PDA

View Full Version : Program to generate Gcode for wind turbine blades

Jonathan
30-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Now I don't expect many people on this forum are going to be making wind turbine blades, but I thought I'd post the program I've written anyway.

Any ideas on how to make it more efficient/better toolpath are welcome. Currently mach3 simulation suggest it will take 5 hours to cut one side of my 1.68m blade.

I've not added any error checking yet, so don't be surprised if you crash it! [Consider it an 'Alpha' release.] The Gcode it generates looks fine in Mach3, but I've not tried running it yet.

I should probably use C not Vb6...it'd almost certainly be a lot faster.

AdCNC
30-09-2010, 11:40 PM
You have my attention Jonathan. My dad does powered hang gliding and hes been on at me to make him a propeller. but ive not got my head around designing one nor generating the code.. seems tricky in my eyes!

Jonathan
02-10-2010, 02:20 PM
You have my attention Jonathan. My dad does powered hang gliding and he's been on at me to make him a propeller. but I've not got my head around designing one nor generating the code.. seems tricky in my eyes!

Er..sounds like an interesting project! The way I've done it is not as difficult as it looks. Basically the program copies a NACCA4412 aerofoil along the blade, scales it and rotates it to the correct angle of attack. It also translates the aerofoils in the Z/Y plane to create the tapered blade...making the leading edge curved not straight - looks nicer!

With regards to using it for propellers it shouldn't take much adapting...just enter points for the aerofoil you want to use (ok I'll make it so you can do that..), and er.......what's the formula for working out the angle of attack, chord width etc? It might be similar to a wind blade, not sure. If you can point me to some more information ot how to calculate the profile then I'll give it a go!

AdCNC
03-10-2010, 10:53 PM
hmmm ok, i will try and get you some info on the shape of the propeller if thats what your asking for?

Jonathan
04-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Yes, that's essentially what I'm after...some formula/formulas that describe the profile.

AdCNC
05-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Ok.. ill come back to you in the next few days, btw ive had a play round with your program and every time i try and generate code it stops respondnding at about 57% :S running on win7 64bit

Jonathan
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Ok.. ill come back to you in the next few days, btw ive had a play round with your program and every time i try and generate code it stops respondnding at about 57% :S running on win7 64bit

Er, looks like the % counter has gone wrong! If it doesn't get to 100% then don't worry, as long as the GCode appears in the big text box then it's done. I'll try and fix the counter...

I'm also using win7/64b, can take few minutes or so to run with a smallish tool - try the default settings. Windows thinks the program has crashed, but it hasn't ... just wait for it!

AdCNC
04-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Hi Jonathan, i was looking at your other post (the one with the prop) im going try n give it ago myself have you done any revisions of the software since i last tried it?

Jonathan
04-04-2011, 10:41 AM
... have you done any revisions of the software since i last tried it?

Hi,

Yes I recall changing and adding a few things. I'll find the latest version and upload it later today all being well.

Jonathan
08-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Sorry I've taken so long to reply - I forgot!
Here's a slightly improved version:

Edit: Uploaded wrong file.

AdCNC
08-04-2011, 10:49 PM
:confused: any luck with the upload buddy

Jonathan
09-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I've got it now. I changed computers a couple of months ago and hadn't got round to transferring all the files across.

I can't really remember what I changed on it, there's a few extra buttons most of which are not implemented yet! I will code them if someone requests it, otherwise probably not since I don't need them.

I think there may be a problem with the way I've not compensated for the radius of the ballnose cutter. Still thinking about that one...

AdCNC
09-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Cheers Johnathan ill let you know how i get on! :)