PDA

View Full Version : Nice one Roy at DIYCNC

routercnc
21-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I'd like to give a big thanks to Roy at DIYCNC for repairing my system3 board. I'd managed to blow the Z axis chip by incorrect wiring of the Z stepper. Must be more careful!

He has checked it over, replaced the chip, and is posting it back to me, all for just £10. I think that the chip alone is £8, so I felt that I had to give him a big thumbs up!

:tup: :tup:

GeorgeD
21-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Nice one to Roy,E must have one of those special surface mount desoldering tips for that chip removal?

One of the pitfalls of buying an all in one driver board,if you had not bought it from Roy you might of ended up buying a replacement board just for the sake of one axis going down.

routercnc
21-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi George,
Yes that's the gamble with the all-in-ones, but I'd been using it for 2 years before with no problems. Good price, easy to use, and does what I want in terms of speed etc. My own stupid fault for breaking it when connecting it up to machine mk2. Hopefully when it's back with me again I'll be up and running again.

I did look around at the other drivers when I broke this one in case I'd killed the whole board, and I noticed that the Geckos have a feature to prevent incorrect stepper motor wiring. Also Roy now does the system4, with seperate plug in driver boards for around £110 complete which I think is good value, and I'd probably have gone for that.

There's alot of supplier complaining on this forum (some of it justified) so I thought I'd even the balance with a bit of praise.

John S
21-09-2010, 10:02 PM
I have bought loads of gear off Roy over a period of time, in fact he's altered some boards to suit applications we use.
Can't speak highly enough of the guy. We found a very obscure fault with certain machines running with certain computers that was flagging intermittant faults.

Roy came down, spent a full half a day with scope etc until it had been sussed and rectified and that mod is now fitted to current boards.

We used to use some American boards but had that many problems we just gave up on them. In fact I just unpacked the last new board that came about 4 months ago from the US as a replacemant and one chip was fitted with two of the pins folded up underneath.

Colin Barron
26-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi John,
Which boards would you recommend for a diy stepper driver. I was looking at stepper drivers ay diycnc http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/driver50.html and the kinko http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/2...ml?cPath=44_97 (http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/2m880n-microstepping-driver-p-303.html?cPath=44_97)

The literature says that the kinco tunes to the motors, whats that all about.
Where the spec says 24 to 70 volts, is the voltage used matched with the motor used?
Anyone used these drivers?

Jonathan
26-09-2010, 06:23 PM
The literature says that the kinco tunes to the motors, whats that all about.
Where the spec says 24 to 70 volts, is the voltage used matched with the motor used?
Anyone used these drivers?

I'm using the PM752 (70v, 5.2A) from slidesandballscrews.com .... they're well worth the £50. Run your motors on as high a voltage as the driver will take to get the most speed out of them.

Wobblybootie
26-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Anyone got Roy's number? I want to place an order but cannot get his Order Page to load correctly ...

John S
26-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Email him,
[email protected]

Swarfing
26-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Tim

Just send him an email with what you want he is very good like that.

Wobblybootie
26-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Cheers Gents ... sorted!!