, calculate and job done.

No the eval download will only create code for the samples with the program, loco wheel, con rod and the badge that's there.

You make it all sound so easy John, pity the eval won't do my one off. OK, it's in the mix, when I get the sizes and details etc i'll draft them up as a dxf and work it from there.

John S
06-09-2010, 10:41 PM
It is that easy, that plate took longer to upload the file than do.
when you have your artwork as a dxf give me a shout and I'll code it for you.

compfranon
06-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Cheers John, that would be a great help.

compfranon
10-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I asked my mate to try solidworks, for dxf and to try toolpath, he says using the uk number plate font, the number eights have a sawtooth top edge.

Other mate tried using artcam 2008, using uk number plate font he gets vector errors when trying to create toolpath, both will try more, but any help or guidance would be appreciated.

routercnc
10-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Hi compfranon,

The UK number plate '8' has a flat top so that's a bit odd. A workaround would be to trace over the font (in solidworks or other CAD) and create your own vector version of that number.

John S
10-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Whats the font called ?

HiltonSteve
10-09-2010, 10:55 AM
If its the standard number plate font then you can download it free from here - http://www.fonts4free.net/show-font.php?action=show&font=uk-number-plate-font&textfield=COMPFRANON&Submit=Click+To+Render

If its not then let me know and I will see what I have got as I have a few thousand fonts and it will probably be in there somewhere.....

HiltonSteve
10-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Just downloaded and tested it....

This was done in ArtCam2008.

John S
10-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Yup works in Vectric

HiltonSteve
10-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Alright, so I forgot the S........

Happy now???

John S
10-09-2010, 01:53 PM
No.............

compfranon
10-09-2010, 03:57 PM
ok guys you're making this look so easy, i'll check in later and see what he can when he's finished work.

the text he was doing is a plate 235 x 178, 3 letter 63mm high on top row and four numbers on bottom row (8's appeared to be the problem)

John S
10-09-2010, 05:02 PM
aaahh, You mean this ??

routercnc
10-09-2010, 09:36 PM
It is quite easy to do this in VectricCut2D. Here is one way . . .

v01 create size of workpiece
v02 enter text
v03 draw rectangle around the outside
v04 select the text AND the rectangle, then select 'create pocket'
v05 in the pocket menu select the cut depth and the tool to use
v06 in the preview window select preview toolpath and the computer will simulate the cut
v07 Finished. Simulation runs at very high speed, and took about 10seconds
v08 save the gcode created from this toolpath, ready for Mach3

numberplate.txt is the Gcode
numberplate.crv is the vectric crv file containing the toolpaths (which you might be able to view in your trial version)

£117 well spent if you want to do this often . . .

p.s. if you have the trial version of Mach3 you are limited to 500 lines, not enough to cut all these pocket areas.

compfranon
11-09-2010, 12:00 AM
im working with mates laptop to try and get resolved with artcam. this is a one off, yeah yeah, so i'm hoping to get it done with no expenditure.

routercnc, you are a star, the level you have gone to in order to help is admirable and really appreciated. i hope you appreciate my "current" decision.

atb

compfranon

routercnc
11-09-2010, 05:56 AM
You're welcome, hope it all works out.

compfranon
11-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Some very helpful people on here, really very much appreciated - big thank you

I chose to go with Artcam as my mate uses it (a bit), another big thank you to HiltonSteve, he replicated my problem and confirmed there was an issue, he then went on to advise how to resolve but ended up doing it for me :redface:. Seems one numeric character was the culprit, with interesecting vectors :exclaim:

I cut the proto using mdf, which allows me to tweak the design ready for cutting in Aluminium and to incorporate other design changes that I know will be forthcoming.