PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: New member fron Cambridge

GeoffV
29-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Hello All
I am a retired engineer who thought he could manage without a machine shop. I have CNC experience with Haas and Fanoc controlled mills and lathes, most of my work was 3D surface milling components for one of the F1 teams. I am about to upgrade a Boxford 190VMC, a task currently above my pay grade! I hope I can contribute to this forum as well as benefiting from it.
Geoff Vaizey

irving2008
29-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Hi Geoff and welcome to the site. Sounds like you have some useful expertise. I've not seen upgrades to a 190 documented, but there is a thread on a 260VMC which I guess will be similar, no doubt you've seen it. Look forward to your upgrade build log!

Tony The Ferret
30-09-2010, 05:10 PM
HI Geoff
hope you have some success, if you are used to the commercial world, it may frustrate you with the speeds and feeds available on this machine. I do not know this actual model but remember this type from college days (many moons ago) when stepper motors were slow enough to allow you to go for a coffee before the tool path finished.

GeoffV
30-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Thank you for your comments, how true you are regarding the speed of the stepper motors. Have spent a little time manual machining with it and am impressed by the finish but far too slow and very restrictive in the Z axis. Change of plan, will collect a Sieg KX3 tomorrow from Arc.