PDA

View Full Version : CPC,Farnell

GeorgeD
29-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Doyou have to open an account with said firms? or willthey sell small quantities of components online?

I'm under the impression they're?

Colin Barron
30-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Farnell i found easier and the trick is not to pay postage i think on the phone it is 30 quid but if you purchase on line it is 20 quid for free postage. Cpc is generally much cheaper even for the same or similar items but i think the minimum postage is a bit higher at 40 or 45 quid.
Both companies are really good and delivery even with free option is only 1 to 2 days. I use a credit card to pay before they send.

ecat
30-09-2010, 03:22 AM
Doyou have to open an account with said firms? or willthey sell small quantities of components online?

I'm under the impression they're?

Just register online as you would with most e-tailers, you don't need a company account, you may need to phone in your 1st order but that's not a biggie. CPC is the consumer orientated side of the business, Farnell does have minimum quantity requirements for some things but certainly not everything and a £5 order is as welcome as a £500 order. I found both provide excellent service, order from Farnell before 7pm (if I remember correctly) and the order can be with you next day.

Always worth taking a look at RapidOnline too http://www.rapidonline.com/home.aspx, good prices on some parts. Take a good look at the price breaks, I often end up buying resistors and capacitors by the 25, 50 or 100.

GeorgeD
30-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks chaps,was looking for this mosfet below and they had equivlants but really wanted this number,however its scarce so rather than pay a hefty P&P I opted for equivlant on ebay.

STW20NK50Z power mosfet.

Equiv:IRFP450 although this is only 14amps 500v the above is 17amps?

Colin Barron
30-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks chaps,was looking for this mosfet below and they had equivlants but really wanted this number,however its scarce so rather than pay a hefty P&P I opted for equivlant on ebay.

STW20NK50Z power mosfet.

Equiv:IRFP450 although this is only 14amps 500v the above is 17amps?
Mouser have them at 3 quid each. Mouser are first class to deal with but i think their postage is about 12 quid unless you spend over 45 quid.

irving2008
30-09-2010, 12:27 PM
The STW20N is the better MOSFET as its typical Rds is 0.23 against 0.33 ohm... thats why it has the higher current rating... and is slightly faster switching due to the lower gate charge. The only thing to be aware of is that the construction of the STW device gives a higher junction to ambient thermal characteristic so cannot be run at as high a current without a heatsink... STX = 2.9A max, IRFP = 3.5A max. With a reasonable heatsink there's not much to chose between them...

John S
30-09-2010, 12:27 PM
RS have them at £1.99 singly plus VAT
If you order on line there is no carriage, order by phone and its £5 or there abouts

GeorgeD
30-09-2010, 12:45 PM
If you order on line there is no carriage, order by phone and its £5 or there aboutsThats for RS account holders,otherwise its £10+vat for none account holders.

Irving,thats why I chose it because its a better device,but hey-ho swings and roundabouts.