PDA

View Full Version : Pipe thread in 22 tpi???

Robin Hewitt
20-09-2010, 11:46 PM
"Could you just fix the leak under the sink?"

It's the "just" bit that is so annoying. The problem is a platic pipe fitting with 2 tiny holes in it. It's on the boiling water tap so it probably didn't like the temperature.

I can remake it in brass but WTF is the thread :eek:

It's the same diameter as a 1/4" BSP but near as I can measure 22tpi.

If it isn't BSP of NPT or Threadform or 14mm ISO, WTF is it?

Anyone got a clue 'cause I haven't :whistling:

AdieR
21-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Tricky to tell from here without seeing / measuring, but I would have thought it was a BSP thread?

"It's the same diameter as a 1/4 BSP" - just one piece of advice (apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs!) but 1/4"BSP, when measured, will measure closer to 1/2" - pipe fittings are different from standard screw threads in that regard, and it does confuse people.

It isn't those quick-fit fittings for flexible pipe by chance (used in some radiator circuits, and similar in apperance to plastic airlines)? Pictures would be useful if you can get some.

i2i
21-09-2010, 09:54 AM
just one piece of advice (apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs!) but 1/4"BSP, when measured, will measure closer to 1/2" - pipe fittings are different from standard screw threads in that regard, and it does confuse people.

I'm sure he's aware of that.:smile:

"Could you just fix the leak under the sink?"

If it isn't BSP of NPT or Threadform or 14mm ISO, WTF is it?

:whistling:

The 14mm iso bit gives it away

Robin Hewitt
21-09-2010, 11:19 AM
It isn't those quick-fit fittings for flexible pipe by chance (used in some radiator circuits, and similar in apperance to plastic airlines)? Pictures would be useful if you can get some.

Panic over, persuaded the olive to come off so all is revealed. Nut bent, new part coming, found it had a 5 year warranty, got it for free :smile:

It's the plastic outlet fitting on the Franke 'Little Butler' tea making tap. I stuffed a silicone rubber tube on one end, finger over the other, immersed it and blew. Two tiny streams of bubbles, presumably on the opposite side to the plastic injection gate, looks like the weld line couldn't take the heat :naughty: